Author Topic: What trick defines flatland  (Read 11290 times)

Offline ARTUR

• Cliffhanger
  • Pikachu!
Re: What trick defines flatland
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 06:44:05 AM »
Bar ride or Miami hopper :huh:

Offline It's like that

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 12:46:57 PM »
Hitchhiker for sure

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 01:09:22 PM »
You are all forgetting framestands and funky chickens.

Where would we be without framestands and funky chickens, oh the agony, the anguish!
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline SIN

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 03:40:57 PM »
1.) Wheelie
2.) Endo
3.) Tail Whip
4.) Boomerang

If I had to choose one, I would pick the ENDO....

katobmx

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2008, 12:42:58 AM »
Those tricks are really the original bmx tricks which all other tricks stem from, but I would go with the hiker

Offline Oltorf

• Cliffhanger
  • It's time to get serious!
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2008, 12:46:50 AM »
wheelie
Sickchild           Sequence                    bmxfreestyler.com                           720 Action Sports

Offline RafaelVargas

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2008, 07:35:03 AM »
id have to agree with everyone that is saying endo. just because of how many oldschool photos ive seen of this trick. Nowadays flatland  defining trick is the halfpacker. everyone throws one in their run. i guess that makes it a staple move though, not defining. damn i need to get off global...

Offline condemned bmx

• Deathtrucker
  • yo
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2008, 04:52:58 PM »
bar ride/ decade
slater

bloody flat

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 05:17:57 PM »
Decade defines Oldschool.....definetly

But the trick,defining modern flatland  in it's complexity and style, is the Steamroller and it's variations.

Offline HeavenlyGrippingBeast

• This all hurts....even when I land right....
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 05:27:09 PM »
Hang Five.

As simple as it is, it's a wierd, complex trick that can either take 15 min. or a year to learn. It also will beat the hell out of you flipping forward trying to learn them. Any other trick is an easy bail out that you can just toss the bike and walk away. A hang 5 is not like that.

*EDIT*

On second thought...

The trick that defines flatland is the basic endo. The purest and rawest form of flatland known... even simpler than a trackstand or a wheelie. If you have a foot or a front brake you can do an endo, on just about any bike. Little kids do endos on junk bikes in third world countries. It's what everybody learns and it's accessible flatland for everyone.
Yeah then... The Endo was pretty much the beginning of all flatland as we know it so I agree with the hang-five or endo  being the all time distinguishing silhouette

ntrikat

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2008, 05:32:42 PM »
1.) Wheelie
2.) Endo
3.) Tail Whip
4.) Boomerang

just my opinion.
these tricks opened many doors.
hard to choose just one though.

only reason why i didnt include wheelie and endo  was because they can both be done on almost any vehicle and accdentally as well.  They are tricks indeed but flatland? To me flatland is the evolution of the tricks.  So in laymans terms, yes there were bike tricks before flatland, but it wasnt "FLATLAND" until i saw my first tail whip. And no, it wasnt a controlled accident, it was  an outside the box expression of style.

great points. makes me think about it a little more.
wheelies and endos are common in other sports/activities,
even boomerangs aren't specific to flatland or bmx.
it seems a tail whip may be the defining flatland trick.
it evolved from an endo, it opened the door for steam rollers and eventually hitch hikers.
tail whip can be stalled, hopped, squeaked, scuffed, and glided.
i doubt you'll see moto-x or artistic fixies or many other sports doing them (scooters and mountain bikers got the bunny hop version).
tail whip definitely originated from bmx though.
thank you brian blyther and mike dominguez.

Offline edwardjay

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2008, 05:35:20 PM »
hang 5

Offline midwestside

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2008, 06:43:20 AM »
From my perspective, wheelies and endos were being done off to the side of bmx racing tracks, just passin time between heats along with rock walks.
Not truly flatland yet.

Born from there came Pogos,Framestands, Sliders and Kick turns on wedge ramps.
BMX Action used to have some spreads called "Trick Riding".
Haro,RL and Mike Buff divorced from the racing scene, just kickin it in a parkinglot.
Although flatland tricks were cropping up in this "Trick Riding", A rider seemed to need a wedge ramp and a quarter pipe while perfoming these stunts in public shows. You had to be double or triple duty.

Personally for me a magazine called "Super BMX" showcased alot of seperated out content.
They would have the Pro vert guys in sections,  And Woody Itson and Martin Aparijo being dedicated to doing lots of flat how tos in "ground riding".  I.E.  lawnmowers,front peg hop tailwhips, etc.
To me in a way, ground riding as we called, was being showcased by this mag as its own thing, pre Freestylin Magazine.

To deal with the "defining" trick, I'll go with the Cowboy. Its a no handed bar endo with both feet on the front tire.

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2008, 09:58:17 PM »
 Not a trick, but frame standing platforms...used to...just scream flatland..Frames looked weird as hell when they started coming without platforms

Offline Brickhead

• Funky Chicken
  • No sir, you're a towel.
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2008, 01:08:24 PM »
Backside Walkaround