Author Topic: the best freecoaster???  (Read 7106 times)

Offline thib

the best freecoaster???
« on: November 28, 2006, 09:40:12 PM »
what's the best freecoaster?
khe geisha, ares boo....?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 10:12:33 PM by thib »

Offline spix

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
  • Gábor [HUN]
Re: the best freecoaster???
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 10:04:02 PM »
most people will say nankaii freecoaster...
i'm getting mine this x-mas -_-
flatland lives!

Offline Manuel Bernardo @ Wuppertal

• GF Inhabitant
  • pegs, beer and rock'n roll...
    • born-to-bmx.de
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 11:44:43 PM »
i like the nankai freecoaster...

planck

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 12:44:29 AM »
I've been running the same Nankai for over 5 years, swapped out the stock axle for a Standard one and changed the driver for a 12T one-piece a few years back - never had a problem with it :)

Si.

rully

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 03:23:00 AM »
yes Nankai is the best

but Geisha's sealed bearings and possibility to switch axle size might be a yellow light for Nankai. it is also lighter. and works perfect too!!

Offline bri (doogles)

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 10:57:41 AM »
do you have cones to move on the KHE like the nankai?

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 11:04:28 AM »
do you have cones to move on the KHE like the nankai?

the khe has sealed bearings, so there are no cones to adjust. But if you already have a nankai, dont switch thinking you will get a better working hub.

Offline bri (doogles)

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 03:04:40 PM »
ive have had 2 nankai one on a built up wheel i had and on a 32 khe wheel which could'nt handle my weight even though i cheak the spokes and tightened them if need be. but i have bas cone problems and also real bad pedal slip i loose over half a cran turn. so im nearly going over the bars everythime. so have the time i dont ride out anymore beciase i dont trust it.
i havent rode any other hub bu tey seem ok. im been put of by the boo as it is just a mod taska and ive heard may problems with them.
but on a plus i no how the nankai works  and that but the KHE not. ice seem more people on KHE that nankais these days and think it it the way to go. im not piccy on weigh but the working of it iam. i want a hub too work with less mantaince as possible.
like with my nankai if i have a rear puncher soon as i move the wheel is skrews up the cones. so if i but tighten my chain i ge pissy becuase i have to f*ck around with my cones and crap.
im really interested in the KHE the colour sucks but there still is the nankai

Offline Qij

• Funky Chicken
KHE OR NANKAI
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 05:30:06 PM »
please post more concrete (like up by doogles) answers on the question 'which one is better' choosing between khe geisha and nankai techno lite because still i can't appoint the better

khe isn't 48h what i need but will nankai work so well as geisha on the 4 sealed bearings?

Offline spix

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
  • Gábor [HUN]
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 06:14:06 PM »
naknai is reliable
there are lots of problems with khe geisha.. when it became available a lot aof riders bought it because it was very light but a lot of them had problems with it..

check out the forum about khe geisha!
http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php/topic,1172.0.html
a lot af riders say bad things abou it...
flatland lives!

Offline ColinSmith

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 06:16:05 PM »
I've had 2 nankais over 10 years, and there has never been any problems for me, even going on minimal maintenance. When it's set up right then I can't imagine any freecoaster working any better, although I've not ridden a KHE.

As far as the cones go, crank down the non sprocket side nut solid to the guts on the axle, and then adjust only the driver side with a proper cone spanner, setting it and locking the cone nut against it.
Once it's set right it'll not move from my experience.

When you are undoing the axle nuts, just watch that you're not moving the cones. If you lossen the driver side first, and tighten it last that should not be such a problem though.
2 chain tensioners make the whole adjustment less hassles too.

Offline effraim

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 11:11:56 PM »
its to early to tell if the khe freecoaster is any good, the real test of a freecoaster is 6 months to a year down the line, does it still work?? what about getting the little replacements sometimes needed, ive been using the nankai hub for the last 6-7 years, and from my experience its the best hub yet, minimal maintenance, im currently using the profile shell with nankai internals, just knocks bit of weight off, but colins right, once you got it set up good, cones all locked in, i cant imagine any other freecoaster being better.

Offline bri (doogles)

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 01:28:50 AM »
its like i need a new backwheel set up and im going all out. the stongest/ light rim ti spokes and getting the right gear ratio goint to. im also insterested in buying A freecoaster i even looked at sym hubs i spoke to lee musselwhite and had a good look at his too a while back.
ive have a nankai and im 75% on getting a nankai but i can change my mind. and also you aint got that damb glod colour going. and with a profile shell it will suit anyones taste.
but its not colour for me its performance

Offline Stubbleduck43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 03:49:32 AM »
I still ride a Suntour in a Jad shell.  No probs.

Phatman

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 07:50:40 AM »
Working with my friends geisha street was a pain in the ass. one of the EAS axles locked up and we had to knock the rear wheel out of the frame, disengagement even with all 3 spacers is fast, re-engagement with all three spacers is barely a quarter crank turn, without them it was nearly half, and both me & my friend couldnt ride it properly.