Author Topic: ARRGGHHH! HELP!  (Read 4449 times)

Offline morgan

• Team
  • Backpacker
  • Old fool on an old tool
Re: ARRGGHHH! HELP!
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 06:43:15 PM »
SnICKer... Nah, I ditched my brakes two years ago on my street bike, so it feels more natural and flowing without them...  Riding brakeless has done wonders for my balance... 

Got me a list of tricks...  Trackstand, Peg/Dork Wheelie, Forkglide, Steamrollers, Barspin, Boomerang.

I reckon the last two are fairly advanced for a newby, but it's something to aim for!  Looking forward to my first session mixing it up!
More off than on, but still loving it! Flatland until you can't!

Offline Dee.

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 11:06:05 PM »
Definately think its best to practise a variety o tricks, think they can all help with eachother. i was havin a hard time with tailwhips, just couldnt stay balanced enough over the front. after not doin em for a week and messin with squeakers n bw steams etc, bang. landed my first ever tailwhip after a few trys! It all helps mon.  :ph34r:.. and as they say. practise practise practise  ;D :beer: 

Offline Nesquik

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 05:46:20 AM »
SnICKer... Nah, I ditched my brakes two years ago on my street bike, so it feels more natural and flowing without them...  Riding brakeless has done wonders for my balance... 

Got me a list of tricks...  Trackstand, Peg/Dork Wheelie, Forkglide, Steamrollers, Barspin, Boomerang.

I reckon the last two are fairly advanced for a newby, but it's something to aim for!  Looking forward to my first session mixing it up!
Not trying to steal if from you, but I think mine is exactly the same, minus the boomerangs.

I got the fork glide down, and barspins weren't as difficult once I was finally ready to give em a good throw.

Good luck, I hope I have it.

EDIT: One more thing, I am a newbie too, and I found that the tutorials on this site on excellent, and it's how I learned to barspin in 2 days. =]

Offline morgan

• Team
  • Backpacker
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 10:26:28 AM »
Nesquick... cheers man.  I got a really good session in last night.  Did my first 360 trackstand- landed with my feet on the flat, but loved it! YAY PROGRESSION!

Mixed up my session, started with stands, moved onto Peg wheelies - balanced!, Forkglides - how do you stay straight?, Boomerangs - well, I span round anyway! and stated spinning the bars too!  (Letting go of the bars is damn scary!)  Had a few bunny hops and wheelies to celebrate! My feline friend even came to visit!

This is the best session yet...  Psyched on progression and loving the feeling of my bike, got used to balance and weight.  A big THANK YOU to all of you wonderful flatlanders - corny, but, I'm down for life!  Pics going up in my gallery shortly...

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 04:15:50 PM »
SWEET, Morgan!

Offline morgan

• Team
  • Backpacker
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 04:43:37 PM »
Thanks Dion...  Just wanna ride more now, oh, and save for a Instrumental frame! - DREAM!  ;D

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 06:23:06 PM »
no dream. my friend. Make it a reality.  I was checking out ur bike in the gallery. When u get ur full on flat rig, it will feel more balanced.  I asked about brakes because they can be a helpful tool. Certain tricks will make u bail a whole lot. sometimes a dab of brake will reel in the inevitable chaos. U dont have to use them, but from a beginners perspective, and u being a goldie like myself, we cant take the physical abuse like the yunguns'. I know i cant.
Funny... I'm considering putting my rear brake on... but the problem is when I get my Tubo frame after I destroy this heavy a$$ Stylus frame, there are no brake mounts. I might as well keep them off... but I really want them on.

Screw it, maybe I won't get the Tubo after this frame just to keep the rear brakes.

Offline morgan

• Team
  • Backpacker
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 08:27:24 PM »
Hey guys... The Instrumental WILL be mine - jus gotta scarpe the cash together, which may take a while.  I know what you mean about brakes... I love the feeling of rolling without them, but when I really started riding flat this year, I still had a back brake.

I liked the stability it gave to start off with, but have got used to balance without it, plus I seem to have a bit of a problem setting the buggers up. A front brake on a new set-up may be cool, especially as I'm thinking of going for Suelo forks.

You're right about the healing too, SnICKer, not beaten, but really exhausted today... Us old guys need our naps!

Offline automaton

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 09:14:30 PM »

Hey that's my trick list. I can usually ride into a track stand and scuff it around 360 degrees once. Still trying to ride back out. Sometimes I can by going into a forkglide. My peg wheelie balance is way better than it ever was before. Forkglides I can now do straight or in circles either direction. Steamrollers are tougher. Seem to better in reverse than foward. Also been trying both feet on the pegs and doing a reverse steamroller. Can do it for a bit but not too long. I try bar spins and boomerangs but nothing happens! Those are gonna take more practice and overcoming fear. I also try megaspins but accomplish nothing yet. And I usually end a session with a long stretch of practicing the stick b or caboose (choose your term). I used to do these fairly well on an old Trick Star frame years ago but now I'm relearning it and it's taking some time. I'm making progress though. Every time I practice this trick I get better. I can do it for a short stretch but I can't keep going. This is the one I want to nail again. It's fun as hell even though I could never ride into it.

apoirier

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2008, 05:23:06 AM »

Me throwing my bike...After riding for six years, and not being able to do my practice tricks, oh boy, that's when all hell breaks loose...Haha.

Offline morgan

• Team
  • Backpacker
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2008, 04:47:56 PM »
Automaton - Know what you mean about barspins... scary as hell letting go!  Just been spinning the bars on the flat so far, getting used to catching them.  Boomerangs are fun, getting used to jumping off to get back on - half way round so far!

Balance on peg wheelies is good, and consisently getting 3/4 way round on trackstands - even in the wet!  I love English weather!

General call out - Thinking about chopping my bars to 26" wide and running a smaller 1" race stem (I have an old 1" frame), reackon it'll take my weight? I'm not too heavy, and figure it'll help being closer to the bike...  Cheers Ya'll!