Author Topic: Lacing ANY Rim HELP!  (Read 1917 times)

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
Lacing ANY Rim HELP!
« on: August 02, 2008, 01:50:45 AM »
I used the search (yay I'm getting better about that lol) but no dice. When lacing a hub to these rims, they are supposed to be cross laced correct? That is inbound spokes would run to the opposite side of the wheel correct? I'm looking at this article and in it George states to run it to the SAME side (as the pics show) BUT he is using an Alex Rim and I'm not sure how old the article is, though it is off G Sports sight. This is my first wheel build so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thx dudes. Here is that article -

http://www.gsportbmx.com/tech/guide_wheelbuilding.php
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 04:59:01 AM by The Brown Sound »
I'm like the brown LL Cool J.

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Lacing a G Sport Rim
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 02:04:24 AM »
Found my answer  ;D It seems to be yes, they do need to be cross laced for the strength benefits in case anyone else is looking. Hey like I said, it's my first build  ;D peace -

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 10:49:46 AM »
if you use cross lacing, 4x cross is the strongest

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 01:03:28 PM »
Yep, that's what I used! Though I was a lil bummed when I looked at me street/park ride and saw my dude laced my back wheel up only 3x (for 48's that is) I figured of all the bikes that would benefit from 4x lacing, that would be the one. I can always redo it worst case...

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 01:36:43 PM »
i saw also 5x cross lacing, thats something weird, you need to bend the spokes to make 5 cross...

just get 4x cross its the best  :beer:

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 03:57:58 PM »
why r spokes so bent :huh: too much IMO. i have my rear wheel 4x but my spokes r almost straight so i realy don`t understand if they should be bent like that

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 04:27:17 PM »
^ so there r dieferent versions of 4x laced wheel :huh:

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 05:41:47 PM »
Also you are seeing the wheel without tension on the spokes, so the spokes are bent from crossing/weaving them . Once you add the proper tension the spokes for the most part will straighten out. The finished product is at the very bottom but like someone said, he does the over 2,under 3, over 4 - which is how I did it as well. Hey man, I'm a heavyweight lol so I gotta make sure they can take me jumping around the bike. You know for when I tailwhip Bunnyhop into a Crackpacker  ^_^ :ph34r: Word holmes word  :beer:

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Lacing ANY Rim HELP!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 05:01:02 AM »
Ok I'm at the point where I'm adding tension. Some of the nipples are real hard to turn. I tightened all the nipples to the point where the thread was just about to dissapear into the nipple. I then went around the whole wheel adding 3 turns. I had to replace one nipple as the end just got too stripped (where you tighten w the screwdriver) I then learned I should prob use the spoke wrench at that point (lol) My question is, how do I know when all is tight enough? Thx -

Best,

Rai //

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Lacing ANY Rim HELP!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 04:31:44 AM »
 IDK if its the correct tech way,but I just tighten mine to were its hard to squueeze the spokes together,but they should still flex like 1-2 mm,if you squeeze them super hard..

While your tightening them,when they start to get tight constantly squish spokes together with a wrench,put the wheel on the floor and walk around on its sides,etc seats the spokes in and makes a much better wheel..should hear some nice pinging and popping noises..