Author Topic: my suelo broke ! ! !  (Read 13900 times)

byke

Re: my suelo broke ! ! !
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 08:57:20 PM »
Yeti,
Then I apologies.
We must of had out wires crossed.

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 09:01:10 PM »
There's always a possibility that that frame didn't get heat treated...somehow the metal wasn't heat treated...it got bypassed...sure there is that possibility. Sometimes that is why you see recalls done on products.

Personally I am very surpised seeing a Suelo bust like this and perhaps these "bright ideas" of reducing the tubing thickness to save weight is truly the wrong gauge tubing to use under such stressful conditions.

Ya know my Suelo V1 is only 4.8 lbs and I'll bet my bottom dollar it's way stronger. Is a 4.8lb frame that heavy?!?!

I hope these frame companies wake up if this thinner gauge material is to blame. Heat treated or not.

Offline bri (doogles)

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 08:21:24 AM »
actually thinking about it, i dont have my recipt. pat normally sends it in a letter with a sticker or two. i ever had that. oh crap that could makes this all much harder.

but the thing that gets me the bail was not a hard bail. and it did all that ! ! !  :angry:

byke

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 08:42:47 AM »
use your paypal receipt or CC statement

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 12:50:06 PM »
actually thinking about it, i dont have my recipt. pat normally sends it in a letter with a sticker or two. i ever had that. oh crap that could makes this all much harder.

but the thing that gets me the bail was not a hard bail. and it did all that ! ! !  :angry:

Pat should have a copy he can send you, thanks to the internet and databases this means never really losing a receipt again when ordering online.

But damn, Bri! That fooking sucks! I remember when Badman ripped the rear end off of his V2 and I was shocked but this - dammmmnnn..... I think companies have reached the limit of weight reduction.
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 01:27:17 PM »

I think companies have reached the limit of weight reduction.

I couldn't agree more. I'm telling ya my V1 Simple is rugged...it's solid and at 4.8lbs it's still light. Thicker tubing or not.

...so what company is gunna be next with the innovative "hey let's get light" too???

Offline diagnosis

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 01:22:38 AM »
 A friend of mine went straight into the backside of a double while racing, and his frame looked like that.. but never expected it from flat!

Just out of curiousity, looking at this pic, did you have the frame in a vice?

Offline KARNAZA

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 05:59:05 AM »
Excuse me BYKE, but you do not know nothing about HEAT TREATING กกกก (I suggest you to read for example; METAL HANDBOOK VOL.4 "Heat Treating" 1991, ASM)

The problem with the bended new frames heat treated (Suelo, KHE, etc) is a design problem in my opinion (short gusset tube, wrong thickness, ....).

The function of the heat treating in structural components is to relieve the thermal stress after welding process (avoiding the formation of hard and fragile phases as MARTENSITE in the zone affected by the heat).

These new tubes are not more stronger, simply the tubes have more toughness to the fragile fracture, but these can bend easily if the thickness and/or O.D is not sufficient to support to the concentrated efforts in some zones.

Offline bri (doogles)

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 08:24:30 AM »
yeah it was in  a vice when i built it up. i held it there when i was installing the cranks which were a bastard. i forgot how hard profiles are to install when new

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 01:52:51 PM »
yeah it was in  a vice when i built it up. i held it there when i was installing the cranks which were a bastard. i forgot how hard profiles are to install when new

They might see those vice marks and not warranty that out of suspicion....that might look like tampering....and just a word of advice...always use something to cushion the vice when you clamp something with a nice finish like that....but I really I would have never viced a frame to install cranks!

I hope they don't hassle you about those vice marks man. :(

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 01:54:41 PM »

These new tubes are not more stronger, simply the tubes have more toughness to the fragile fracture, but these can bend easily if the thickness and/or O.D is not sufficient to support to the concentrated efforts in some zones.

Exactly my point.

Summed that up to a "T"!!

Budz

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 02:33:04 PM »
heres an example of where "butted" tubing would have been helpful along with the heat treating.
ya know, like keep the tubing thicker in high stress areas such as where ur frame got mangled. and thinner in areas where its least likely to take a hit or buckle.
and dude, in my opinion. i wouldnt worry much about the vice marks. it OBVIOUS that the vice had NOTHING to do with the frames failure. like, if u put the frame in a vice and tried to slam the front end up, u would see tell-tale signs of that just in the vice marks themselves. even, the frame would probably be crushed in from the vice being tight enough on the frame to inflict the sort of damage its got. all i see is basically superficial paint blemishes, so i dont think Suelo will give u grief about all that. but next time, like Mike said, if u gotta vice it up put some sort of padding around the frame so it doesnt get all marked up.
anywho, sorry about ur frame, and hope u get it all sorted soon, dude! :beer:
*cough cough buyaStrowler.haha. <~cheap plug. ^_^

Offline bri (doogles)

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 07:36:30 PM »
the thing is i did have have and old t-shirt sleve in the vice around the frame but i was hitting the profiles so much to get them in. that the frame turned in the vice and torn the sleave and as you can see there is stratches. i sould of dones the vice up harded but didnt want to dent the frame and in the end a strach is nothing.

Offline broke_khe

• Backpacker
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 09:47:03 AM »
Looks like my KHE stylus  That is why i bought a HARO

Offline DennyPhiL

• Cliffhanger
  • Goodbye Flatland, hello Freestyle.
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 11:09:05 AM »
like this..

Kuoppa Gomez Bikes