Author Topic: Flatmatters online  (Read 11029 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Flatmatters online
« on: December 01, 2008, 08:19:15 PM »
Effraim started his own flatland blog:
"I have launched my own blog, flatmattersonline. To launch the blog I have started with a debate article asking the question, To scuff or not? Various Pros from Terry Adams, Matthias Dandois, Justin Miller, James White, Sam Foakes, Cory Fester plus few more, have kindly answered my questions. I hope riders will subscribe to the blog and get involved in the articles, and also spread the word. Flat does matter."

URL: http://flatmattersonline.blogspot.com

Offline radoaos

• Backpacker
Re: Flatmatters online
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 08:55:50 PM »
Cool blog, I took the time to read everything, and it was pretty interesting.  Keep writing E.

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 09:01:24 PM »
So who's right about this whole scuffing business?

Just kidding. Arguing about artistic tastes is pointless..."Jock-strap, you rap. G-string, I sing" --(Tomohawk). Funny to see how certain so many are though. I've got the next question: "Are tight pants okay or not?". Just playin', thanks for keeping matters alive E.  :beer:
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

Offline handspin

• Backpacker
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 07:27:38 AM »
funny bit. i guess he hates the scuff. you can't scuff in london rain anyway

James White:
You can't ask this question without pointing the finger at Justin Miller. He does the most perfect links, dropping original bombs all over the place, then kicks the tyre for no reason, its like taking a big suck on your mothers breast for comfort. I hate it. But then, it works for him to keep it together in a comp. We all know how hard it can be to pull one of your simple links in a contest, let alone what he does time and time again. I could only dream of being as dialled as he is. But to answer the question I would consider a scuff on the tyre the same as dab (touch) on the floor in this circumstance.

seriously though, it's all about looking good and being in control. non-sketch-o-matic. i guess some people like being at the brink of sketch.. it's like wild style vs dial style. drunken master vs enter the dragon - both bad ass in their own right. can't knock it!
S I N C E  2005  | LA | SD | NYC | BOS |  ONE LOVE
¹    ²    ³ 
ʑɚȷʎʇʂ

Offline Paul Chamberlain

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 11:34:10 AM »
My wife is an artist and she says that scuffing looks ok sometimes but she hates it when it looks like the riders are just thinking about what they are going to do next.

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 01:02:01 PM »
Scuffing has it's own aesthetic.  If it's okay to look sketchy jerking the bars and your legs to get momentum via pumps, then I can't think of how logically scuffing would be worse.  The idea that touching a tire is the same as touching the ground is crazy, IMO.  Just another sign of trendiness gone awry.  Thowing some scuffing tricks in here or there ads flavor, IMO.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 02:04:10 PM »
word to the blog effraim, good stuff. Bookmarked and subscribed.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:26:22 PM by EZChris »
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline effraim

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 02:44:01 PM »
thanks for all feedback everyone!!!

one thing people have overlooked is that i asked the question, "at the highest level" would scuffing be a mistake, im not talking about for everyone, many a time i have wondered that as I have sat there judging, and a few riders have done almost identical combos, whats the difference? Sometimes it has been suchan such rider did that combo with 2 scuffs, that guy did it with no scuffs...
There has to be one surely, there has to be a way of progressing at the same trick/combo, a way of separating riders, this whole blog I hope will get people thinking and debating with each other, something good may come of it... thats my intention anyway...

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 04:07:41 PM »
scuff or not to scuff :huh:
its way easier to learn some tricks with scuffing 1st. but in the end, when dialing links we all want to ride as smooth as we can so that means no scuffing and pumping only turbine IMO
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:12:25 PM by mare »

Offline Scott O

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 05:25:57 PM »
FREEstyle.

Great Blog thanks E
www.voodoojam.com
twitter @emceeob

Offline Shortylonghair

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 06:02:31 PM »
very cool efraim,  :beer: but yeah, I guess at the highest level. but since most of us arent there yet (or ever will, due to work of course...) I'll scuff all day

timk4130!

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 09:26:45 PM »
I honestly think E is onto something here! My personal opinion may/may not count on this but needs to be asked by all riders, from beginers to legends! riding is riding, but look @ it this way effram, how many riders do  steam rollers vs. funky chickens? or  how many riders do stradle-ronis vs. trollies? Again, thanks E for asking the right/tuff questions! =)

Offline JAY1WM

• Cliffhanger
  • 1WM
    • 1WMBMX
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 09:29:43 PM »
we should be discussing this on the blog ? not to take away users but you know what i mean  :wub:

Offline Pralex

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 10:44:10 PM »
we should be discussing this on the blog ? not to take away users but you know what i mean  :wub:

I concur.

A huge advantage of having Flat Matters out of the magazine and online is the ineractivity...let's make use of that.

Offline trevoro

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 05:19:10 AM »
i have added this blog to google reader.

i have also taken it upon myself to post a comment, and will likely do so in the future. (not that i matter, i'm not anyone important.)