Author Topic: Mikey Aitken Needs you and your Prayers  (Read 17350 times)

Budz

Re: Mikey Aitken Needs you and your Prayers
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2008, 06:36:38 PM »
10/27/08

It has been an amazing morning full of high emotions. We arrived just in time for Mike's morning rehab session. When we got to the rehab gym, Mike was asked how many people were in the room with him and he was able to answer. He was then asked to tell the therapist everyone's names and he was able to give his sister's and his mom's name.

It was as if Mike suddenly woke up this morning in that gym. He is still struggling to speak with his tracheostomy tube, but he was able to ask what happened to him and broke down in tears as he apologized.

Mike was able to recognize his wife, son, and each of his family members as we each hugged him and reassured him that we love him and that he is going to be ok.

Mike was able to push through his emotions and still make great progress in physical therapy. He not only pulled himself to a standing position with little help (in the walking bars). He was also able to take steps, even helping to move his right leg along as he walked with the help of his physical therapist.

Mike continues to amaze us all. This is a great step forward on the long road ahead of him and we are all very excited.

We would also like to add that we greatly appreciate all of the benefits that have been put together for Mike. The benefit jam at Tanner Park could not have gone better yesterday. We were amazed at the outpouring of support and how much was raised. We also would like to thank the crew who were able to raise a large amount for Mike at the races the past couple weekends.

With everyone's love and support we are confident that Mike will find the strength to make a full recovery.

-The Aitken Family

Offline pawnshopmike

• Cliffhanger
    • http://www.ebay.com/sch/pawnshopmike/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2008, 06:51:01 PM »
Thanks for the update! Sounds like he is making great progress.

joelweevil

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2008, 07:22:32 PM »
i've worked at a neuro-rehab dealing with traumatic brain injuries, including occupational therapy and physical therapy. hearing this update gives me certain hope that with continued physical and emotional support, he is on his way to recovery. it may not be a quick recovery, as head injuries require time and repetition, but with his background in beating the "bmx" odds, i have a lot of hope for him.

Offline Luis Elías

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2008, 07:36:15 PM »
My friend Lawrence and I were thinking about donating all the money we can raise in the BMX W.A.R Jam for both Mickey and Stephen. Although it won't be a big amount of money, we'll do what we can.

Budz

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2008, 01:31:44 AM »
My friend Lawrence and I were thinking about donating all the money we can raise in the BMX W.A.R Jam for both Mickey and Stephen. Although it won't be a big amount of money, we'll do what we can.
that is a very unselfish gesture, and im sure they would both be very pleased. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Offline Rompy

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2008, 02:29:15 AM »
i just made a small donation.

sounds like he is making alot of progress. get better dude!

Denny Stamos

Just Ride BMX
www.justridebmx.ca

Offline polanco

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2008, 08:59:45 PM »
  my prayers go out to mike,his family,and other injured riders, I am really worried to hear about the increasing number of gravely injured riders,back when we were younger,the most fatal injury was eddie fiola's recurring shoulder injury...guys,wear your gear...

Offline 1wheelin

• Backpacker
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2008, 04:37:14 AM »
With the severity of his situation, if it  was to happen to u, do u think u would continue riding at the same extreme level or would riding a bike be just that.. Riding a bike? I don't think I could. I'd still jump around, but def. Nothing like he was attempting... Even if I could. I destroyed my knee bad. It took 9 months after my surgeries to walk correctly. Once I got passed that, I just stopped riding for 2 years. It was always in the back of my head. I couldn't imagine having that much damage to myself like mike, grabbing a bike, and just forgeting about it enough to start where I stopped off.  Mike's situation is def. An eye-opener. It makes u think before u act. Sometimes, as dumb as u think u may look, there are situations where u should wear safety gear.

Budz

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2008, 09:31:34 PM »
congrats to Mike!!! :mellow: :beer:
hes not outta the woods but hes outta the hospital! ;D
hope the link works.

http://www.kutv.com/content/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=1d5157f5-8646-4aef-8acb-61dcff4aa8e2

Offline RATL

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »
Damn! thats awesome how quick he is recovering!

Offline Ken NJ

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2008, 02:34:30 AM »
i just read that Mike Aitken walked out of the hospital on his own two feet!!  BMX Represent!!!  If you're scared to die then you're scared to live...
flat rules everything around me f.r.e.a.m.