Author Topic: starting up  (Read 4068 times)

Offline 666negligent999

starting up
« on: August 16, 2008, 01:17:49 AM »
well i'm knew to the artform known as flatland, although i have alot of experience from riding street previously, but i havent really ridin with dedication for about 3 years when i was 18.

i plan on buying a DK signal since its the cheapest flatland specific bike i can get, and according to flatlandfuel its their favorite beginners bike.. the only thing i dont like about it is the stem/bars, but i plan on getting the mike s bars or the swissmiss.. i just have a few questions

are the swissmiss bars true zero offset like the mike s bars?? i know their alot lighter, but money is somewhat of an issue although i guess their only an extra 30 bucks more.. what do you guys think about both of the bars for those of you who have rode both of them, or even if you've only rode one

i'm 6'2 and i was wondering if the geometry/lengths of the signal would be good for me, i know its a matter of personal preference, but from what i've read its kind of a general rule of thumb that short riders ride short frames and tall riders ride longer frames

also, on the signal, are the forks full offset or minimal, they look like their minimal offset to me but i wasnt sure.. i'm thinking that i'll probably eventually grab up some zero offset forks too, cuz i want the front end of my bike to kind of feel like a machine, not all ergonomically correct, that way the bars/forks feel almost the same no matter which side of them i'm on

Offline Bamalama

• Cliffhanger
Re: starting up
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 03:20:08 AM »
Yeti you got that backwards, Swiss has min upsweep and min backsweep. Mike S has none of either. Please, call flatland a sport not an artform. Most beginners start with the signal then upgrade to fit themselves.

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 03:48:36 AM »
My Mike S bars have a EVER so slight upsweep... you have to stare at it. But there is a touch.

I like Mike S bars over the Swiss Miss just for the fact the bars are the same forward or back. I never worry which way the bars are...unless I need the front brake...and the zero setup is very comfortable to me. Others will disagree but that's what I am comfortable with. :)

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 05:21:32 AM »
Theres no point in getting zero bars with a minimal fork... it just doesnt make sense.

Lots of people love the swiss miss. I havent tried them yet but they sure do look nice.

The Mike S. are completely zero so they are the only way to achieve a complete zero front. Only downside is they are a bit heavier then the swiss miss bars.

The signal really is a great bike. I reccomend new tires as the first upgrade... makes all the difference in the world. Next would be forks... or at least thats the way im building my signal.
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline 666negligent999

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 06:48:39 AM »
well i plan on buying zero offset forks a couple weeks after i get the bike, so havin the zero offset bars might be a lil goofy at first but not for long

and sorry for callin it an artform instead of a sport... i never looked at it as a sport since theres no team, no rules (except the laws of physics) and no playing field/court really, so callin it a sport to me sounds to x-gamesy

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 07:20:27 AM »
well i plan on buying zero offset forks a couple weeks after i get the bike, so havin the zero offset bars might be a lil goofy at first but not for long

and sorry for callin it an artform instead of a sport... i never looked at it as a sport since theres no team, no rules (except the laws of physics) and no playing field/court really, so callin it a sport to me sounds to x-gamesy

dont be to harsh on yourself... I like to call flatland ballet on wheels with way more ballz.
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 02:03:42 PM »

Call it whatever you want... it's recreation, it's a sport, it's an art form... it's whatever you feel it is man. :)

Offline lJohnnyTheFoxl

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 07:03:42 PM »
I'm not sure if the Mike S bar will even work on the signal fork.  I switched out my signal fork and handlebar with a Mike S bar/stem and a suelo zero fork, and the 165 mm steer tube was not long enough for the Mike S after a gyro.  I could clamp on about half of the stem, but I could not fit a compression bolt on, so my stem kept getting loose, which causes the handlebar/fork to wiggle in the headtube.

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 07:48:49 PM »
I'm not sure if the Mike S bar will even work on the signal fork.  I switched out my signal fork and handlebar with a Mike S bar/stem and a suelo zero fork, and the 165 mm steer tube was not long enough for the Mike S after a gyro.  I could clamp on about half of the stem, but I could not fit a compression bolt on, so my stem kept getting loose, which causes the handlebar/fork to wiggle in the headtube.

Don't use the washer on the Mike S compression bolt. That will give you the needed threads to tighten the compression bolt down.

I ran a gyro for over a year on my 165mm Mike S fork and Mike S bars....no problems ever.

I can post pics if anyone needs them.