Author Topic: DK Signal  (Read 15082 times)

Offline N1cko

• Forkglider
DK Signal
« on: September 16, 2006, 03:22:42 AM »
This is like my 100th bike thread but... IM BUYIN THE DK SIGNAL!

Im buying the 05 version because its in a store near me and i dont really like the mint 07 version or the 06 olive version  :wacko:

The 05 is in gray and i wanted to know one thing.... Are the parts on it the same as the 07 and the 06 version? I know the colours and the graphics are different though.

Heres what the 07 version has...

FRAME DK Flat 19"tt; 4130 chromoly main tubes w/welded gyro tabs and wrap around gusset
FORK DK Fork ;100% 4130 chromoly w/ brake pivots, tapered legs and minimal offset
HANDLEBAR DK 2 piece design;high tensile strength steel
STEM DK Pro race 1-1/8” clamp-on w/ Gyro cable stop plate; alloy
HEADSET 1-1/8” Threadless, black ED Chromoly
GRIPS DK Vice Grips w/plastic anti throttle bar ends.
FRONT BRAKES Tektro 907A U-brake
REAR BRAKES Tektro 907A U-brake
DETANGLER Driving Force
LEVERS Tektro 289A alloy
CRANKS 165mm one-piece; Black ED finish
CHAINWHEEL 28T stamped Steel; Black ED
BB Caged ball bearing OPC type; black ED finish.
PEDALS Wellgo Flatland
CHAIN 1/2” X 1/8” KMC Z-410; black/sliver
FREEWHEEL Freecoaster
RIMS Sun ZX-25 48-spoke single wall alloy; Chrome plated
HUBS Freecoaster; w/14mm axle adaptors
SPOKES Black ED plated with brass nipples
TIRES Cheng Shin 1.95” F/R wraparound tread design; blackwall
SADDLE Flatland design w/8mm rails and Kevlar cover
SEATPOST 25.4mm O.D.; steel
CLAMP Alloy single-bolt design
ACCESSORIES Four Aluminum 2” pegs

Heres a pic of the 07

and one of the 05 which im buying

*courtesy of flatlandfuel*

So does anyone know if the parts are the same (or if you can notice a difference in the pictures)? If you know something thats changed over the years or can find a part list like the one above for the 07 please post it   -_-

OH YEAH DOES ANYONE KNOW THE WEIGHT OF ANY OF THE MODELS OF THE SIGNAL I CANT FIND ONE FOR ANY OF THEM  :ph34r:

it'd also be cool if i can get some opinions on if it looks like a good bike or if anyone has any experience with the signal  :wub:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 03:29:51 AM by N1cko »

KinKou

Re: DK Signal
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 01:06:22 PM »
I believe the parts are all the same or very similar if you can get the 05 at a discounted price I'd go for it

KK

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 03:55:00 PM »
Both model's look very good, I like that light-greenish tone, it looks different that what we see nowadays, anyway, being so similar just buy the one that costs the less ;)

Offline N1cko

• Forkglider
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 04:17:21 AM »
I FOUND THE WEIGHT!

34 Lbs... atleast it says so in an article on bmxplusmag.com

Thats not that heavy for a flatland bike is it?

Also i've been wondering in general how to shave some pounds off bikes without takin off brakes  ^_^ is getting different parts the only way?

Offline Vic

• Cliffhanger
  • New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 07:42:51 AM »
34lbs is quite a fair bit, but it'll do for us beginners. Do you know how much the frame alone weighs? or the bars? the bars are really heavy, and bulky
griOt: "I suggest start learning Hang5. This trick will open a lot of doors, such as courage"

KinKou

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 12:59:09 PM »
The first few things on the signal I would change to loose a bit of weight would be

Handlebars
Odyssey Bar Mitzvah at $35 or Hoffman Momentum Handlebar at $30 are both good budget options

Stem
Hoffman Momentum Stem at ÂŁ30 is a nice cheap stem at $30 and the KHE Flat26 Stem
is a lighter option for a bit more cash at $50

Seat
Primo Steroid Seat or Velo Flatland Saddle will be the best $10 you will spend

After that its just a case of replacing anything that brakes or you dont like.

KK

Offline Vic

• Cliffhanger
  • New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 01:18:45 PM »
The first few things on the signal I would change to loose a bit of weight would be

Handlebars
Odyssey Bar Mitzvah at $35 or Hoffman Momentum Handlebar at $30 are both good budget options

Stem
Hoffman Momentum Stem at ÂŁ30 is a nice cheap stem at $30 and the KHE Flat26 Stem
is a lighter option for a bit more cash at $50

Seat
Primo Steroid Seat or Velo Flatland Saddle will be the best $10 you will spend

I didn't know the seat would've made that much difference, I thought it was all in the seatpost.

what are the bars made of? I was only planning on replacing the frame and the fork (zero offset), didn't think the seat or bars would make that much difference either.
griOt: "I suggest start learning Hang5. This trick will open a lot of doors, such as courage"

KinKou

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 03:05:50 PM »

I didn't know the seat would've made that much difference, I thought it was all in the seatpost.

I was just suggesting some cheap upgrades

what are the bars made of? I was only planning on replacing the frame and the fork (zero offset), didn't think the seat or bars would make that much difference either.

The bars are tensile steel (heavier and weaker thanCrMo)

To be fair if your a  beginner you dont realy need to change anything apart from parts you brake, just ride it for a year or so and then you will have some idea of what your looking for in a bike

KK

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 03:11:39 PM »
Yep, ride it, learn the basic stuff and then you'll get a picture of what you need to change to improve or go to the next level, right now it's just nice the way it is, I rode a Haro Revo.9 for more than a year.

Offline ErikETBA

• Forkglider
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 03:41:55 PM »
Each and every little thing adds to the weight, I wouldn't replace anything until it needed it.  Everything on the bike is great for beginners... The only question I have is, Why buy a complete and then replace the frame and fork???  Overall that is a great bike, I have heard nothing but good things from people who have purchased and/ or rode them.

Peace
-E-
"It is nice to be important, but far more important to be nice..."

Offline N1cko

• Forkglider
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 06:19:27 PM »
I was thinking of buyin a KGB Psychopower before then using practically all the parts on another bike I have for it but for about $50 more I could get a whole new bike which is the Signal  :wacko:

And on the getting a complete and changin the parts... I'm probably not going to do it for a while but i'm new to flatland anyways if i do that i'd probably do little things like the bars, seat, stem and stuff  just to lose some weight then after a year or two do a bigger change like the frame.

KinKou

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 06:26:39 PM »
I was thinking of buyin a KGB Psychopower before then using practically all the parts on another bike I have for it but for about $50 more I could get a whole new bike which is the Signal  :wacko:

And on the getting a complete and changin the parts... I'm probably not going to do it for a while but i'm new to flatland anyways if i do that i'd probably do little things like the bars, seat, stem and stuff  just to lose some weight then after a year or two do a bigger change like the frame.

Thats the Best thing to do mate :beer:

KK

Offline clionb

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 08:06:20 PM »
I have a DK signal and like ppl said its a good biek to begin with, i had a tank mongoose for about 9 months or so and i got my signal in june. So far ive switched out the fork(had it already), stem and tires and pegs, but you cant see em in that pic

I really need to get rid of those hi ten low bars, ill be coppin either some Brickhouse or Seulo bars both are really really light. Or i might get cranks first cuz the hi tens are bending already from my abuse :wacko: The 06 and 07 signal weight 30.5 lbs idk about 05, but every hi ten part on the bike once changed will drastically change the weight. these parts are the bars,seat post, cranks, and im guessing the steam also. Switching the tires will bring down weight also

Offline Vic

• Cliffhanger
  • New Zealand
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 10:32:48 AM »
is there any point getting zero bars and fork if you're keeping the same signal stem?

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 01:57:37 AM »
It does but the stem is probably what makes the most difference and bars the less.