Author Topic: Who remembers Orbit BMX Media?  (Read 14488 times)

Offline letsgo

• Backpacker
    • Ketch Bikes
Who remembers Orbit BMX Media?
« on: October 20, 2008, 06:30:03 AM »
This was one of the coolest magazines I had seen.  It was like Cream but 10 years earlier.  It was packed with photos of flatland.  Does anyone know who did this mag?  Are they still in the riding scene?  It was from NYC.  Here are a few pages from the Winter 95/96 copy that I have kept.

Cover

Chicago Jam 1995

OKC 1995

Offline smiley (Roy)

• GF Inhabitant
    • myspace
Re: Who remembers Orbit BMX Media?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 06:39:13 AM »
I have Issue 0 gonna scan it soon...
I know Huffman has a few issues...
Larry Mabie did Orbit zine, anybody know where he is ?

-Roy
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 06:46:44 AM by smiley (Roy) »
If you are for real, you probably spend enough time on your bike that there's no time left for talking sh*t on message boards.

Of course, if all you do is talk sh*t on message boards, you're probably not as good or as cool as you think you are.

-- McGoo

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:42:53 AM »
I totally remember Orbit... the first issue I was lucky enough to find is the same one you got those scans off of. I just recently bought Orbit #0 off of Adam Guild a few months ago! lol
I actually want to get another copy of issue #1, so if anyone has one to sell me, let me know!

Offline smiley (Roy)

• GF Inhabitant
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 06:54:41 AM »
I totally remember Orbit... the first issue I was lucky enough to find is the same one you got those scans off of. I just recently bought Orbit #0 off of Adam Guild a few months ago! lol
I actually want to get another copy of issue #1, so if anyone has one to sell me, let me know!

Do you know if Adam has any more issue he wants to sell ? I had a few issues but lost them over the years. I found issue 0 on ebay awhile ago.

-Roy
If you are for real, you probably spend enough time on your bike that there's no time left for talking sh*t on message boards.

Of course, if all you do is talk sh*t on message boards, you're probably not as good or as cool as you think you are.

-- McGoo

Offline griOt

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 06:55:42 AM »
I have Issue 0 gonna scan it soon...
I know Huffman has a few issues...
Larry Mabie did Orbit zine, anybody know where he is ?

-Roy

I beat you

the few, the proud, the flatlanders

Offline griOt

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 06:59:56 AM »
I think i know why this magazine is dead: way too many riding pictures with very little ads
the few, the proud, the flatlanders

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 07:08:35 AM »
i have quite a few issues of ORBIT
YEAH I HAVE NOT LOOKED AT THEM FOR AWHILE NOW
THE GOOD OLD DAYS!

Offline monis

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 03:51:35 PM »
I remember that magazine.  That zine ruled.  Lots of pictures and the articles were pretty good too. 

joelweevil

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 11:02:23 PM »
Jesus, this must be a meeting of the minds!!!  i just got my copy of issue #0 out this afternoon and was looking at it.  there was a tv show on set in front of the big metal world sculpture and it made me think of the mag, so i got it out. WOW!!!

Offline muffe

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 02:44:04 AM »
i had issue #1 it was awesome lots of graffiti too!

Budz

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 06:01:20 AM »

Do you know if Adam has any more issue he wants to sell ? I had a few issues but lost them over the years. I found issue 0 on ebay awhile ago.

-Roy
been pestering Adam to come up and ride lately. hopefully itll happen eventually.
Adam is RAD! he is on my Myspace Roy...u can get at him thru there if u arent already still in touch with him. ;)

Offline smiley (Roy)

• GF Inhabitant
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 07:15:27 AM »

-Roy
been pestering Adam to come up and ride lately. hopefully itll happen eventually.
Adam is RAD! he is on my Myspace Roy...u can get at him thru there if u arent already still in touch with him. ;)

I heard Adam moved down south... One of the Carolinas I think...

-- McGoo

Budz

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 07:51:57 AM »

-Roy

I heard Adam moved down south... One of the Carolinas I think...
yup...S.C. i believe.

Offline A1R5N1P3R

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 11:43:57 PM »
Firstly, I do apologize for the Thread Necro. But seeing as how when I google Orbit BMX Media this is the first reference that pops up, and that I have information directly relating to questions asked herein, I feel that it's somehow justified.

You see, my name is Laurence Richard Mabie, publisher - photographer - creative editor of Orbit BMX Media. Before I tell you all the story of how I came to find this thread, let me first thank you for remembering and saying such positive things about a project I put so much heart and soul into. After all, BMX Flatland had given me so much in life, I felt I had to give back in only the best way posible.

I recently uploaded a video I had come across, a VHS tape of raw footage from a Levi's commercial stuntwork casting call. The Video's name on YouTube is called "A1R5N1P3R revealed." A good friend of mine, TITANSUSA heard the magazine name I mentioned in my intro, and being a Professional Online Gamer, he of course Googled it =) So today, we're in a chat on PSN, and he tells me about this thread. Reading the comments definitely made my day, and I thank you all, I sacrificed alot and put my heart and soul into publishing a high quality magazine highlighting Flatland and under rated riders. I do believe I was the first to pay respect to Cory Nestazio (I know I just butchered his name, sorry about that).

I am heavily involved in competitive gaming as well, held #1 in Combat for a game called Warhawk, and #1 in Team Deathmatch for a game called Metal Gear Online. Trying to explain different facets of ones life online is often a fruitless venture, full of ye rights and sure sures, I suppose there are lots of liars out there. But this thread has done alot to validate all I've told about my BMX adventures, LOL. How many people claim to have partied with Jay Miron and Dave Mirra, etc, especially with the video games they spawned (I personally can't stand playing video games based on riding, I rather just go out there and ride tbh).

My contact info is:
YouTube.com/A1R5N1P3R
Flickr.com/photos/A1R5N1P3R

You'll find some pix of Orbit BMX Media on Flickr, as well as other Graffiti magazines I've published. I'm actually in a few text books for having started 2 of the first Graffiti magazines (ever). Martial Arts and Fine Art are also areas I've made a mark on, and I'm currently involved a bit more in motorcycles. If there's, any questions you'd like answered regarding Orbit BMX Media, feel free to ask in this thread, and I'll answer as best as I can.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 11:54:18 PM by A1R5N1P3R »

Offline tafkat

• GF Inhabitant
    • Jon Lavigne Dot com
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 02:16:22 AM »
me, from the Youtube video comment I left:

"Oh! You did the surfer nose wheelie"