Author Topic: Odyssey Zero forks  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Jakup

Odyssey Zero forks
« on: December 27, 2006, 06:56:22 PM »
  I bought the new Odyssey zero offset forks with removable brake-mounts and just installed them.  Fit is great, quality is great, but the brake-mounts suck.
First of all, the size is off, because I couldn't get standard or metric wrenches to fit; it was right in between.  So then I resorted to locking on plyers and twisting it, which just kept stripping.  Eventually, we locked on a pair and got one to thread off after about five minutes of working it.
  The second one we tried the same, but this one was on even tighter.  After twisting it for five minutes we locked the plyers on so tight that the brake-mount snapped off of the nut :angry:.  Therefore, the hold of the nut was stronger than the metal used for the brake-mount.
In the end, I had to cut the rest of it off to avoid having a gnarled piece of metal sticking out the front of my forks.
  Overall, great forks, but if you're going to have removable brake-mounts, make them so they're actually able to be removed.  I understand they have to be strong for those who run brakes, but if you have them threaded in so good that the only way to get them off is to cut them, you might as well not have them "removable" in the first place.

Offline bri (doogles)

• Cliffhanger
Re: Odyssey Zero forks
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 08:30:17 PM »
ahhh i see well you see it was made in america or where ever and they made if in imperial so it would of been something like 3/8 instead of 10mm you get me?

i had a problem like that with ti bolts for my stem i used 6mm allen key were i should of used a imperial allen key.
yes it really sucks but i cheat with stuff like that i brought a vernier/caliper and measure it and then know what to use hehehe

Offline SnowFlat

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 06:17:03 AM »
sh*t man.. i JUST bought  a pair to, and emailed pat, and here is a copy of the email
the mounts are indeed removeable. They are bolted on and anchored with loctite. So this will be tough. They are also painted after installation. so the first thing you need to do is take a utility knife and cut through the paint between the fork and the mounts. Then put a large wrench on the mounts (for leverage) and loosen them.

Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com
p515-244-0312

-----Original Message-----
To: FlatlandFuel@aol.com
Sent: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 5:34 PM
Subject: Questions

HEY PAT! i love my new oddy forks. but i ahve a qeustion about them(they are zer
offset) and it says it has removable mounts.. how do i go about removing them?
thnx!

There you go ;D
Do you smoke? No. What do u do then? Ride a bicycle.

Offline Jakup

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 06:59:18 AM »
ahhh i see well you see it was made in america or where ever and they made if in imperial so it would of been something like 3/8 instead of 10mm you get me?
  Yes, that's what I meant by "standard."  I tried both.  It was right in between 1/2" and 9/16" I believe, but also wouldn't fit any metric sizes.  Regardless, that didn't matter, as the metal was too soft to twist it. 
  I literally had the mount crushed we clamped it so tight before the one would twist off.  On the other, we clamped it so tight and twisted it so hard that the metal itself spun, but the mount didn't unthread, thus snapping the end of the mount off.  That means that the force needed to thread the mount out of the fork was stronger than the metal the mount was made of (e.g. hypothetically it would take 100 ft/lbs of pressure to twist the mount off, but the metal can only take 80 ft/lbs before it breaks).  Kind of makes having them "removable" pointless.

Offline AMO

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 10:44:09 AM »
Everybody does it.... My advice: Before you get carried away in the excitement of installing a new product why don't you see if you have the right tools to do the job.  A set of Allen wrenches with both metric and empirial measurements go for about 8€ or 10$.  Wise up.

On another note: if your product got screwed up because manufacturing flaws - be patient and send it right back.

Offline Jakup

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 05:21:22 PM »
First of all, as I've said twice, I did try both metric and empirical wrenches: neither fit.
Secondly, we're not talking about allen wrenches here.

Offline bri (doogles)

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 01:01:00 AM »
na he was referring to me.
well you see i thought it was 6mm as all the other ti bolts i brought for my profile cranks were in mm so i guess they were. ive never found a part with imperial other when you buy wheels but thats just 3/8.
ive gone through a lot of parts over 6 years and never had that. did have those tools by the way but as you know some times your stem takes a beating and with a change in weather can expand metal so it was stiff and rounded off with a push.

so im sorry i didnt see it comming  ;D

wise up? umm i think you should
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 01:03:36 AM by doogles »

Offline Jakup

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 07:00:03 AM »
If it is empirical, it must have been in 1/32" incrimants.  1/2" didn't work, and niether did 9/16", so it would have to be 17/32".  That would be an odd size to make it, as I doubt many people have wrenches of that size.
Nevertheless, if they just didn't require an obscene amount of force to break loose, they'd be perfect, regardless of size.  Other than that, great forks.

Offline Jesse Vetrone

• GF Inhabitant
  • Columbus can shove it. the world IS flat.
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 05:05:14 PM »
Sorry to hear that happened. Thats got to be one of the worst feelings ever. I don't know about you but I struggle for every penny, so when I buy a part it and it dosent work out, it's a major dissapointment.

Phatman

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 11:31:42 PM »
Get in touch with odyssey about a warentee if the mount has broken off attached to the fork and ask them EXACTLY what size spanner/wrench/allen key you need to fit them.

Offline Jesse Vetrone

• GF Inhabitant
  • Columbus can shove it. the world IS flat.
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 11:49:25 PM »
If you've got a new, never before done concepet like that I think you need more r&d than oddesey put into it. simple as that. I might buy the next generation of forks because I bet some of the kinks will be worked out  -_-

Offline Jakup

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 03:49:44 AM »
I tried an adjustable wrench.  They were on so tight that it'd force the wrench to loosen slightly and it'd slip off the nut.

Offline Mike - E

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 10:39:07 AM »
wow so it wasn't just me with this nonsense, i'm a proud owner of the odyssey
zero forks along with the rest of their stuff on my ride, but yes i have to say,
this gave me way too much hell i tried losining the bolts in the end my alternative
was to just break them off and stay brakeless....pretty wack, but yea i'm gonna contact them about the matter infact we all should....i'm pretty sure they will here us out.
visualize the action then actualize the vision.