Author Topic: mainstreaming flatland  (Read 7980 times)

Prasheel

Re: mainstreaming flatland
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 10:33:08 PM »
The HUGE reason flatland isn't mainstream is this. I showed my friend a video I had on my Mp3 player (The L'opera video) and he says, "holy sh*t if I tried that I'd kill myself that looks soooo hard" people on the outside see flatland as something that is nearly impossible to do themselves. Someone needs to show them it's not hard to get into flat. Flat in 09 Dew Tour yezzir  :mellow:

And I suppose the general public see flip whips and 360 double whips and think to themself, "Hmmm, that doesn't look that hard, I could pull that off."?

Offline 1wheelin

• Backpacker
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 11:23:41 PM »
I think that if we as a whole, got some sexy girls to learn a few tricks and get them to show up to a jam or a contest and enter dressed in bikinis and skate shoes, everyone would wanna go and at leat watch!

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2008, 03:59:35 AM »
Flatlanders must show the right people (sponsors) that the sport is capable of very nice things.

We have to show that it is possible to actually move people towards the sport. And I'm not just talking about girlfriends and friends from the participants on a contest, which I bet makes the majority of the public there but also people who had never seen it before, they're kids too.

It seems that flatland is trying to take the jump to the next level, well social exposure is important.

joelweevil

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2008, 04:41:56 AM »
flatlanders are the WNBA of x-sports. we both play the same game-riding bikes, but most people don't want to watch.

Offline Bamalama

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2008, 05:03:23 AM »
flatlanders are the WNBA of x-sports. we both play the same game-riding bikes, but most people don't want to watch.

Not at all, people do want to watch but it's either love it or hate it not alot of room in the middle. The reason street is big is because to be a street rider you need to know one trick, bunny hop...

Offline flatmonkey

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2008, 05:34:51 AM »
I have read most of the post here and the brainstorming and opinions are great.  I have been doing mostly shows for about three years now and many kids are stoked on Flatland that we come across.  Many e-mail us and we are working on free bare basic video for younger kids to start.  One thing I read and agree is the classes at contest need to break down more so younger kids can come and participate and have a chance.  I had the opportunity to visit Lake Owen this summer and talk to a lot of young riders into the street and vert scene.  Many love the ideal of riding Flatland but, we all intimidate them in the since of our riding and age.  Like me I do a lot of older tricks but, a lot of links.  When I started breaking down simple things at Woodward the kids responded well.  Some even through some flatland in their end of week contest runs.  Once you have the young kids involved and becoming fans companies will grow to the idea of sponsoring events.  More kids will be buying parts and such and things will get cheaper because of larger production.   I come from the AFA days and I could go on and on but, I will not because there is good things today going on that did not back then.  We all communicate better than we did then...whether the ideas and feelings are good, bad, or indifferent.  When I go to contest and jams when I have time...I do not feel intimidated to ride like I did back then.  I could throw a small trick and the pros and everyone else will be in my corner stoked that I pulled something.   We are a brother and sisterhood and although it sucks we have been taken out of X and other events...one thing I have seen over the past few years is a time where flatlanders have came together.  I have a few ramp riders on my team and sometimes we go to events and people get stoked on the Flatland because it is different to them.  Other times I am just a show filler and the people love the ramps mostly.  This happened tonight at a show.  Either I get stoked people supporting bmx.  I have aslo watched Flatland grow more and more since we have left the X-Games.  The only down side is when someone holds a Jam or contest...whether you are a pro or whatever class...give that person credit...if you go no matter how good or bad support that persons efforts...They are trying to do something good...I have seen so many gripe about judging, the area, prizes, etc.  We all need to quit complaining and just ride and have fun and be glad so many people in the U.S. are trying to do something to support our riding.  No offense to those overseas...but, one thing that bugs me is that Flatland was huge in the U.S. back in the day in terms of contest...now other countries are killing us....in this...I travel a lot doing shows and can't afford to jet set to other countries even with my sponsorships....so when a U.S. contest comes along...embrace it...give some constructive criticism so it will be better the next year but, embrace the person for their time and efforts.  I have hosted and helped others and can tell you the people putting these together lose money out of their own pocket hand over foot.  I know you can't travel to all events...but, if you do stay and have fun....the next event will be better....Then companies will be like these riders are stoked to ride everywhere...and people putting on the contests will get more support and prizes and venues will become better.  If you asked to judge...do it....and if some one judges you do not gripe deal with it...give positive and negative feedback and move on..if you judge and someone states their opinion and it is negative but, in a respectful manner..consider it for future events...we will grow this way...we will learn...and all will become a learning process better and better...Chris Balles at Round Up last year used a method of judging we used six months later but , tweaked it a little...everyone we worked with on our contest was stoked and stated it was some great and fair judging...but, even our way we learned a few tricks....Just my opinions and thoughts...please do not shred me for my ideas...just my two cents...

Offline 1wheelin

• Backpacker
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2008, 12:01:26 AM »
The way that the world works is if a celebrity does it then its cool. So since we are all slaves to what they do and say, why hasn't a big company like KHE hired a celeb to make a commercial to sell there bikes n parts? Its obviously expensive but I'm sure that it wouldn't get the company to go south? When u were young, didn't u want every toy u seen on tv? didn't u drive ur parents crazy to atleast get one of those toys on tv for christmas or ur B-day? I think until a company breaks out with a commercial or something similar in comparison, walmart and toy'r'us are always gonna be what comes to mind when a parents wants to get there kid a bike. The parents that do have n idea are gonna get whatever the salesperson at the local bike shop tells them to. These companies need to spend some money on marketing. Ads in bmx plus and ride are only gonna effect the rider. Just like cigarettes campanies, u have to get them hooked when there small, Before they know any better. Get them hooked on flatland before they jonesing for jumps. an eight year old that just started to get good at riding around on his bike, starts to pop wheelies, goes home and watches an ad on tv of say adam kun doing some spins and wheelies or some kid from the dysney channel talking about how awesome flatland is, that kid is gonna sh*t his pants till he gets one