Author Topic: Aging riders  (Read 16980 times)

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
Aging riders
« on: August 19, 2008, 04:00:20 PM »
I was talking to an older guy (like in his 50's) and we were chatting about BMX. I told him about my age and wondered how long I'll be able to ride for. His response was something to the effect of:

Modern BMX is relatively a young sport compared to others. Take surfing... or even skating... for example. You see a bunch of old guys in their 50's and 60's still surfing... I'd imagine that someday BMX can get to that level and I wouldn't be suprised to see guys BMX'ing all the way into their 50's.

IMO, BMX and skating are MUCH more abusive than surfing, but do you think in the next 10-20 years we may see guys in this age group still riding? Or do you think that BMX is far too abusive on the body, forcing people to quit?

I see a lot of old guys MTN biking and skiing... but again, their crashes are far less than in BMX. I think that injury will stop people from really riding. But in the future, I also think it will be more comman to see guys in their 50's riding around BMX bikes and not doing many tricks (due to injury). Even I am WAY toned down in the street department just because I don't have the nerves I used to and I don't want to disable myself.

What do you think?

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Aging riders
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 04:32:21 PM »
Yes, people will still be riding into their 50s.  What will be interesting is to see how skills decline.  I personally have only seen skills decline because people lose interest and/or stop practicing, not because of aging itself.

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 04:46:40 PM »
Pete Brandt is 38+. I'd like to see a 14 year old in better shape than him.

I think as long as your joints are good you could ride flatland into your 60's personally. It all depends on how well of shape your body is. Look at all the older folks who still jog. Back and joint problems I think is what would hinder a person. But that goes into any aspect of physical work.

Skating I don't think so.. I used to skate street...the impact on your joints is horrid..there is no give to polyurethane wheels and a wooden board to land. I found myself even as a teenager hurting more from skating than BMX ever.

Street riding and park, etc BMX. I don't see those guys riding as long as flat though.

I'm 35 and I swear physically I am not any different than when I rode when I was 15... I swear.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 05:03:48 PM »
The Hawk is going to be 41, and still skateboarding. Older riders tone down the aggression but then you have the exceptions who will and can still pull some heavy tricks. Tony Alva is catching up to 50's, I think he might be 50 or 51. He still curves pools. Jay Miron does yoga and rides flatland, he will most likely still keep riding in his 40s and onwards. There seems to be a good number of Flatlanders in their late 30s still kicking it despite tendon break down. You all know who they are. Cheers to RadDad!

As a whole actions sports riders are getting a taste of the coming of age. Riders will always have the love for these sports since its ingrained in the blood. I know I can't ride skateboarding anymore, mind you I still try and taught little kids a few weeks ago. You'll never see me going down hill unless I drastically alter my body, but can do it if I went back to a strict training. I can't wait to get a road bike, I still can hold up riding k's, and anything that is a test in the endurance. Considering I'm the same age as hawk, I'm doing pretty good despite the recent chubbs around the hips, and such...moderation is the key and not being anal in ones outlook helps. Keeping the body active is important, people don't even walk anymore...N
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 05:05:03 PM »
Jose Yanez, who originated the backflip on a bmx bike, is 50 years old now and still dirt jumping and doing flips. Then you have people like Rick Moliterno, Kevin Jones and Dennis McCoy who are well into their 40s and riding better than ever.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

Offline morgan

• Team
  • Backpacker
  • Old fool on an old tool
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 05:06:18 PM »
As long as the body's willing and able, we should keep with it...  Let's face it, we're al young at heart, and will keep going as long as reasonably possible.  I turn 39 in a few weeks, and have more passion and comittment for riding now than ever before.  A while back, I thought I'd quit at 40, but no way is that going to happen...

The only thing that holds me back is time - the lack of it - to be able to ride more... I know that Dion and a lot of the other older guys have the same 'problem', but hey, we wouldn't be on here if we didn't love it!

What was it Tom Waits said about loving 'til the wheels fell off?  Makes me smile - and keeps me rolling!
More off than on, but still loving it! Flatland until you can't!

Luke

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 05:24:55 PM »
36 soon to be 37 here and at my highest riding level ever.

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 05:28:45 PM »
There will just have to be a seniors class at comps.

I was actually thinking that, too!

Offline MING

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 05:45:33 PM »
I think we are the first generation of people to keep doing things and not let age or people that say "Are you not a little to old to be doing that sort of thing". Get our way.

Also I think flatland might be suited to the slightly older person like myself. The falls or spills are not so heavy, not like vert ,street or dirt. Also I dont think I would have had the patience's or focus when I was younger.

Offline Oltorf

• Cliffhanger
  • It's time to get serious!
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 05:50:53 PM »
Surfing, skating and riding are all abusive if you push yourself too far, too fast. I think an aging flatlander with a lifetime of riding under his belt could still session. have some fun. Maybe not progress anymore, but still bustin tricks.
Maybe because the sport of flatland is so young we haven't got 50 year olds yet. So we have to wait to become them. 

Sickchild           Sequence                    bmxfreestyler.com                           720 Action Sports

Offline jeffjl2112

• Forkglider
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 06:33:22 PM »
I am glad to hear you guys talk about age. I was skeptical about starting back up at the age of 33. My wife thought I was crazy and some of my neighbors gave me some greif. Now that I am relearning some tricks they have changed their minds and think its cool. Some of my old riding buddies are also buying bikes after I took the first step. It has been at times a little hard on my body, but it gets easier as time goes by. I cant think of a better way to get a good workout. ;D

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 06:50:35 PM »
I'm just dying to call out the peeps here who call us old guys...you know who you are here too...and see if you're gunna be riding at our age... I'll be waiting for you....better than ever...haha!!  :wacko:

Offline Tweekend

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 11:36:24 AM »
I turned 31 this year, and only took up Flat from age 28.  Part of me is disappointed I didn't take it up from my teens, but another part of me is satisfied that those tricks that always impressed me when I started, that seemed almost impossible, I can already do  :)
There are about a handfull of trick that I still wanna do, and are currently working on, and if I can them all by the time I'm 40, then I'm a happy man.    I'll never be pro, but I love each and every session of riding, and will continue to do it for the enjoyment of it, well into my 40's and hopefully 50's.
The only downside to riding at an older age, is that recovery takes longer than it did in my teens.  I'm pretty fit, and in great shape for my age, so it's not a struggle to ride a 3-4 hour session. 
Just look at Mark Dandridge, a.k.a. Rad Dad.  Bustin decades and half-hikers at a ripe 'ol age.  lol   Sorry Mark.  :)

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 04:32:39 PM »
Pete B. and i was talking about how long he was going to ride competition
wise last night as i am staying at his house at the moment as i was on the
Central Coast staying with another pro flatlander but im in Fresno now baking
my ass off in the Central Valley heat!

anyways, there is no limit as long as you are able to ride and progress to an
point you still enjoy riding and can ride and im 47 years old and still ride tho
i am limited to riding because of health issues..i still ride!

i think Dion you need to shut the fook up and just go ride dude and you
know i speak straight out and wont hold my words back for anyone and
as long as you enjoy riding and can progress then go ride and dont worry
about how much longer yopu are going to ride for.

Offline leeroy002

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 10:16:03 PM »
just watched some olympic round up stuff and thers a few people in ther 40s winning medals, a 41yr old woman took 2 silvers in swimming, and some argentinian cyclist in the team was 43 and won gold, and a 49 yr old runner doing well,
so if the body and mind are still willing then u should be fine, just remember to warm up first