Author Topic: DK Signal fork  (Read 2965 times)

Offline djmikec

• Backpacker
    • BMXFlatland.Net
DK Signal fork
« on: December 14, 2008, 08:38:02 AM »
On the DK Signal Information Thread, it states that the stock fork weighs 3 pounds 2 ounces.

Holy cow!    Is that correct?  As in FIFTY ounces?  Is there anyone who can please do me a solid and confirm whether these forks actually weigh quite that much?

It just seems odd because no fork sold on FF or Dan's Comp even comes close to approaching 3 pounds.  If they really do weigh that much, then I feel there is decent cause for replacing them with a Tanaka or something.  But if not, I'd rather just keep that hundred bucks or so.

I have an 08 Signal myself, but I'd rather not go thru the hassle of uninstalling the fork just to weigh it.  If anyone by chance has already taken the fork off their Sig and can confirm one way or the other, that would be great. 

Thanks,
Mike
Check out BmxFlatland.Net, created to help beginning BMX flatland riders to learn about, participate in, and enjoy the art/sport of flatland.

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
Re: DK Signal fork
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 10:50:18 AM »
I didn't weigh it myself.  Someone gave the weight to me, so I can't vouch for it's accuracy.

You also have to remember that most of the forks you're measuring against have removable brake mounts and probably aren't weighed with the normal fork hardware mounted (race, etc.), and the manufactures always weigh the forks minus the mounts.  That might take up to a pound off the weight.  That being the case, you're much closer to the weights listed for the other more expensive forks.

Offline jungldbll

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 01:14:44 PM »
Yes indeed, it does. Weighed it myself, used a digital gram scale. Some old forks from the mid 90's weighed like well over 4 pounds. Hope that helps. I've had mine now for almost 3 years i think and it's still fine. I'd replace something else first though. Bars, stem, wheels...

Offline flatlandfan

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 04:27:41 AM »
The forks on my 07 Signal were pretty heavy. I noticed it a lot when I went down to Suelo II's. Major difference. The front end would pop right up no prob.

Now I'm on the Ody's but have not ridden them yet to feel the difference.