Author Topic: slip and slide problems again!  (Read 3234 times)

timk4130!

slip and slide problems again!
« on: November 27, 2008, 07:41:19 AM »
For those that maintain a very decent indoor spot during the winter months , i have to ask, what is the best way (chemical) to use in getting a slip free surface on smooth concrete? i mop and dry my garage every monday and friday (with 1 bucket of water to 1 can of coke ) with-in those time periods my spot becomes some-what slick ( maybe to my personal prefrence) but do you think i should use more coke or use try something else? ( i end up spending a good 30 minutes a day sweeping/dry mopping by the time i can ride every morning as well) Hopefully someone can help me out here....or give me some better insight to try a different path...thanks...=)

Offline Hoya

• Cliffhanger
Re: slip and slide problems again!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 10:36:29 AM »
Some kind of acid? Will probably make it a bit rugged so dont use anything too strong but obviously stronger than coke, lol..

byke

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 10:40:46 AM »
I wonder if a small amount of flour added to the water/coke mixture would help?
would that help create a more robust glue style basis?

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 10:44:08 AM »
i just mop it with water-no chemicals
but don`t forget to clean your tires too, cause i it`s very important to have clean tires not just floor - i`m serious
try and report, take care

timk4130!

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 06:25:53 PM »
i never have a problem with clean/contanimant free tires....I did get a p.m. from a good friend out my way and will try his idea, and report back. Thanks...=)

Offline jerr6

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 08:06:02 PM »
you can rough the concrete up with acid. the kind they give you with those garage floor finishing kits.

Offline mid_night gypsy

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 01:09:59 AM »
Some kind of acid? Will probably make it a bit rugged so dont use anything too strong but obviously stronger than coke, lol..
Tim,
 It's as easy as gettin' a bottle of vinger from the store. you can also get a bottle of rubbing alcohol to help the mop water mix dry faster.....Russ

Offline misterpola

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 01:11:51 AM »
COKE!

;D

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 07:48:03 AM »
The problem sounds like concrete dust is making it slippery. Is it unsealed? Give it a coat of concrete sealer and mission accomplished.

Offline MING

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »
Throw a big party at your spot. Then hopfully the people that will attend your little gatering will bring there own coke and acid making a huge saving on your behalf.
There is nothing like a party to get any surface sticky.  ;D

Offline pawnshopmike

• Cliffhanger
    • http://www.ebay.com/sch/pawnshopmike/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 02:10:56 PM »
Would this work well? http://www.tennisuniversal.com/

the beard

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 07:38:12 PM »
i never have a problem with clean/contanimant free tires....I did get a p.m. from a good friend out my way and will try his idea, and report back. Thanks...=)

if your tires stay clean, the floor is clean. maybe more coke in your mix?  different tires? idk man.

timk4130!

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 06:44:11 PM »
So i want to do a update on this.........

When i 1st  posted this up it was  starting to get bitter cold out , just like everywhere else north of me , and several  places in the mid-west. I never took  condensation into consideration , but that was a big  problem , as i have finally figured out. trying to wear shorts , and a short sleeve shirt  in a garage was my main prority with the heat, so anything above 65 degrees is a good thing .
 I did however get a p.m. from good buddy/ f*cking awesome rider Steph Cerra
 (i think the day after i had posted this up ?)
(you know you are- don't lie!  ^_^ )
He had mentioned to me that there was a garage floor paint  that i could purchase @ home depot, but i did  find it to be a few $$$ cheaper @ lowes.
It was almost a kit like application , and  there was some stuff  to mix in with it , and  make it even grippier.
 Steph mad mentioned to me , that i would not need to mix this stuff in . I have accually heard of people adding a sand mixture aswell to it , but not for  a flatland only type application.
 (witch is where i will now be spening the majority of my time  from now on, permantly, good weather , or bad , this way i dont have to deal with the elements of mother-nature.)
Even though i still deal with the fact of condensation though-out the garage for the winter time , i can honestly  say that this has helped a ton!
So thanks Steph for helping me out!
I owe ya 1 bro!
Also , this has not only made clean - up easier, and more effient, but has also  put me on my bike more, considering i was  cleaning , after cleaning , after cleaning to have a  close to perfect surface(witch i dont take lightly i might add)
Since i have moved back to ohio , i have been extreemly picky about my riding surface, and trying to maintain that riding surface , weather it be dips, on a hill, or even  type of texture.
I know some of you that i got  to ride with  alot (well alot to me i suppose) this past summer , had mentioned to me , about how spoiled i am about  a riding surface, and i think this may just be 1 of those examples.
Thanks again Steph for helping me out ,  and thanks to all of you  that have posted  up!

Take Care

TK