Author Topic: Who has the lightest ?  (Read 28213 times)

timk4130!

Re: Who has the lightest ?
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2009, 05:18:13 AM »
Well since we are on the topic of breaking/twisting frames, i have to ask: Do you think every company should have a no questions asked return policy? Yes?/ No?/ What's Fair in your perspective of a return policy?... Kind of like oddysey? Yes? /No?. What i'm trying to get at is for the last 20 years i have seen/heard part return stories where companies will say "you (the purchaser/rider) is too skilled/un-skilled for the product purchased." Or  " the product you purchsed is/was not used for the intended principle of the product".   So spending your hard earned cash, do you think this is a answer you can accept? Yes? / No? /Maybe?

TJ Perry

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2009, 06:27:13 AM »
I think every frame should come with a 3-4 month warranty where it can be sent in, and examined by the company to determine whether actual riding took place on it. I think every frame on the market right now should last at the very least 6 months. Sort of similar to how Odyssey covers their lifetime warranties where they look over the part to make sure that it's bent, so should every frame company out there. I think that's pretty reasonable. 

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2009, 01:04:03 PM »
I'll give TJ a frame.  Any frame.  I'll let him work his magic on it (just ride it for a few months) and get a good weak spot going.  When he's mangles the frame, we'll video him doing an endo and then have him get off the bike and look at the bent frame as if it just happened.  Would this be an accurate portrayal of a product with a production defect?

It can be, or not, the way things are going a frame that lasts only a few months, to me, it has something wrong with it.

We gotta be honest and straight forward, I've read on an on, on this forum, people writting about how flatland f*cks up parts because of the strange angles and forces involved, yeah.. right, I'm never gonna ride street, or at least I'm never gonna jump stairs, street also has 1,5kg frames and if they are as strong as some flatland ones seem to be, I will be bankrupt before I know.

Another thing that needs to be clarified is how long is "a few months", couse my rear tire lasts "a few months", I only ride my front end so I rarely need to change the rear tire. A "giant rubber o-ring" can't outlast my 350€, state-of-the-art flatland geometry frame.

I don't know how companies can really insure their parts, I don't know if there is any insurance company that would do it, or even it it's possible, but 350€ frames should last until I get sick and buy a new one.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:07:11 PM by Hugo @ Portugal »

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2009, 04:10:18 PM »
If he only had that frame a few months, and did that to it just riding flatland, it's a weak f*cking frame lol.

I agree. 

The problem is that such a thing can't be determined by the video, and the video gives the false impression that the frame just essentially melted doing a time machine when that's not necessarily the case.  He could have just busted the frame by doing some heavy street riding (something most would assume the frame wasn't designed for) or coming down hard and having the frame hit the edge of a box jump or something.  If that was the case, then it wouldn't really have much bearing on the quality of the frame for flatland.

I wouldn't buy the frame simply because I (in general) don't trust ultra-light, thin tube designs.  I wasn't influenced in the least by the video, though I'm sure some have been.

Offline Hoya

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2009, 01:19:09 AM »
How is is that the lightest KHE STREET bike weighs almost exactly as much as the Paris III by the way? How can it be strong enough to ride street with and still weigh close to nothing?
  Does it have to do with the geometry or what? I guess it might be a bit more prone to break but still..What makes is strong enough? Materials? Geometry?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:21:39 AM by Hoya »

TJ Perry

« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2009, 04:58:01 AM »
How is is that the lightest KHE STREET bike weighs almost exactly as much as the Paris III by the way? How can it be strong enough to ride street with and still weigh close to nothing?
  Does it have to do with the geometry or what? I guess it might be a bit more prone to break but still..What makes is strong enough? Materials? Geometry?

Double diamond frames offer the strongest possible design for any bike. The weak point on the paris/bad thing was that cross tube junction because all the force gets stuck right on that middle spot.. so it cracks.