Author Topic: Transition Move  (Read 8229 times)

Offline LittleMoosey

• Forkglider
    • Check out MySpace
Transition Move
« on: October 11, 2008, 12:08:41 AM »
Hey guys,

OK,  I'm new, but please don't be pissed at me....seriously, I did a search for "transiton," "evolve,"  "spin," "fork glide," but didn't find what I need.

My problem is not balance, well...I don't think.  I can stand on one front peg, facing backwards and glide with my foot on the peg and kick and indefinitely roll....I can even stop, maintaining my balance--I've been practicing that a TON!

BUT I cannot GET to the glide (or to a McCirle).  My problem: transitioning from riding forward, with feet on the pegs, to turning my front wheel and body around.  I've watched Matt W on his Ground Rules DVD a ton and practiced, BUT I am doing something fundamentally wrong since the bike just comes to a stop when I try to spin that front tire around throwing me off the bike.

Is my weight to far forward/back?
Am I not committing myself to turning the f/w around when moving foward?
Am I simply losing my balance point when transitioning?
Am I riding to fast, too slow?

I didn't see a thread on this, but maybe I didn't use the right term?  If there is, can someone just give me the link.

THANKS so much, Peoples!
ROLL WIT IT!

Offline djmikec

• Backpacker
    • BMXFlatland.Net
Re: Transition Move
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 12:36:09 AM »
Check out BmxFlatland.Net, created to help beginning BMX flatland riders to learn about, participate in, and enjoy the art/sport of flatland.

Budz

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 12:55:11 AM »
lightly push off the back peg, turn ur head and body into the turn, and keep ur weight centered over the bars. if u are turning to the right, SLIGHTLY lean the bike towards the right side.(oppsite if u turn left).
a tip to keep u rolling after ur 180 turn is to swing your free foot out behind u as u complete the 180 turn. swinging that leg out behind u will keep ur momentum going. u wont have to swing it out too hard tho. just as long as that leg u pushed off with swings behind u when u hit that 180.
if u use brakes to start the turn, let go of the brake just as ur about to finish the 180, at that same time swing ur free leg behind u for momentum-still keeping ur weight centered over the bars.

i explained this to my friend Abubaca last nite and a few minutes later she was gettin the full turn pretty good.

hope i made sense. :huh:

best of luck dude! :mellow: :beer:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 12:58:39 AM by Budz »

Offline LittleMoosey

• Forkglider
    • Check out MySpace
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 03:06:14 AM »
should help:

http://www.global-flat.com/tricks/45/Halfhydrant

Oh, yeah, I like the camera angle...that helps more than the fork gide shots.  THANKS, DUDE!

:beer: :beer:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 03:08:57 AM by LittleMoosey »
ROLL WIT IT!

Offline LittleMoosey

• Forkglider
    • Check out MySpace
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 03:08:25 AM »
....i explained this to my friend Abubaca last nite and a few minutes later she was gettin the full turn pretty good.

hope i made sense. :huh:

best of luck dude! :mellow: :beer:

Yo, Budz!  Thanks for posting that description....yeah, that helped.  I'll give it a shot tonight!  Congrats to ABUBACA!  NICE!  Must have been a cool feeling!

Power to the Peg!!

;D :beer:
ROLL WIT IT!

Offline LittleMoosey

• Forkglider
    • Check out MySpace
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 08:11:13 AM »
Man, do I need more practice!

Thanks for the tips guys...I made a little bit more progress tonight.  I see I was NOT leaning enough to the right and must be losing my balance point as I turn.  My rear wheel came up a little, too, a few times.   So maybe I leaning too much and being too rigid.

Also,  I am hestitaing and not being as committing as I should when I try to fluidly turn the front wheel and swing my rear (right) leg to the front.

I just need more practice. 

I was at a local parking garage and got kicked out tonight.   :angry:  We have snow in many of the p lots now and we got some freezing rain around town.

I'll get it....  hopefully, it's a nice clear day tomorrow.
ROLL WIT IT!

Budz

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 12:41:41 PM »
the back wheel coming up is cuz u have to much weight leaning back and away from the bike.
progress is good dude! keep at it and u will have it on lock in no time! :mellow:

Offline LittleMoosey

• Forkglider
    • Check out MySpace
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 07:42:28 PM »
^^
Oh, dude....that totally makes sense about the bw.  I think that's where my biggest problem is....this is the crux.  I "feel" like I'm over the hb, but obviously I'm not.   Mentally I know what I need to do, I just have to get my body to do it.  Heh...

Thanks, Budz!   You'll be the first to know when I get it!   :mellow:

ROLL WIT IT!

Offline Bahumut

• i has pn15!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 10:21:34 PM »
I've been working on half-hydrants recently too (still trying to nail down endos and trackstands) and was wondering, on the spin, do you apply front brake?  When I do, it makes the half hydrant easier but i lose all momentum to keep the bike rolling.
Working on: ENDOS

Offline LittleMoosey

• Forkglider
    • Check out MySpace
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 10:34:26 PM »
I've been working on half-hydrants recently too (still trying to nail down endos and trackstands) and was wondering, on the spin, do you apply front brake?  When I do, it makes the half hydrant easier but i lose all momentum to keep the bike rolling.
Hey Bahumut,

No, I haven't been using the front brake at all, but I'll put it to the test next time...THANKS, DUDE! .....along with really trying to get my weight over that front wheel.

BTW, I'm a girl with a small waist and a big ass, so I prolly REALLY need to lean over those handle bars to compensate.  ;D

You guys can still call me Dude, tho.   "Dude" is pretty much unisexual, metrosexual...or something these days... LOL!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 10:48:49 PM by LittleMoosey »
ROLL WIT IT!

Offline Dr. Woofenstein (Hungen)

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 10:50:29 PM »
I've been working on half-hydrants recently too (still trying to nail down endos and trackstands) and was wondering, on the spin, do you apply front brake? 

[...]

I'm still working on that part as well and I don't use my front brake doing that. I think for me personally it would be a hindrance for learning to do the whole thing in a nice flowing motion.

Offline tafkat

• GF Inhabitant
    • Jon Lavigne Dot com
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 12:21:54 AM »

If you do use the front brake, you'd only hit it for a split-second, for stability purposes.

I dunno, though... I had to check earlier, since I'm totally out of shape and out of practice, and I suddenly remembered that, since actually learning fire hydrants so many moons ago, I have trouble getting into basic fork glides from that direction no matter what... but I never use my brake for it.

When I go into fork glides (which I've figured out I have to actually work on some more, because I suck), I make it "easy" on myself by going into it from the other side of the bike. "Easy" being relative, obviously... I stand up and put my left foot on the top tube on the right side of the bike, then turn the bars to the left, step on the front tire with my right foot, and, as I'm getting to the front of the head tube, put the left foot on the left front peg. But I'm more stable on the outside of the circle because of learning swivels. Plus, I'm weird and ride funky.

So, if I give any advice for going the other way, take it with a grain of salt... but maybe you could try putting one hand on the seat during the turn, to force yourself to lean farther over the bike?

Offline LittleMoosey

• Forkglider
    • Check out MySpace
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 12:51:47 AM »

If you do use the front brake, you'd only hit it for a split-second, for stability purposes.
Good tip....  I'll try that as see how it works for me.   ;D

When I go into fork glides (which I've figured out I have to actually work on some more, because I suck), I make it "easy" on myself by going into it from the other side of the bike. "Easy" being relative, obviously... I stand up and put my left foot on the top tube on the right side of the bike, then turn the bars to the left, step on the front tire with my right foot, and, as I'm getting to the front of the head tube, put the left foot on the left front peg. But I'm more stable on the outside of the circle because of learning swivels. Plus, I'm weird and ride funky.
Whoa...that sounds complee-cated!  Well, I dunno 'bout that for me....left foot on tt?  That does sound a little funky....  :crash:

So, if I give any advice for going the other way, take it with a grain of salt... but maybe you could try putting one hand on the seat during the turn, to force yourself to lean farther over the bike?
  I will definitely give this a try, too!! 

THANKS, TAFKAT!    :ph34r:
ROLL WIT IT!

Offline lieve

• Forkglider
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 01:16:44 AM »
hm, always good to hear from people that are working on the same things as you are!
I am also practicing getting into forkglides, and am going to try to keep your advices in mind when I go practice again tomorrow. I'm sure it will help!
I got good at forkglides, but realized too late that I learned it with the wrong foot, haha... Stupid beginners mistake I guess. To start halfhydrants I stand on the left side of my bike, and when I forkglide, I do it with my right foot on the peg... so I'm learning to forkglide with my other foot now, which feel like I am two months back in time, haha... But eventually it will be an advantage to be able to do thing left as well as right I guess.

Anyway, good luck to all you other 'forkgliders'! Keep it up!
waiting for spring to happen...

Offline tafkat

• GF Inhabitant
    • Jon Lavigne Dot com
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 02:20:21 AM »
hm, always good to hear from people that are working on the same things as you are!
I am also practicing getting into forkglides, and am going to try to keep your advices in mind when I go practice again tomorrow. I'm sure it will help!
I got good at forkglides, but realized too late that I learned it with the wrong foot, haha... Stupid beginners mistake I guess. To start halfhydrants I stand on the left side of my bike, and when I forkglide, I do it with my right foot on the peg... so I'm learning to forkglide with my other foot now, which feel like I am two months back in time, haha... But eventually it will be an advantage to be able to do thing left as well as right I guess.

Anyway, good luck to all you other 'forkgliders'! Keep it up!

Ah, but now you have an advantage if you decide to work on cyclones... do your switch-footed fork glide, then drop your hanging foot on the back peg once you get around and glide around that way. Then switch your hands on the bars, turn around, and step on the pedal to get out.