Author Topic: question about bb  (Read 2729 times)

Offline sirgoldenhamster

question about bb
« on: August 05, 2008, 01:25:26 AM »
i got a ecoflat pro crankset, came with a rpm isis bottom bracket.  i want to get a sadio plastic bottom bracket.  now the rpm is like any other isis bottom bracket, its got the spindle wraped up in this casing sh*t, and one of the cups is removable, like a sleve.  if i get the sadio bottom bracket, it seem to me i would have to remove the spindle from all this casing, right?  it looks like i gotta go at it with a hammer to get it out, it just looks permenently in there, like terminator forged it together...  the new hollow flat crank come only with a spindle and no casing, looks like they would work perfect for this sinario. is there any way to remove my spindle?????? -thanks, mike

Offline sirgoldenhamster

Re: question about bb
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 02:03:29 AM »
anyonne  know if they can be ripped apart??????

Offline Curmudgeon

• Backpacker
Re: question about bb
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 06:42:51 AM »
i don't think it’s gonna work, my tip, chuck that ham roller crap in the bin and buy a real mans’ crank set!   ^_^

whilst the isis is a good bb for road bikes and mid level non bmx completes, its sh*t for flat/bmx cos once you get a crankset that uses the isis bb, then you are stuck with it, the best you can do is get a ti isis bb. all this means you can’t have a million mods (like a different spinal or plastic bb) and we know how much ground riders love to mod. the issues you noted are spot on.

st martin should have never used it (and the only did for a year or two), i'm guessing the reason they did use it was 'cos the rights to it exist in the public domain and they would have got it cheap, rather than pay royalties for a design that isn’t say - crap!

take a look at the link below, it’s related to changing the bearings in an isis drive but it also illustrates your problem.

http://www.amclassic.com/pdfs/ISIS_Overhaul.pdf