Author Topic: Packing a bike for air travel (INCOMPLETE)  (Read 14075 times)

Offline smiley (Roy)

• GF Inhabitant
    • myspace
Packing a bike for air travel (INCOMPLETE)
« on: December 09, 2008, 09:57:35 AM »
I recently went to Georgia for the ATL Jam and needed to pack my bike for air travel so here is my how to...

FIRST... Check your airline's baggage policy.
http://www.usairways.com/awa/Content/traveltools/baggage/baggagepolicies.aspx
I was flying US Airways. They currently charge $15 for the first checked bag up to 50lbs, $65 for a bag 51-70lbs. So I kept my bag below 50lbs.

US Airways bike policy
Bicycles will be accepted as checked baggage for a charge of $100 per direction, if over 62 in/157 cm in total dimensions (total dimensions are length + width + height). One item of bicycle equipment is defined as 1 non-motorized touring or racing bicycle with a single seat.

Bicycles should be prepared for transportation by the passenger. Bicycle must be placed in a card board or hard cased bike container. Bicycles not enclosed will still be accepted, however, the handlebars must be fixed sideways and pedals removed, or bicycle handlebars and pedals must be encased in plastic or foam or similar material for transport. A release form will also need to be signed by the passenger.

As you can see getting your bike packed in your luggage is cheaper than using a bike box.

The bag I used is a Reebok 8k Hockey Equipment Bag Jr size (dimensions 36"x16.5"x16.5")

I picked up from the local Dollar Tree or other 99¢ store
Laundry bags (qty 4)
Pet tennis balls (2 packs, 6 balls total)

I picked up from Lowes or other home improvement store
3/8 threaded rod 1' length
3/8 nuts & washers (qty 4 of each)
8' of 1.75" foam pipe insulation
8' of .75" foam pipe insulation

PACKING THE BIKE
1.  Disassemble bike...
2.  Wrap fork legs w/ insulation and place in bag.
3.  Deflate tires, take 2 tennis balls for each wheel, cut a X in each ball & place over axle, then put each wheel in a laundry bag and put them in the bag.
4.  Wrap frame w/ insulation, cut 3/8 rod just wider than frame, and place nuts & washers on both sides of dropout, make a cut in the 2 remaining tennis balls & slide on dropout, and put in bag.
5.  Wrap bars w/ insulation and put in bag.
6.  Wrap seatpost w/ insulation and put in bag.
7.  In a small box pack: pedals, pegs, chain, misc...
8.  In a small bag pack: tools needed (chain tool, ratchet, sockets, allen keys, etc.)

This left me with over 40% of the bag for clothes. I used the remaining laundry bags for clothes and put them in the bag. The insulation / bags protect the parts from dings, dents, scratches and stops parts from clanking around and revealing your secret from airline ticket counter personnel.

MORE PICS WILL BE UP SOON
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:58:03 AM by smiley (Roy) »
If you are for real, you probably spend enough time on your bike that there's no time left for talking sh*t on message boards.

Of course, if all you do is talk sh*t on message boards, you're probably not as good or as cool as you think you are.

-- McGoo

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
Re: Packing a bike for air travel (INCOMPLETE)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 10:44:01 AM »
Sweet how-to man.
thanx

:beer:  :beer:  :beer:

Offline Claude

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 04:13:18 AM »
We used to do something like this but a little less OCD...err efficient.  Just kidding man - that's some awesome knowledge.  The only other think you have to pack is an answer - because they would always ask us what was in those huge heavy bags.  Our rehearsed response was "Sports Equipment."  But I like the packing the clothes on top - that keeps it even more elusive.  Thanks man.  I'm going to be doing this exact thing next year.

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 11:17:32 PM »
guys its definitly worth it... my frame got some pretty sick scratches last summer because just a patch of it was exposed to the edge of the suitcase.

i wouldnt take the chain off though... seems obsessive. ;D

Props to Roy for this!
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline diesel1ne

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 04:14:42 AM »
Sweet idea, im definately going to do this this summer going to Croatia, i was just getting so nervous about how im going to get it there, props,  :ph34r:
wait till i get my bike together =D..just wait

Offline Claude

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 02:12:37 AM »
Just bought this bag.  Should be able to leave my forks, cranks and seat on; take both wheels off, stem and bars off and that's it.  36x19x16  It's huge.  Ogio 9900, it's a motorcross bag with wheels.

Got it for $129 on eBay with free shipping but normally I see it for around $180

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 02:15:59 AM by Claude »

Offline diesel1ne

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 01:22:20 AM »
ay idea when this is going to be complete? haha i should be leaing any day now,, july 6th!! here i come europe!  :ph34r:

Offline ImUlllNosFides

• Forkglider
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 09:55:44 PM »
hey mates, do you know what are the minimum dimensions for a bike bag? i checked with my airline and they say the bag must be under 62 linear inches. and well most of the bags posted here and there are over that. or it doesnt really matter if its over a bit?

Offline diesel1ne

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 01:21:26 AM »
hey mates, do you know what are the minimum dimensions for a bike bag? i checked with my airline and they say the bag must be under 62 linear inches. and well most of the bags posted here and there are over that. or it doesnt really matter if its over a bit?

"luggage" is luggage  :wub:

Offline DaveDeBuono

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 09:37:52 AM »
I have a dk golf bag and recently went to florida from new york.

on the way there, she asked what was in it. i said clothes and bike parts (it was my only bag, held bike and all clothes and everything i brought). didnt want to lie outright. she said fine and we were on our way.

on the way back, the dude said it was 6 lbs over weight. it cost me 50 dollars. i should have just thrown out my beat old riding shoes. no talk about contents

its a great bag but i found it kind of hard to walk with, heels hitting and all that, but holds everything. i took off my stem/bar, took out my post, fork, front wheel off, back pegs off, pedals off. it was nice to leave the back wheel on. i slap that sh*t together in no time. i think i could play around with leaving forks on but i didnt.
life is short. stunt it.

the beard

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 06:05:48 AM »
that how-to was brilliant. some very cool ideas!
I just borrowed a dk golf bag and flew from tx to pa and back, no troubles. if you have other bags, it's a lot to deal with tho as far as size. these smaller bags look like the thing.

Offline diesel1ne

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 06:36:14 AM »
i dont think i should have any trouble packing the bike in the luggage i bring every year, then even covering it with clothingtop and bottom

Offline Medvedev Ivan

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
Hey! Big ths!!! very useful article! I travel a lot for Ukrainian area. Some times go abroad.
If I'v take a smoll bag I do next:

Offline Medvedev Ivan

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 11:04:23 AM »
When use the train (mostly) newer decomposes my bike :P In bus, puton front (some times rear too)

Offline Paddymcg

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 07:17:33 PM »
If you travel a lot with your bike this would be perfect

http://www.danscomp.com/731010.php

although it is a bit expensive it will save you loads in the long run because golf clubs fly free in the US