Author Topic: Best flatland bikes of all time?  (Read 36942 times)

Offline nobleman

• Hitchhiker
Re: Best flatland bikes of all time?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 01:35:36 AM »
the ones that currently feels the best.

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 01:45:20 AM »
1. 88 Haro Master
2. Hoffman Bigdaddy
3. Morales
4. Standard Tao

The Haro Master from 87/88 were the best complete flatland bikes...straight from the box.

Add the 1st generation Quamen and Standard Shorty, and there you have it... the most influential flat bikes of all time. (pre-dating what's currently available, at least...)

Offline tgtiw

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 01:46:45 AM »
1: Dyno Pro Compe
2: 82 Haro Freestyler
3: Kuwahara Bravo Pro /General Osborn Pro
4: Hoffman Big Daddy

-I would have rated the 87-88 Masters but they lose for having a built in rear drop-out platform.

joelweevil

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 02:16:27 AM »
nesquick ninja, its about riders who've been in the game a long time respecting the roots of flatland. at least thats my opinion. and knowing what they like.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 02:32:10 AM »
I don't get it.  :huh:

I don't know anything about older bikes; I have only been into bikes for like 3 months.

But how can you prefer 20 year old bikes over new ones? Seems like they would have improved over time, not gotten worse...

Anyone want to explain?  ;D

Its about the begginings of flatland, and its roots, but I think new stuff is better, as long as you buy the right parts and not the weakest or lightest.

Technology went up and down. Bikes gained a few kg's, then went on a diet and lost twice what they gained. Technology {if you can call it that} has gone way too far forward and we need to go backwards just a little to gain more weight and strength.

Parts did break back then, but not as bad as today.

I rode an 87 GT pro performer/freestyle tour in pink, but I like my OG Kun fu ten times better.

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 02:46:47 AM »

#3 - is more of a personal favorite for me.  as I absolutely loved mine as a kid.

Old dudes can still rip

Offline kabirun

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 02:57:46 AM »

this thread is so lame. none of those bikes would actually work well for modern flatland. the concept of "best flatland bike of all time" doesn't even make sense. nor would make sense the concept of "best flatland frame of all time"   

Offline BmxXriderX06

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 03:03:06 AM »
I love the SuperPower =]  ;D

Offline efxman

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 03:12:07 AM »
Hey kabirun, how can you say that the older bikes would not work for modern day flatland?  Ever watch any of the Dorkin' videos?  Kevin (the father of modern flatland) along with Chase all rode GT Pro performers or Dynos and pulled stuff on those that some people today cannot pull.  It is not about the bike it is about the rider.  Yes having a bike that is more geared towards a certain discipline helps but overall it is the rider. 

Matt

Offline 1wheelin

• Backpacker
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 03:19:41 AM »
I think most people would say the haro master, but I would have to say the sugar daddy

Offline escapefrombmx

• Backpacker
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 03:22:54 AM »
in no particular order:

- infinity alter ego (7.5lbs baby!!!)
- london southbank
- instrumental
- delta3 in 19"
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 03:25:54 AM by escapefrombmx »

Offline tafkat

• GF Inhabitant
    • Jon Lavigne Dot com
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 03:40:54 AM »
I'm just going to go with frames, though I'll comment on completes when applicable.

- '87/'88 GT PFT or Dyno Pro Compe- best complete packages by far, even though I actually owned an '87 Master. None of that built-in chainstay "platform" crap, and the front end shared its geometry with today's "standard" flat frames.

- 92 Haro Master- got rid of and/or fixed what didn't work with previous Master frames, for the most part.

- Ozone Method:One- rocked.

- '87/'88 Mongoose Decade- some of the parts were crap, but the frame was great. Nearly bulletproof in a time when frames cracked when you looked at them wrong. Zero-offset forks, too.

- Hutch Trick Star- This is a joke, the Trick Star bit ass.

- Skyway Street Beat - way way way before Martti made it cool to have a laid back head angle, Kevin was ripping on these... and Vander designed it in 1984.

- Hoffman Big Daddy - nudge nudge wink wink say no more

- Standard Tao - Changed the way flatland frames were designed, cut out the crap

- GT Show - see above, except for the cracking aluminum.

- KHE Catweasle - no, seriously. Well, maybe not.

- That one model of the Dyno Slammer that everybody was riding from the mid-90s to 2000. And the Powerlite version of it.

- I'm sorta partial to the 2003 Dragonfly Solo.

- Ares DITA- at one point, nearly half of flatland was riding a DITA or one of the concurrent models. Ares pwned flat in 2002/2003.

-Quamen G1-thru-G12

- Fly Micromachine

- Fly/Suelo Simple V1 - basically a lighter-weight Tao, but totally inspired the whole lightweight surge.

- SickChild (fill in the blank)- continuing quality from every model.

- Ares AY47- I may be biased at this point. ^_^

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 03:49:15 AM »
1988 General RL Osborne Pro. I miss mine so much. :(

If I had one today, I wouldn't even ride it. I would just lick the bottom bracket.

joelweevil

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 03:53:21 AM »
theres a vid on globals vid section of a german? guy doing some amazing new school stuff on an older master and a skyway street beat. now sure, you dont take a ping pong paddle to a tennis match, but for back in the day, the bikes we had to choose for flat riding were limited, heavy, and compared to todays standards, inadequate. but, its what we had to choose from.

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 04:27:49 AM »
I believe its 2 fresh
who is tearing it up on vintage bike.

those videos also stand out in my head as true riding, and love
to make such tricks of now happen with old equipment like that with such grace.
Old dudes can still rip