Author Topic: Ares boo2 maintenance questions  (Read 3041 times)

Offline throbster

• Funky Chicken
Ares boo2 maintenance questions
« on: September 24, 2008, 10:27:45 PM »
I have just changed the axle on my boo2 freecoaster. When I stop pedalling the wheel spinning makes a whirring noise until I pedal back to disengage the hub. Before I changed the axle it never made this noise.
Does anybody know what causes this and how to fix.
  Also I tried to adjust the slack by adjusting the 3 bearings on the clutch but whether they are tight or loose it doesn't really make much difference. Can someone tell me how these bearings are supposed to work ie. is it the tighter they are the smaller the gap, the looser they are, the bigger the gap?
  I mangaged to adjust the gap by tightening the axle either further away or closer to the driver. Is this supposed to be the correct way for adjustement?
  Any comments are appreciated.

Offline throbster

• Funky Chicken
Re: Ares boo2 maintenance questions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 12:20:11 AM »
Yes. Sorry I meant the 3 screws which adjust the tension of the 3 ball bearings on the axle. The more you tighten the screws, the smaller the gap. Is this right? Its just that when I had them loose and then tight it didn't make much difference.
  I  have everything in the right order. Any idea what is making the whirring noise and how to stop it?
  More grease. Less grease?  should the part of the axle which the screws(which adjust the ball bearings that sit on the axle) touch be greased or not?
  Which parts exactly should be greased and which parts not?

Offline manu

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
Same here! :angry:

Offline whitty

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 07:05:04 AM »

Offline coaster

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 05:39:59 PM »
I did that but it still sucks. 2010 and no light, easy to work with sealed freecoaster. :angry: