Poll

Is it better to ride on small frames or longer ones

Small frames
30 (68.2%)
Long frames
14 (31.8%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Short or long frames  (Read 6214 times)

Offline Booroo

• Hitchhiker
Short or long frames
« on: November 08, 2006, 07:56:21 AM »
As you know almost all of new frames are less then 19". Many of them are about 18,5" or so.

Is it better to ridie on longer ones or the other way round? Please do not make connection to rider`s height cause it`ll be more interesting to hear other explanations.

As for me I think that it is much easier to ride small frames (although I am not SO little, about 181-182 cm) cause bike becomes faster and easier to control.

Thanx
Better to ride not so smooth but with your own style, than trying to be a copy.

Offline Flatride

• Deathtrucker
    • Facebook
Re: Short or long frames
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 08:10:21 AM »
All depends on your height, if you are 180, 19" should be good enough, but if you are 2m, look for street frames. :)

Offline Booroo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 08:32:30 AM »
All depends on your height, if you are 180, 19" should be good enough

Right now I have celeste 18,6" but still i want to have a shorter frame, cause i think the balance will be easier to dial. Maybe smth. like new ares with approximatly 17,9" frame? :huh:

Offline bri (doogles)

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 04:33:09 AM »
pain comes into it too. i rode frames 18.5inch and killed my back then i went to 20inch and i found i had no pain went to 21 and could not control front wheel tricks but really helped with the rear tricks. went to 19.3 and i found the size i like. ok so the rear lengh matters to but its not to long and not to short.
iam 6 foot 2 by the way ^_^

Offline Booroo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 07:21:59 AM »

iam 6 foot 2 by the way

Sorry but how much is it in cm (m) :huh:?

Offline Jesse Vetrone

• GF Inhabitant
  • Columbus can shove it. the world IS flat.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 07:33:37 PM »
I like short because i think it allows you move around better and faster.

Phatman

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 07:52:45 PM »
im 6'1/6'2 its something like 185cm or 187cm. But i like the shorter frames. the Tantra i just bought has an 18.77 top tube & a 12" back end im waiting to see what such a short back end feels like.

Offline bri (doogles)

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 10:34:46 PM »
i am 188cm just checked

Offline bri (doogles)

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 10:36:39 PM »
i posted this on another forum hope it helps...

think about this... you go and balance a broom on your chin. its hard but doible with practice.
then do it with a wooden spoon. its hard becuse you cant get the leverage and the distance on the balance point so it falls on your face... ouch hehehe
but then you throw the spoon and count how may times it spins length ways say 10
do the same with the broom and get 1
this is the same with flatland i rode a 18.5 top tube with 13.5 rear end and it spins like hell, hard to crontrol becuase its small and responds to quickly e.g mega spin but works really well on tailwhips
i also have done these very tricks on a 21 top tube with a 14.25 rear lengh.
the mega spin was very smooth could to it longer balance better but it was alot slower.
as for the tailwhips its was hard to get the frame around.
so when people say small it better kind of yes but also a height thing come into it.
if your tall its works out to get a longer frame that 18.5 but if your short it aint to bad. these is dues to legs hitting back or getting stuck and also pain ! ! ! when being tall you bend more then little people so more strain on your lower back. think about how hunched up a tall ride will be on a smaller bike.
but as a starter go with what your getting because that is a good size for a beginner. learn stuff and when you have the cash go smaller or what ever.
but to the end of it its your own choice and feel really

Offline laame

• Hitchhiker
  • disbalanced
    • laame.info
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 01:37:08 AM »
doogles, that's a very nice post.
I'm 188 too, and i have found that some tricks for me is more easy on my friends street bike, but i hope I'll do well on KGB Psyconexion (when it will come (OK, i came today, but i need to wait till winter ends :huh:).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 06:26:43 PM by laame »
Life in Motion

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 02:20:55 PM »
I'm riding a 18,75 tt and it feels ok, I do hunch my back, I'm 178cm or so,  but then again, when riding a bike everybody does that, it's the way bikes are made, I don't think you'll ever get a straight position riding a bike or in any other sport.

I voted for the shorter frames but for flatland I ride a medium frame lenght I think, the question about how it feels is also important and irrelevant couse most riders will never get the chance to ride several different bike lenghts so they'll never be sure if they would do better changing it to XX.XX TT lenght...

You ride a bike, you get confortable, you feel ok? Don't change.

Offline bri (doogles)

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 04:43:00 PM »
what hugo said  ^_^

Offline coaster

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 05:24:04 PM »
I'm 185 and ride a 18,6 Psyconexion that works great. Better than a 19 tt. But i use a 50 mm stem. So i have much space. Works also good on ramps. I think that it depend how long your legs are not how tall you are. With a longer frame i had some troubles getting out of cliffhangers. So i run a short frame with a high seatpost.

Offline SnowFlat

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 05:57:01 PM »
Im rocking a 18.5 and i would definatly ride them again and again. im 5'11 and he 18.5 is just for me. its all personal preferance. i like how i can reach the rear pegs while standing on the fornt pegs, with no problems.
Do you smoke? No. What do u do then? Ride a bicycle.

Offline Booroo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 08:00:27 AM »
Sooo,
Maybe the answer is not in the frame sizes but in your parts (length of the stem and seastpost, bar angle etc.)?