Author Topic: Dual Cable Install Help  (Read 4836 times)

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
Dual Cable Install Help
« on: September 16, 2008, 04:38:20 PM »
I used the search but not much info other than the set up kicks all kind of arse. I'm installing brakes on my build (final step). I found the How to article on Front Brakes which I'll use, is there an online Install Guide for running dual upper/lower cable set up? I check Bike guide.org and saw Sheep Dog's Brake page which was helpful but they have nothing in way of the install part. Google turned up nothing either. Anybody know of an online install guide? I'm a newb to 990 style brakes (side pulls anyone?) so any help is greatly appreciated. Thx!
I'm like the brown LL Cool J.

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Dual Cable Install Help
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 11:47:06 PM »
personally i think this a ridiculous idea... just... WHY?!
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 01:25:09 PM »
Wow - that is crazy...I wonder why as well. For the record I was asking about Dual Rear Cable set up - Upper and Lower...Thx for the links Yeti!

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 01:27:24 PM »
Wow - that is crazy...I wonder why as well. For the record I was asking about Dual Rear Cable set up - Upper and Lower...Thx for the links Yeti!
so you can grab the frontbrake with any hand. good for people who do a lot of barflip thingys

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 01:29:47 PM »
and what part of the setup is giving you a hard time?

Offline Oltorf

• Cliffhanger
  • It's time to get serious!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 01:45:06 PM »

man I stilll don't understand what you're talking about. is it two rear brakes you want?
What does upper and lower have to do with brakes? gyro cables?
Sickchild           Sequence                    bmxfreestyler.com                           720 Action Sports

Offline Mike Smith

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 01:55:17 PM »
You want to have two cables running to the rear brakes, instead of gyro cable to bridge, right?
You'll need a dual cable stop mounted on the top tube or seatpost, and two brake cables.  Cut the housings to match cable stop to gyro tab length, then cut the cable end with the Largest tab. The smallest tab should clear the gyro, if not then file it.  Get two knarps or adj. cable ends, pull rear 990 pads to rim and tighten.
 ;D

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 02:08:42 PM »
lol yea - dual lower/upper cables for rear brakes aka London mod w an M2 lever. My question is - do I need to grease the M2 cable along w the lower cables like I would do on a front brake cable?

Also the caps that hold the springs in, should those be flush w the brake arm (covering the whole spring) or is it ok if some of the spring is showing. Like I said I'm a newb to U brakes. Thank you Z28Odyssey  :beer:

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 03:02:10 PM »
so the green part you're saying I don't need? The part that holds the springs in? I think I might be misunderstanding or miscommunicating myself

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »
so the green part you're saying I don't need? The part that holds the springs in? I think I might be misunderstanding or miscommunicating myself
those u need.  and there is no way those will ever be flush with the brakearms.
Yeti is talking about the dustcaps that come with most brakes.

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »
Got ya..lol I can't tell you how annoying it is trying to type at the grocery store w your wife/fiancee yelling at you about not paying attn. Back home. SO -

I took a look at my Evo's on my Street/Ramp bike and realized the springs are just open. I guess I was thinking of it from the perspective of using my Revenges which has the springs covered - SO I was wondering if that should be covered fully or should I see the springs.

http://www.global-flat.com/parts/part/577
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 04:03:58 PM by The Brown Sound »

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
Got ya. Mine are actually part of the brake arm so I can't actually remove them. That explains why my Evo's are just springs. Myb LBS had did the brake on my street bike. I think I'm just psyching myself out about doing brakes only cause I never messed w U Brakes. They always seemed so complicated (cue Avril) but then again, I was psyched out about doing my FC rebuild and that was easy as pie w Pat's link how-to. I'm gonna give it my best.

So back on, knowing that the dust cap part is part of my brake arm, does the top piece (above the cap) need to be flush w where the 2nd piece is, or is it ok to see the spring? OH and where to get Tri-Flo (force) ? Thx guys for your patience.  :beer:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 05:17:34 PM by The Brown Sound »

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 06:03:55 PM »
what if the spring's don't match my frame color? And they show? *gasp* Thx Yeti - big ups dawg

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 08:35:19 PM »
lmao see I'm such a newb...it's so clear now  :beer:

what if the spring's don't match my frame color? And they show? *gasp* Thx Yeti - big ups dawg

Then it's time to get a new frame. :wacko: :P

Offline thatunderscoreguy

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 11:10:39 PM »
why remove the dust caps?

surely they have a purpose!