Author Topic: I ran from the police for the third time.  (Read 17092 times)

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
I ran from the police for the third time.
« on: October 06, 2008, 12:11:18 AM »
Flatland is turning me into a fugitive. Seriously. My car is backed way into the car port, and I'm not leaving the house for a few days (except for work).

My regular spot, tennis courts maybe 5 minutes from my house, was occupied today, so I took the short drive to another spot. It's a handball court at another public playground that I used to ride at regularly. Well, the handball court was also being used (by people playing handball, which is actually a first) but the four tennis courts were not. Now the last time I rode in these courts it really irked someone who showed up to play tennis. So much so that he tried to start a fight with me, then, after much yelling and screaming (from the both of us, admittedly), he called the police and I ran before they could show up. But they where all empty this time. It was about 3:30 in the afternoon. And it's Sunday, a generally slow day for tennis. What's the harm?
     Well, apparently every tennis player that uses those courts knows, as a solid fact, that flatland riding damages the courts. Of course if this where true, the court I normally ride on would be totally obliterated by my reckless, damage-filled flatland skills. An old man, I'm guessing around 50, with a rather large beer gut and his socks pulled to to his knees is staring me down. I've seen it before. I've been kicked out of dozens of places, and it always starts the same. The perplexed look. The hesitant approach. Why am I there? What am I doing on that bike? Is there a park employee he can talk to to have me kicked out? I keep my headphones on. Maybe if I ignore him he won't say anything. it seems to be working. He's still staring, but he's playing tennis and minding his own business. I do have a hot ass, but I'm not into chubs or bears (or any men, really).
     I take my headphones off for a split second, and he starts. I knew it was coming. I should have just dealt with the headphone wire that had somehow worked it's way over my ear. "Didn't you see the sign..."
     "I'm not hurting anything." I knew where he was going with all of this. I've been kicked out of so many places that I can pretty much recite exactly what he'll say, so I just counter everything he tries to say before he can even finish a single word. "I've been doing this for years now, and it doesn't hurt anything. Who do you think is more of an expert on this, me or you? If someone wants to use this court, I'll leave..." It continues for a while, me talking over him with logic, him reciting the same tired arguments I've heard through the years of "breaking the rules." I don't let him get a single word in.
    He stops talking, so I stop. I'm just riding in a circle, playing with my iPod. "The park rules..."
    "Yeah, if I start to hurt anything I'll head out. Just let me know. So far everything is fine, and the court is holding up alright." I can't remember exactly what was said between the two of us. All I know is he repeated basically what everyone who has ever kicked me out of any parking lot, tennis court, basketball court, or courtyard has told me; bullsh*t that is just plain lies.
   He shuts up again. A minute or two pass. I f*cking can't believe it. I won. He shut his fat ass mouth, and I was still riding. Holy God damn sh*t!
     A few minutes later two others show up, and he starts talking to them. Ok, here we go. Their leader starts walking toward me. Another old f*ck, with flabby arms wearing a tank top. If you dress like that in Brazil they arrest and fine you. "Hey boy!"
     Boy? If I where black it would already be a hate crime. I drop my bike beneath me and toss off my headphones (which I turned off when I saw the Alpha retiree approaching). "Watch your f*cking tone with me, old man!" He's shocked. Turns out I'm not some punk kid; I'm a grown ass man who could beat the living sh*t out of him if he didn't watch what he called me.  He gets closer, but is obviously now keeping his distance, and with a lot less bass in his voice tells me it's against park rules to ride in the court.
    Once again, as I have done many, many times, I try to explain that I'm not hurting anything.
     "You can't ride here, it's against park rules."
     "Why is it against the rules?"
     "Because it damages the court."
     "Where? Show me where I am hurting anything."
     "I don't have to answer any of your questions. Why don't you go into the parking lot?"
     "It's too rough and it's on a hill, I can't ride there."
     "Why can't you go over there?" He points toward the overly occupied handball court.
     "There are people using it." This goes on for a few minutes. My questions and answers are more poignant and informed than theirs, and it's just pissing them off. I'm not being sarcastic or acting like a jackass; I'm making fair observations and statements as to why I should be allowed there while they are considering the rules to be absolute and indisputable no matter how asinine or without reason they may be. The more sense I make, the angrier they become. Their leader (Flabby Arms McGoo) is now yelling. "Watch your tone."
     I think the fact that I said it in such a calm, passive manner is what really blew his lid. I seriously think he wanted to take swing at me, but was too scared because he was getting angry and he could see that he rage wasn't scaring me. I don't think I've intimidated anyone before in my life. "I'm calling the God damn police." His friend (Knee Highs) also gets on the phone.
     Wait, what? How in the hell did we go from him calling me "boy" in a rather unpleasant tone to them calling the police on me, all in a manner of about 3 minutes? Now I'm shocked.
     Let's take a step back for a minute, and put ourselves in the shoes of the local police, who are now on their way. It's Sunday in the suburbs; there's absolutely nothing going on. There is a call that a man in his mid 20's started a domestic dispute with three upstanding citizens of the community. All of the info they have, along with age-based and maybe even image-based stereotypes are working against me, and it's three against one as to who instigated the entire thing. Do I really want to stick around and try to explain what happened, especially considering that I am actually breaking park rules? f*ck no. I grab my sh*t and get the f*ck out of there.
    The leader of the pack is following me, giving my description the the operator. I toss my bike in the back of my car, and he tries to get behind me to read my license plate. I won't let him get the chance. I back out of the parking lot, and down the street about 150 feet to my old high school. I turn around and casually drive home, taking back streets the entire way. Not taking any chances, I toss the razor knife and pack of razors I use for work out of the window.

I'm 0 and 2 at that court. I don't think I'll be going back, evar.

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: I ran from the police for the third time.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 12:18:00 AM »
what assholes... you should light the nets on fire, take a crap and rub it all over the courts and write in it.... "Now what"

;D ;D
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline APechon

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 12:25:08 AM »
Wow man. That sucks. I would write a councilman like snicker said. Crazy old people!

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 12:33:48 AM »
There's a sign clearly posted at both entrances (and I think in the court) forbidding bicycles and skateboards. It's ironic that you guys think I can complain to the city council, because a few years ago (2004, I think) my picture appeared in a local paper riding in a different court (the city is chocked full of public tennis courts). Someone in a tennis club saw the picture, complained to their council woman, and I was thrown out by someone who works for the parks department. I tried to have him show me where I was damaging the court, but he was very nice and just said he was doing his job, so I left. I tried to talk to the guys who worked there. They where all very nice, and told me "you can't fight city hall." They are totally right.
      So, someone has already beat me to the punch. Besides, there are plenty of tennis clubs that will vouch for these asses that they know, for a fact, that flatland riding is damaging the courts. Meanwhile I can't get more than two people to show up to ride in City Park at the Peristyle on a beautiful saturday afternoon, so what chance do I have fighting the government? Next time I'm going to tell them I'm jewish and try to play the anti-Semitism card (I'm not, but they don't need to know that).

Offline condemned bmx

• Deathtrucker
  • yo
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 12:35:29 AM »
sounds harsh as, every tennis player thinks he's being a hero calling the cops on ya....praps u should explain tht its ur tax payer money that goes into tht park and since u dont like tennis and u dont get given an area to ride ur exersising ur right to use somthing thts provided "for the public"
slater

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 12:38:43 AM »
sounds harsh as, every tennis player thinks he's being a hero calling the cops on ya....praps u should explain tht its ur tax payer money that goes into tht park and since u dont like tennis and u dont get given an area to ride ur exersising ur right to use somthing thts provided "for the public"

If I'm kicked out of my current spot, where no sign is posted, I will be putting on some nice clothes and presenting my case to the right people. Believe you me.

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 12:39:49 AM »
what assholes... you should light the nets on fire, take a crap and rub it all over the courts and write in it.... "Now what"

;D ;D

This will accomplish about as much as calmly explaining to the players that I'm not doing any harm, and public property is just that.

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 12:59:39 AM »
f*cking old people..Ive been banned from a few places by the cops,because of old people complaining about me..Even lying saying I was throwing shopping carts at cars..Cops are usually cool about it,know what I'm doing but have to kick me out cuz the people bitch so much..

Offline Hoya

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 01:05:17 AM »
Things like this is indeed very weird to even imagine. Like Ive said before, I dont say Sweden is the best or anything but Im glad something like this probably never would happen here. I see a police car drive by pretty much every single time I ride and so far they havent even slowed down..

Anyways, back on the thread. It sucks that some people are that very ignorant and that they take every opportunity to share some hate. Even though they have the law on their side (the sign telling bikes are prohibited) but come on..It doesnt matter if the courts are empty. They should be happy that you as a "youth" (I know youre grown up and all) aint out mugging people. And why would it be more ok to ride on the volleyball court? Wouldnt that "damage" that court just as much? Just proves they're just f*cking with you..Why would it damage the tennis court when it'd be perfectly fine to ride on the volleyball one?

Anyways, I think its better if you find a new spot. Just so you wont get into trouble. even though it sucks its you that have to give it up..

Cheers

Offline 1wheelin

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 03:38:37 AM »
Whenever I see a cop, I make it a point to interact with them about who I am and what I do. If there's nothing to do they will stay and chat with u for a bit. Ill explain flatland to them what its about and why I ride in the area I'm in. That way they understand that I'm there because its flat and I'm not there to jump off and grind on random sh*t. Plus ill do some random easy tricks so they don't get the idea that I could seriously injure myself and cause a lawsuit. Once all that is put on the table, they understand y ur there. Then when a fat, old man get pissed off he no longer has a purpose in life n takes it out on u, flip out on him and get him to hit u. That's what u want. Then ur the victim and u call the cops. That's one less asshole in the longrun. But if he calls the cops, just be calm and let him talk to the cop and blow up. He's gonna look angry and violent and the cop that already knows y ur there is gonna side with u and be simpathetic towards u and 9 times out of 10 that old man is gonna be watching u ride for the rest of the day and ur gonna ruin is already sh*tty day

Offline automaton

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 04:22:48 AM »
Welcome to my world. I've been kicked out of almost every tennis court I've found. I only use public ones but that doesn't really matter. As far as waiting for the cops to explain to them what you're doing, that DOES NOT work. The cops do not care because RULES ARE RULES as they say. I no longer bother waiting to talk to the cops. I just leave or if they show up I casually ride away and act like I can't hear them because I have headphones in. You won't be able to convince anyone that what you're doing is OK because EVERYONE automatically thinks if you're on a bike you're grinding all over everything and destroying property. Thank X Games for that. It's all anyone who doesn't ride knows about us. You could try to explain to them the difference between street and flatland but you'd be wasting your breath. As far as they are concerned you're just some punk who's gonna grind his pegs all over stuff and destroy property. I wonder what they think we're going to destroy? Do they think we're gonna hop onto the net or try and grind it? I mean seriously!

Anyway, I found a bike/jogging trail a couple of days ago and I thought it would be fun to ride it and see where it goes. It's a nice paved path that goes through the woods. Well a long time later I was still riding this thing and finally gave up and came up out of the woods to see where I was only to find out I'd made it into the next state. Not cool. Still even though I ended up way far away from where I started I found a park with 6 tennis courts and no signs banning bikes. There was only one guy there so I rode there for quite a while. A super nice place. Too far really to ride or drive to though. At least not on purpose anyway. Took quite some time to get back home. I finally find a nice court with no signs up and it's no where near me.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 04:24:28 AM by automaton »

Offline Rompy

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 04:36:18 AM »
I think you probably made it worse by taking off, im sure you could have talked your way out of it with the cops. Worse thing i suppose that could have happened would have been a fine.

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 04:41:38 AM »
I think you probably made it worse by taking off, im sure you could have talked your way out of it with the cops. Worse thing i suppose that could have happened would have been a fine.

Well, it was either talk to the cops and get kicked out, or leave and not deal with it. I chose the latter. Had the police saw me driving away, I would have just told them the truth; they said they where calling the cops and they wanted me out of there, so I left. It was a no-win situation.

Honestly, I wish I would have laid one of those old f*cks out right there on the court. They called the police any way. I'm so sick of this sh*t.

Offline Chris Barnett

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 05:46:20 AM »
"I've been doing this for years now, and it doesn't hurt anything. Who do you think is more of an expert on this, me or you? If someone wants to use this court, I'll leave..."

"Watch your f*cking tone with me, old man!"

Honestly, I wish I would have laid one of those old f*cks out right there on the court. They called the police any way. I'm so sick of this sh*t.

Not to throw in some common sense or anything, but maybe you should approach things with a different attitude. 

Technically, if there is a sign, and you're riding anyways, you're trespassing.  IE not using the property the way it is legally allowed to be used.  If someone asks you to leave, be nice, explain why flatlanding is different, and if they still have a problem?  Leave.  Don't cuss at them, don't piss them off, don't act like a 13 year old punk.  Find a new spot.  Or petition the owner of that land(probably a city/county or HOA of some sort) to allow flatlanding on the court when not being used for tennis.  If you're mature about it, approach it professionally, and cite actual facts, you'd probably win. 

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 05:56:48 AM »
go back with out bike.
remove signs stating no bicycle in court.

then just play dumb next time you ride there.
since there is no sign saying you can not use bicycle on courts anymore.
Old dudes can still rip