Author Topic: Nutrition, and riding..  (Read 9366 times)

Offline JEff MCi

• Forkglider
Nutrition, and riding..
« on: August 22, 2008, 04:19:00 AM »
Hey whats up people, I wa just wondering what your diets were like. I heard from other riders that they seem to get tired from work and riding, or from whatever else they do during the day other than ride.
When i hear what kind of diet they have, i can understand why some of them are so tired and some what " out of shape". I'm not on here to tired people what to do with there lives and if you don't want to continue reading, then by all means go to another post, but i strongly suggest that riders eat properly.

I didn't realize how important it was for us flatlanders to eat properly ( as well as any other athlete), until i almost past out a few months back after only having a 3 hour session ( which scared the sh*t out of me). I would eat just pure junk, like fried foods and other foods that were high in the " bad fats" .
 Don't get me wrong, i still dip into the "junk" category when it comes to food, but i've decreased my "dipping" by like 80% and my physical health and my Endurance level during my sessions have increase dramatically!! , which also equals an increase in progression.

I work as a bicycle mechanic 7 days a week which  is normally contains a 9 hour shift. Now that I'm eating more properly, i can session for around an hour 1/2 before work, and another 2-3 hours right after work, everyday! Yes I am still human, i get burned out and i need to take alittle time off to let my muscles rest, i'm no robot. :ph34r:

I was reading different articles on many other sports and most of them are label one type of sport: anaerobic, aerobic, endurance , or power.

I may be wrong but i came to the conclusion that Flatland is a mixture of all these things.

anaerobic, for those riders that use a quick burst of energy for those quick yet strenuous  and difficult links.

aerobic, ( generally riding itself)

Endurance
, for those riders who are able to do those long combos without getting tired.

and power, lifting and tossing the bike around while STILL maintaining the above which i mentioned.

So it clearly makes sense to at least try and eat properly because if you don't fatigue, and injuries are bound to happen more frequently.

There is a very good book out that discusses nutrition for athletes called " Sports Nutrition For Endurance Athletes". If you want pick it up at the book some and give it a looksee.

Again, i'm not on here to tell people what to do, I just thought i'd try and help... that if I feel the help is needed. You can take this information and use it, or you can ignore it. :mellow:

peace, get off this forum and go ride.

Jeff Mci
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 04:25:17 AM by JEff MCi »

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Nutrition, and riding..
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 04:45:34 AM »
You're totally right bro!
I quit smoking pot, quit smoking, quit drinking alcohol, quit drinking coffee. I drink some coke or Mountain Dew from time to time tho, but I prefer to drink water. I eat alot of bananas during my riding sessions, way better than pizza or burgers.

WHY MAN WHY! THIS COUNTRY RUNS ON POT AND COFFEE...

f*ck burgers and pizza... their sh*t for you...

i like some orange juice and juice in general... keep up ure vitamin levels.
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 05:17:46 AM »
WHY MAN WHY! THIS COUNTRY RUNS ON POT AND COFFEE...

Ha ha ha! Is that's why the economy is down? ^_^ 

actually, since i came back to the states from vacation... the dollar started going back up... 20 cents to a euro to be exact  ;D ;D

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 05:18:57 AM »
I think caffeine addiction is more wide spread than people realize.

I've pretty much given up fast food for lunch and dinner, though I do eat McDonalds and Wendys salads about twice a week, and breakfast maybe every other week. I limit my calorie intake to about 2800 a day, with about 300 of that from junk food (usually soft drinks).

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 05:59:31 AM »

I need my fix...

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 06:16:53 AM »
AH Man here we go: Some Gal who deals with nutrition keeps calling the ASC, cuz she wants to know what riders eat, and the next event. Its like girl, during events especially closing  events....I don't want talk such things. Now I sound like a bitch..lol

But for you I will answer, first of all NO DEAD Meat for MY body, like I say to most, I'm not a freaking burial site for dead animals. You are what you eat.

I go off on with a macrobiotic diet, if my body wants cheetoos then that's O.K, since moderation is the key.

|ˌmakrōbīˈätik| adjective constituting, relating to, or following a diet of whole pure prepared foods that is based on Taoist principles of the balance of yin and yang. plural noun
(macrobiotics) [treated as sing. ] the use or theory of such a diet.

Want to learn more: http://www.kushiinstitute.org

I was extremely strict with this life style of eating for a good number of years during the early and late 90's. Everything was cooked with spring water and I ate seasonal organic foods.

An apple a day is good and works.

RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 06:22:48 AM »
I need my fix... (of coffee)

In one thread, you tell us about how some of your riding time is hindered by joint pain in your knees. Then in this thread, you pretty much say you can't live without consuming the pro-inflammatory drug caffeine.

Caffein can make the pain in your joints worse than it has to be. Seriously, you might want to consider giving it up for a month or two, and see how you do without it. The first week or so might be tough on your eyes and sinuses, but the health benefits are well worth it. Plus you won't have stained teeth.

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 07:44:34 AM »
I need my fix... (of coffee)

In one thread, you tell us about how some of your riding time is hindered by joint pain in your knees. Then in this thread, you pretty much say you can't live without consuming the pro-inflammatory drug caffeine.

Caffein can make the pain in your joints worse than it has to be. Seriously, you might want to consider giving it up for a month or two, and see how you do without it. The first week or so might be tough on your eyes and sinuses, but the health benefits are well worth it. Plus you won't have stained teeth.

seriously man? i had no idea... ill try giving it up for a bit... but it tastes sooo goood :P

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 11:37:05 AM »
Yea no doubt in general, when I followed a body builder diet I felt WAY more energized, and I was still smoking pot. Hell I'd smoke before working out - but like anything moderation is key and that will catch up w you real quick. But eating whole food sources rich in protein and non mprocessed  food will make you feel world's better alone. Sh!t water and whole foods alone makes a huge difference, let alone working out.
I'm like the brown LL Cool J.

Luke

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 12:21:04 PM »
Egg whites and oatmeal pancake with natural peanut butter for me .

Offline burnedtaco

• Forkglider
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 06:22:34 PM »
It's been almost a year since I decided to go all "healthy" and let me tell you, It makes a world of a difference. My diet before hand consisted of fast food, soda, candy, beer, etc. Now its been almost a year and I haven't touched any of those things. I know It's ok every once in while to enjoy such foods and drinks but I didn't and i went from 240lbs with emerging bitch tits to 170lbs and a ripped six pack. Of course with exercise and a proper diet.

I used to ride for about and hour and get tired for the rest of the day. Now I usually ride for about 3 hours in the morning, go about my day, and ride about another 2 hours in the evening. Sometimes more. Ever since I have changed my habbits, my energy and endurance is insane! Oh yeah I run 3 different businesses in the day so my "inbetween" riding, i'm running around like an idiot. Never tired. Also my progression hasn't been like this since I was like 18/19 years old.

monkeyflat

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 06:33:27 PM »
hello that all sounds very nice but im wondering can someone put it down more in terms of like a meal plan..for example heres mine

breakfast:an egg and toast and some cereal or sometimes 2 eggs and two toasts

lunch:apple or banana and some milkshake and a little bit of rice and chicken

supper/ dinner: whatevers there at home...rice and chicken..or meat...or whatever....juice...whatever

its not exactly the same everyday but its fairly consistent...the spaces in between i burn and ride

peace

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 06:45:43 PM »
I eat healthy people.  :wacko:

I used to be competetive in power lifting and bodybuilding (gay). I was on a SUPER strict diet and excercise program for many, many years. I got super burnt out.

From my profession and from experience in high-level dieting and competition I've come to realize that a little of this and a little of that doesn't hurt. I drink coffee every morning and I'll have a cup in the late afternoon. I drink about a gallon of water per day and eat whatever, but stay within common sense boundaries. My brother is exactly the same, and he's the same guy that's been cycling at competetive levels for 20 years, including 24 hour races.

Diet does have an affect on your tiredness and all that, but becoming obsessed with it can be a distraction. There's a lot of things I didn't enjoy back in the day when I was on a strict diet constantly... things like going out to eat with friends was ruined if the menu wasn't applicable.

FYI, you can eat super healthy, but dehydration and sodium will get ya'. Even "healthy" foods are jacked up with sodium.

If you want to take a real-world approach, check out this book:

BTW, yesterday I drank a bunch of coffee and ate like SHIOT: worked a 10 hour day, hit the gym and hit my bench max's, skipped rope for 20 min and hit the cardio machine for 30 min. and I was fine.

Offline burnedtaco

• Forkglider
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 07:09:16 PM »
My meals are different everyday so that I don't get burned out but here's a look at yesterdays plan.

7am: Protien shake w/ fat free milk & banana

8am: 3 eggs w/ 2 whole grain toast
         Multi-vitamin

11am: Gatorade
          Tuna cooked with green peppers and a tomato
          Fruit
          Multi-enzyne

2pm: Protien shake w/ water

4pm: 12oz Chicken breast w/ long green chili's
         Brown rice
         Multi-enzyne

7pm: 12oz Grilled chicken breast
         Mixed veggies
         Avocado
         Bowl of mixed melon
         Multi-enzyne

10pm: Casien shake mix (fat free milk, 1/2 banana, natural peanut butter)

This may or may not be a good exaple but this was just thusdays plan.

Offline griOt

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 07:13:22 PM »
Definitely what i eat during the day affects how i am towards the evening. I try to eat anything with greens during the day; i stop eating chinese food during the day (this kills your day). I try to chill on the sodas. Also, I think Monster is bad for you, so i think i will permanently switch to gatorade
the few, the proud, the flatlanders