Author Topic: What keeps you motivated?  (Read 7607 times)

Offline Vic

• Cliffhanger
  • New Zealand
What keeps you motivated?
« on: November 09, 2008, 01:05:35 PM »
I'd just like to know what keeps people motivated and to persist with such a frustrating sport, especially when you've had a few bad sessions and haven't progressed in ages. Once you got started, what really kept you going?
griOt: "I suggest start learning Hang5. This trick will open a lot of doors, such as courage"

Offline fritz

• Hitchhiker
Re: What keeps you motivated?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 02:06:58 PM »
playing around with the setup, like going brakeless and back on brakes.

also having a new look on the bike is always greate...goung from raw to flat black at the moment.

Offline pawnshopmike

• Cliffhanger
    • http://www.ebay.com/sch/pawnshopmike/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 02:07:09 PM »
I persist because life is short. I use to say "I'm going to learn flat some day". Well at 33 years old it is now or never. I'm going to keep trying for as long as my body holds out. With any luck I'll still be riding in 20 years ;D :beer:

clp

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 02:30:45 PM »
music + desire to achieve

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 02:32:49 PM »

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 02:58:13 PM »
Usually I do it because the alternative would be to sit at home all afternoon watching TV, catching up with the cinema world, playing video games or simply sleeping.

I see flatland as an hobbie, not as a sport, I take it seriously enough so I get frustrated by not being able of doing new stuff or landing that combo.

Flatland is also my aerobic exercise session, I sweat, I lose some body fat, I get my body in shape and my overall physical condition, health is always a good motivation.

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 02:47:37 PM »
+ sometimes i try tricks goofy, crosshanded,...

Offline ondo

• GF Inhabitant
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 09:40:44 PM »
I like it. I could say I even love it.
Nowadays, people are stressed and confused in situations and life overall. He he I'm a calm person, but still flatland is the "place", the "element", where you don't care and are free. But not in the way of computer games or TV, where you just "forget", but you fully are in the moment.
And also, I'm feeding my ego a bit. As I'm a potentially good rider, I'm "ambitious" and dedicated, but thats a +! :D
Damn, English.

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 10:18:39 PM »
 I love BMX is what motivates me personally.
Flat-ism

Offline Trickzta

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 11:42:16 PM »
The feeling I know I'll get as soon as I ride down the driveway..
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 11:43:58 PM by Trickzta »

Offline morgan

• Team
  • Backpacker
  • Old fool on an old tool
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 11:56:19 PM »
Last night I rode, and couldn't get anything to stick...  a few nice rolls, but that was it.  I was downhearted for sure.  But getting back on the forum here brings me back up again.  When you get cool video links from friends, and supportive communication from fellow riders around the globe, tha's all the motivation I need!

I know it'll be tough, but I love Flat, and the sense that just getting an extra second of balance can give you.  It's a challenge, and I just keep coming back...

Stick with it Vic, it's worth it!
More off than on, but still loving it! Flatland until you can't!

Offline Vic

• Cliffhanger
  • New Zealand
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 03:39:57 AM »
oh I don't have any problems with motivation, but it really does take a lot of drive and passion to keep me going so I wonder how others deal with it. I watch way too many flatland videos..
griOt: "I suggest start learning Hang5. This trick will open a lot of doors, such as courage"

the beard

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 04:31:28 AM »
Music, sometimes smoking, ideas, caffiene, inadequacies, friends who ride well motivate me. Actually, I go back and forth between every single thing around me and in my life motivating me, or everything standing in my way.  Even when things are bad, including riding; it's better to ride than to not ride.  I've never regretted going out for a ride, but I have regretted not riding.

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 05:57:58 AM »
Everything, & Nothing

Neela
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 06:01:06 AM by ASC »
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline raddad67 (Mark)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Keep on Riding!! wwww.bmxfreestyler.com
    • BMX Freestyler
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 06:40:42 AM »
My motivation comes from a Can do Attitude. My friends are always quick to remind me when Mr negative shows up on my shoulder. Example today when riding I have been trying so very hard to hit my 3rd hitchhiker but I have been struggling everyday. I know what It takes I know what it feels like. Today when I was riding I thought back to everything everyone has told me about doing a hitchhiker. I replayed the positive things people were telling me. I still have not completed number 3 but I didn't give up either. Even when it seems hopless.......grrrrrrrrrr..hahhaa

Keep on Riding!!!