Author Topic: Do you ever feel like you bike hates you?  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Hate60CT

Do you ever feel like you bike hates you?
« on: July 17, 2008, 01:37:35 AM »
so ive been begining to think this is true. lets go down the list why.
all in the last month.
1- stripped front axel.
2- replaced it then snaped the new one.
3- 5 tubes in the past 2 week. with no reason why, no dings in the rim to snag on, no problems with the rim strip...
4- just got my new suleo forks and mike s bar in today. so pumped. then bam!! they dont work together....

its trying to tell me something or see how much ill take. idk either way it sucks.

Offline APechon

• Funky Chicken
Re: Do you ever feel like you bike hates you?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 02:51:23 AM »
I think bikes have a mind of their own, sometimes they love you, other times they don't.
It's the great bmx god Wanbacco. (Juan-Bach-Oh)

Offline bmx4lif3

• Cliffhanger
  • So-Cal
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 03:01:28 AM »
how do bars not work with forks?
take off some spacers to run ur stem?
or remove backbrakes, suelo v2 forks = f*ckING RETARDEDLY SHORT

Offline Hate60CT

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 04:39:30 AM »
the compression bolt doesnt reach inside the forks to grab. that with no spacers. i have a regular headset tho, i think thats the problem. if i had intergrated it would probally reach.

Offline Muse

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 04:46:15 AM »
Pedal bites :angry:

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 04:52:46 AM »
you have a regularheadset?   like with press in cups to hold the bearings?

it is possible that you might be able to trim away a small amount of the head tube on both sides  to shorten the reach of it,  and then press those cups back in = giving you more steerer tube to fit those mike s bars.
Old dudes can still rip

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 05:21:41 AM »
 I was chillin watchin tv,my bikes like 10 ft away..I hear a loud CRACK noise come from my bike..Took me 5 minutes looking over the bike till I figured out the front wheel wont move...Turns out the bearings in it shattered when I wasnt even riding it..What the f*ck??

Offline Hate60CT

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 05:35:02 AM »
hmm i get what your sayin, should work. im hoping not to go that crazy with it tho.

Offline bmx4lif3

• Cliffhanger
  • So-Cal
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 06:29:45 AM »
just take it to ur local bikeshop they can help!

Offline (B)MX_4-Ever

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 06:56:20 AM »
my bike just stares at me and haunts my dreams, and one time it held a knife to me telling me "BUY ME SOME GOD DAMN WHEELS!!!". i really try to meet its orders, but i have not bought wheels yet.

sorry, im just really super bored right now.

Offline smiley (Roy)

• GF Inhabitant
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 08:50:32 AM »
What headset are you using ? Try finding a headset with a lower stack height. Most mfgs list stack heights in the product specs.

-Roy
If you are for real, you probably spend enough time on your bike that there's no time left for talking sh*t on message boards.

Of course, if all you do is talk sh*t on message boards, you're probably not as good or as cool as you think you are.

-- McGoo

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 03:43:07 PM »
I was chillin watchin tv,my bikes like 10 ft away..I hear a loud CRACK noise come from my bike..Took me 5 minutes looking over the bike till I figured out the front wheel wont move...Turns out the bearings in it shattered when I wasnt even riding it..What the f*ck??

Um, yeah... that is what we call a "haunted bike".  :wacko:

A few things I've learned from working and *ruining* motorcycle parts:

1. Everything has a lifespan. The cheaper the part (or cheaply made), the shorter the lifespan.

2. You don't have to torque down on threaded parts using gorilla strength. Get yourself a torque wrench and use this website as a guide: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=88

Wheel nuts only have a torque spec of 260-390 in - lbs. That doesn't mean you step on the socket wrench and tighten it with your body weight.

3. Aluminum is weak.

4. Grease your parts that will have weight on them or constant movement, like crank spindles, brakes and seat posts. If you don't, they will creak. You'll want to take it apart again to get rid of the creaking, and thus possibly striping bolts.

5. GREASE YOUR THREADS ON WHEEL AXLES! Remember, you don't have to tighten the nuts on your axles with gorilla strength. Use a torque wrench and the guide. Overtightening will actually twist the axles a bit, and thus weakening them. That's how you snap axles.

6. If you know you're not going to be loosening and tightening a part (pretty much it'll stay there, like a seat post clamp bolt) you can use a little mid-grip loctite on the threads. That way you don't have to use a death torque to keep it tight.

This is your featherly light flatland bike, not a Sherman tank. Nothing destroys high-end aluminum parts like monster torque out of torque specifications.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 03:47:00 PM by Dion Rides »

Offline Hate60CT

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 03:47:31 AM »
bars now fit! 4in grinder + mike s bars - 1/8in extra metal below the welds = working bike.

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 04:04:44 AM »
yes my bike hates me because I haven't ridden it in over 2 weeks and won't be able to for another 10. 

I apologize to it every day