Author Topic: Nora Cup - Flatland  (Read 12615 times)

Budz

Re: Nora Cup - Flatland
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2008, 09:47:51 AM »
They only got to nominate the top 5, from there, it was up to all Ride BMX readers/website viewers.

Not true at all. The average Ride BMX reader or website viewer is not allowed to vote at all. They used to years ago and it was a disaster. Especially for flatland.

Only pros and a few key industry people are allowed to vote on Nora Cup. Terry was voted #1 this year by his peers.....pro flatlander riders. So its pretty difficult to debate the results.
they SHOULD let the readers/riders vote...u know, have like a peoples choice award also. ;)

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2008, 10:48:45 AM »
Seriously, any one of the 5 nominees could've won for a number of completely valid reasons. But unlike the other categories, where the street/park/dirt riders just drank a beer and celebrated for whoever won, we have to jump onto a forum and cast an even bigger shadow over flatland by letting fly over who should've taken the cup. It sucks that Terry could hear about this or catch wind of it and possibly feel bad for winning, just like it sucks that the other nominees are being made out to possibly look like sore losers because of a bunch of third party opinions on this forum.
As far as I can tell, Nora Cup awards seem to matter most to big companies like Diamond Back, GT, Redline, etc. who are just dying to slap the label onto one of their ads. And while it is definitely an honor for the recipient to take the cup, true riders know that in the end it's really of little consequence, and by no means an indication of being the "best" in any way. Just because Sam and the other riders didn't win doesn't mean they don't already have the utmost respect of their peers. A cup won't change that.

... if anything, I think the fact that there weren't any flatland nominees for best video part was a travesty! lol... Hyperspeed Johnny and the Destruction Kid had riding in it that was just as burly as the street clips that made it in as nominees!

Sam is awesome, Terry is awesome, Adam, Matthias, and Jesse... all awesome. Congrats to Terry, and respect to all of the other nominees for inspiring us all this year.

Offline JAY1WM

• Cliffhanger
  • 1WM
    • 1WMBMX
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2008, 01:31:27 PM »
i dont think anyone is saying that terry is not a grate rider of dose nothing for the sport im just saying dont forget about the other riders that could do with some help every now and then, terry's got the best job in the world if you ask me and im proud of that done and what hes doing. i remember when i first saw him riding, i think he was on a gt show and looked about 12 years old he was killing it then.

i would just like to see something different as someone just said best video part etc and that US global-flat / flatland fuel etc users should do it. then maybe 2 riders can have the best job's in the world. its not the end of the world peeps, get a grip, or even a pair of grips.  ;D

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2008, 09:20:08 PM »
I don't know if I was that wasted at NORA, but I'm pretty sure that I saw Andrew Faris in the mens room.

Yes, that was Andrew Faris. I talked to him briefly.......before I was wasted :) And no, he is NOT riding again.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

TJ Perry

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2008, 09:29:56 PM »
Yes, that was Andrew Faris. I talked to him briefly.......before I was wasted :) And no, he is NOT riding again.

It's so frustrating knowing that if he came back TODAY after not riding for years, he'd be top of the pro class within a matter of months.

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2008, 01:18:32 AM »
Congrats Terry!  Terry did more for flatland as a whole than the rest of the finalists this year.  All the guys killed it as far as tricks go.  Sam probably progressed the most in regards to competition routines and placings. 

I flew in first thing Thursday so I missed the Nora cup, but I did see Cru Jones signing autographs at the show.  I heard Jason Enns lives near Faris and that's who got him to come to Vegas.

Brian

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2008, 10:33:50 AM »
It sucks that Terry could hear about this or catch wind of it and possibly feel bad for winning, just like it sucks that the other nominees are being made out to possibly look like sore losers because of a bunch of third party opinions on this forum.

"Could?" I'm sure most riders who know about this forum do read it, though many do not post. Terry probably saw the title of the thread and said "let the hating begin".

s far as what he has done for flatland, well, it's better to think of what he and all riders will do for the future of flatland. While he has no doubtedly moved the sport into the right direction, I'm sure '09 will be bigger and better.

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Terry Adams - NORA Cup Flatlander of the Year
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2008, 06:19:58 PM »
As you probably already heard Terry Adams won the NORA Cup Flatland of the Year Award. Congratulations!

Did you expect to win the award and how does it feel to be THE flatland rider of the year ?

Terry: "To be honest , I really wanted to win this award. I work pretty hard to promote myself and flatland so it was a huge relief. It feels great because my goal has always been to showcase flatland in a way that everyone can enjoy it. I am honored to know that I have the respect from the other professionals in this industry. Some of my closest friends voted for me this year and that makes it that much more special. Flatland is a big part of BMX and I am super stoked that Transworld recognizes that. I want to thank all the pro riders that voted for me. I am honored to have your support."

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2008, 10:22:53 PM »
Terry rules... at the jam session in Vegas the day after the Nora Cup party, his back wheel was wasted and his chain was hanging off his frame... and he was still hitting contest level lines. Dialed, and a great representative for flatland.

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2008, 09:11:26 AM »
cong. terry :beer: :beer: :beer:
but what hepend to adam? he is one of the best riders with the most unique style i`ve ever seen. hope he get more luck next year, but anyway props to terry. he did a lot for flatland in this year.

Offline Fat Tony

• Backpacker
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2008, 09:16:52 PM »
I didn't read all of this, but I wanted to clarify some things that I did see in here...

This is from someone who works at Ride and saw the NORA Cup voting process. And this should clear up some things for you guys.

Flatland riders voted for the flatland rider of the year. Street riders were not asked to vote for flatland because we know they don't know enough about it to properly vote. Terry had the most votes out of any other flatland rider...and those came directly from the pros in flatland.

Offline Martin

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2008, 11:04:54 AM »
Hey,

I'm just curious .. are only pro riders allowed to vote or other people who do a lot for flatland, too ? For example Scott O .. btw this is not meant to reduce Scotts riding skills. Actually I have no clue about his riding skills but I guess you understand what I mean ;-)

Offline smiley (Roy)

• GF Inhabitant
    • myspace
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2008, 12:17:50 PM »
Hey,

I'm just curious .. are only pro riders allowed to vote or other people who do a lot for flatland, too ? For example Scott O .. btw this is not meant to reduce Scotts riding skills. Actually I have no clue about his riding skills but I guess you understand what I mean ;-)

Scott O, and Pat were involved.

Because I helped every year with the list of Flatlanders that get to vote, to make sure its accurate and up to date.
I was told the votes are the votes and who ever gets the most wins.

Thanks
S

Only pros and a few key industry people are allowed to vote on Nora Cup. Terry was voted #1 this year by his peers.....pro flatlander riders. So its pretty difficult to debate the results.
If you are for real, you probably spend enough time on your bike that there's no time left for talking sh*t on message boards.

Of course, if all you do is talk sh*t on message boards, you're probably not as good or as cool as you think you are.

-- McGoo

Offline Martin

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2008, 02:03:25 PM »
Ok, thanks ... next time I'll use the search function  o-o-o

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2008, 04:46:58 PM »
Congrats to Terry...everyone( Pros & up comers) work harder and raise that bar...like you all don't already.

It is a good idea to have a people's choice award (it will most likely be so called"Third Party"Riders vote) for Flatland too, not just the Nora Cup. An alternative that is just as valid and legit...lol when you all are ready someday.
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE