Author Topic: Yet another newbie brake thread  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Bahumut

• i has pn15!
Yet another newbie brake thread
« on: October 09, 2008, 11:07:07 PM »
Okay, so I've done all the searching I can on brakes, but nothing has helped me much as far as learning how to adjust my setup.  I've seen the bike-flat page and read descriptions, but the issue is that I don't know what the hell the descriptions are talking about because I'm such a noob that I don't know the differences between the brake parts.

I'm wondering if there's a link to a video on how to dial in your brakes floating out there that someone can post up.. 

BTW, it may just be my setup.. I'm using the stock tektrons that came on my Signal.  The descriptions on dialing in brakes talk about tightening and loosening spring tension, and I'm not sure you can do that on the 970s.  When I'm dialing in my front brakes, I loosen everything, pull the cable through the clamp-nut thing and tighten it a bit, then tighten the allen adjusters on the brake arms themselves and according to bike-flat.com, I should see the brake pads move out a bit. 

Never happens.

So I have to manual pull the arms out and try and get them so they're not constantly touching the rim, but at the same time, don't require he-man's strength to actually stop the front wheel.

Any help?
Working on: ENDOS

Offline pawnshopmike

• Cliffhanger
    • http://www.ebay.com/sch/pawnshopmike/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
Re: Yet another newbie brake thread
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 11:21:32 PM »
www.mattbmx.com has a good video on setting up your front brakes. And he should have a rear brake video up soon. Also check out the Park Tools website.

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 09:10:47 AM »
http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=13890.0
take a look at this and tell us where you are having troubles.
hope it helps

Offline Bahumut

• i has pn15!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 09:26:16 PM »
okay, It seems that after reading bike-flat over and over, I wasn't understanding the difference between the spring tension adjusters and the allen bolts that screwed them down.  I get it now, after going to Matt BMX and watching him install the front brakes.  Good tip! 

Now if I could just get my rear brakes dialed in as well as the front ones  :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the help
Working on: ENDOS

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 12:43:54 AM »
okay, It seems that after reading bike-flat over and over, I wasn't understanding the difference between the spring tension adjusters and the allen bolts that screwed them down.  I get it now, after going to Matt BMX and watching him install the front brakes.  Good tip! 

Now if I could just get my rear brakes dialed in as well as the front ones  :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the help

rear is the same as the front, just two cables.

the signal brakes are damn good  :beer:

i ditched my rear after about 6 months... i dropped two pounds. I had to suck up not being able to do pogos and some rear wheel tricks, but i love it now.
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs