Author Topic: Flatland and helmets  (Read 13505 times)

Offline Nesquik

• Cliffhanger
Flatland and helmets
« on: August 29, 2008, 10:06:04 PM »
It may seem stupid...but will I look like a complete moron and outcast if I wear a helmet while flatlanding?

I think I have hit my head enough times, although the risk of me doing it flatlanding doesn't seem to  be very high.

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Flatland and helmets
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 10:14:46 PM »
Wise men from the ancient Order called Digital Underground once said...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAy8d0oyElg[/youtube]

Offline Nesquik

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 10:17:39 PM »
Right.  No one could have said it better.  Very wise men.

jbkid

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 10:18:59 PM »
Just get a hat and wear it backwards that way if you fall back the bill will touch first and lessen the impact, and if you fall forward just get your hands ready to do a push-up, but when it comes to learning the hang-5, a helmet wouldn't be a bad thing... But your free to wear what you want, I won't laugh at ya  :beer: :P

Offline Nesquik

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 10:20:51 PM »
Just get a hat and wear it backwards that way if you fall back the bill will touch first and lessen the impact, and if you fall forward just get your hands ready to do a push-up, but when it comes to learning the hang-5, a helmet wouldn't be a bad thing... But your free to wear what you want, I won't laugh at ya  :beer: :P

It doesn't make it less fun either....so why not?

I about to strap on my helmet and ride.

Offline Oltorf

• Cliffhanger
  • It's time to get serious!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 10:34:28 PM »
Wear a fullface healmet
Sickchild           Sequence                    bmxfreestyler.com                           720 Action Sports

Offline shahar963

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 10:48:07 PM »

learning lard-yard

Do what you feel man... I think that if you are doing tricks for the first time and youre feeling uncomftrable doing it wear a helmet... I'm not sayin that you cant fall after you learned the trick

When I learned lard yard it was my first back wheel trick and to start with it I fell alot every where so I took my helmet with me and it gave me boost to keep practise with less fear
flatland style

Offline thatunderscoreguy

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 11:20:12 PM »
In a load of old skool videos it looks like the riders are wearing full body armour for gods sake!

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 11:27:21 PM »
The chances of falling and hurting your head are really minimal but it can happen. In all my years of riding I have hit my head a few times but only once seriously. It was a minor fall but they way I hit smacked my head in the ground and knocked me out cold! When I woke up I had no idea how long I was out. It was 2am and I was all alone in a desolate parking lot with a BIG headache.  I wish I would have been wearing a helmet that night :)
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

Offline shahar963

• Forkglider
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 11:56:46 PM »
Try this, it saved my life and it could save yours, too!!

I agree
flatland style

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 12:00:11 AM »
 Were grown men out riding tiny bikes trying tricks in the middle of a tennis court if that dont look odd enough to a passerby ,they wont even notice the helmet...And who cares what people think anyways...

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 12:04:35 AM »
Dude...if I was you I'd worry more about your balllllz then your head man....get one of these over a helmet man! lol

Offline Hoya

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 12:07:10 AM »
I guess a helmet can boost your confidence a fair bit too. You'll dare to do a bit harder things without worrying about dying..I usually wear a beanie or a cap when I bike but when I skate or blade I always wear a helmet, wrist guards and knee pads..

Just do what feels best.. ^_^

Offline Yoda

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 12:14:38 AM »
Do what you want.  I wear a helmet, and full pads, when I try anything I feel uncomfortable with.  When I do wear everything I feel like I can try anything, and not worry about getting hurt at all.  You must show no mercy, nor have any belief what so ever in how others judge you, for your greatness will silence them all!
If riding you stop, die you will.  It's not how hard the tricks are, it's how you make them look that counts.

Offline ColinSmith

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 12:49:58 AM »
Yup, do what you feel comfortable with......but in 21 years of riding flat I never hit my head once.