Author Topic: What made you choose FlatLand?  (Read 16216 times)

Offline Violent J

• Forkglider
What made you choose FlatLand?
« on: November 20, 2008, 01:58:34 AM »
Instead of Street, Vert or Dirt?

What was it about FlatLand, that made you decide that's what i want to do?

I've always wondered this, so i thought hey i might as well ask about it. I didn't see any other topics like this one specifically, but if there is... then by all means please point me to it, Thank you.

- Violent J

Offline pawnshopmike

• Cliffhanger
    • http://www.ebay.com/sch/pawnshopmike/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
Re: What made you choose FlatLand?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 03:29:20 AM »
Flatland seems less deadly, especially at my advanced age. ;D Plus it is something I can enjoy with my wife and daughters. I think I would flip out if I saw one of my daughters doing insane jumps.

Offline bmx4lif3

• Cliffhanger
  • So-Cal
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 03:48:03 AM »
I completely failed at street, I broke my arm in dirt (compound fracture), and park reminds me of dirt on a dif scale, Flat was all thats left and I loved it!
Progressed hella fast in it... Within a year, I dialed my halfhikers and hitchhikers, plus more. Mainly proud of those though...

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 04:05:23 AM »
I still ride park and ramp from time to time.
I go big.
I crash hard,  and I put my self out of comission for a while when doing it,
wich also = I cant go to work either.
wich is not an option for me at 27 years old.

so
to keep me still semi functional,  I choose to ride mostly flatland.
and keep at it for the long haul.
along the way,  I realized that flatlanding bmx is actually way harder
and much more tecnical and advanced than any other form of bmx.
Old dudes can still rip

Budz

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 05:32:11 AM »
i started out riding everything, flat, street, dirt, park, even tried vert(briefly cuz i was too p*ssy.haha) and bmx racing(briefly). i had(and still have) a huge love for all aspects of bmx.
where i grew up(Newark,NJ)there wasnt really any skateparks in the area in the later 80s and early 90s so i mostly rode flat and street. later on i got into dirt when i met some dudes who rode at the BOWL in Clifton,NJ(now condos. sad), then park n vert when Mullaly opened in the Bronx, Shimerville in PA, and Hudson Valley in Newburgh, NY...im the bonehead who knocked out most of the ceiling panels above the wall ride(Newburgh), for anyone who remembers that place.haha. just went to high on wall rides. i heart HUGE wallrides!!! ;D :beer:
after my back injuries and time off the bike, i came back just ridin flat. ive done a few small jumps, a feeble grinds(on 2" dia alloy pegs.haha), and carved a concrete bowl in the past 2 years, but i cant hang with that "hard landing(bone jarring) stuff" anymore cuz even doin a bunny hop and not landing smooth will rack my back and keep me from ridin for a few days to weeks. i wish sooo badly i could ride other stuff, but at least i can still ride flat when im not hurtin too much(like right now).
up until my back probs, i never considered flat specific frames and zero offset(tho i had a few flat frames). i always liked the "all around" bikes that i could ride everything with.
that is what helped me decide on the 19.75" Strowler earlier this year. i rode flat back then on longer frames and loved it better than compact frames so the Strowler was the logical choice.
crap! im babbling again...... ^_^

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 09:06:51 AM »
broke my knees, didnt like to go balls out at everything and hurt myself 4 out of 5 times to land one stupid trick.

besides, I dispise street bikes nowadays, I like to sit and pedal once in a while!!

Offline PeterJ

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 09:30:42 AM »
I love all sides of the BMX sport but Flatland really got me.
I watched allota internetmovies back in the day (2001 - 2002) and
really got exided about it, bought a ''scrap'' and tried tailwhips and forkstands and such tricks.
I left it besides me for a while and since August 2006 I bought a SINUS comlpete and really went for the big thing.

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
I'm a pussy!! Yeah, that's right!!

I guess I'm too coward to practice any of the other more.. violent, bmx disciplines!!

Nah.. flatlanders get way less injuries and I love my teeth and body health overall :)

In the end, the real reason is the actually the fact that it is way easier to find a place to ride, ok, street is also versatile, you can use public structures and in big cities that's a major bonus  but flatland requires nothing else but blacktop, which you can easily find.

There is also the artistic side in which flatland in my opinion is way complex and leaves room for one to adjust, innovate, shape, and set it's own style/flow.

Budz

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 11:59:08 AM »
I'm a pussy!! Yeah, that's right!!

I guess I'm too coward to practice any of the other more.. violent, bmx disciplines!!

Nah.. flatlanders get way less injuries and I love my teeth and body health overall :)

no shame in that at all bro. :beer: do what u do, and enjoy it. thats all. :mellow: :beer:

personally, ive always gotten hurt more frequently ridin flat.
everyone says im weird like that.haha.
i mean, i used to get hurt ridin everything else too, but ridin flat, for some reason, id always get hurt more often. street, dirt, park, etc, i would always get one BIG injury every once in a while. with flat tho, EVERY day i would get(and still do)some sorta bump, bruise or gash.
lotsa shin skins, and knees on the stem with flat. this past year its been my right elbow. went down with the ship hard straight to my elbow at least 6-7-8 times this year. :( pain!
funny...people bitd used to ask me how i never fell when i rode flat. um, they should see me now! :P
im a freak of nature, i know. ^_^
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 12:08:12 PM by Budz »

Offline williamflat

• Backpacker
  • Williamflat
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 01:37:36 PM »
I THOUGHT MORE INTERESTING , ARTISTIC AND YOU CAN RIDE ANYWHERE
EVEN INSIDE YOUR ROOM ...HERE IN MY COUNTRY IS DIFFICULT TO FIND PLACE TO RIDE VERT ETC...THEY ARE FAR FROM HOME....
I USUALLY WATCHED ON TV SOME FLATLANDERS AND THOUGHT AWESOME

I LIKE SEE DIRT, VERT AND PARK RIDERS

FLATLAND I HURT AND BREAK BIKE LESS THAN OTHERS

RIDE FLAT  :beer: :beer: :beer: ^_^ ^_^ ^_^
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 01:45:09 PM by williamflat »
Face your fears and live your dreams

www.facebook.com/williflat

Offline Tweekend

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 01:41:38 PM »
When I was about 11, back in 1988, I would meet at a mates house in the morning, before school, andwe would bust out some pogo's on his driveway.  From then on, I was always interested in 'Freestyle', and never knew what Park or Vert was, but it didn't matter, coz I was too fascinated with guys getting their bmx into weird positions and hopping around.  lol
I would always take notice of Flat when I saw it in magazines, or on tv, and would dabble in it for a few months at a time, every few years or so, over the next 18 years, before finding myself divorced, with a lot of spare cash, and just as much spare time on my hands, so I got a bike, and got serious.
Street, Vert, and Park is cool, but I was always in awe of the technical aspect of Flatland, and it was always something I wished I could do...    and now, I CAN..!!  YAY!  lol

Offline leeroy002

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 02:04:53 PM »
i didnt choose it, it chose me

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 02:39:30 PM »
i didnt choose it, it chose me
i just couldn`t resist not to try it. and after that........
still totaly hooked on :beer:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:49:02 PM by mare »

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 05:01:40 PM »
 When I started riding I was always jumping homemade ramps,1 time I crashed really hard and ended up in the hospital,with a tube down my nose..Was there for 2 weeks..When I got out I started trying flatland tricks,when my bro and his friends jumped haha..

I ride other sh*t too,like street mostly,I love street riding!! I ride flatland the most just cuz I ride alone usually...

Except vert,theres no vert ramps around here and I propably tried vert like 2 times in my life!

Offline AtlFlatCrew

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 05:19:13 PM »
i used to ride street and dirt for a few years before i discovered flatland after seeing it on the Xgames. i chose to ride flat cause it seemed like more of a challenge and it just looked like something not many people could do. i've been thinking lately about trying to ride street/dirt again because of the strong flatland background i have now, but i can't really afford another bike set up so i just stick with what i got.