Author Topic: Stupid bike mistakes  (Read 6725 times)

Offline djmikec

• Backpacker
    • BMXFlatland.Net
Stupid bike mistakes
« on: July 15, 2008, 06:04:55 PM »
While re-installing my front wheel after changing the tire, I stripped out the threading on the axle.  Now I can't ride until I get it replaced, and have been kicking myself ever since.

Anyone else have stories of parts they ruined through stupidity?  Come on, make me feel better. 
Check out BmxFlatland.Net, created to help beginning BMX flatland riders to learn about, participate in, and enjoy the art/sport of flatland.

Offline Julian Battelli

• Team
  • Funky Chicken
Re: Stupid bike mistakes
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 06:08:57 PM »
Once when I have replacing crank I've putted everything on the left side and realise of it in moment when i sit on my bike and can ride backward:D

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 06:14:49 PM »
Yes. I am the king of AADD (Adult Attention Deficit Disorder)... so I work on a lot of projects at one time. I've gotten over the ruining parts phase (although I did overtighten my seatpost clamp on my street bike and it broke - cheap stock part from Danscomp) from working on motorcycles.

I have boxes and boxes of bike parts that are in perfectly good condition. I buy stuff, don't like it, and then put it in a box. I do this with a lot of stuff (motorcycle stuff, too), so I try to sell it on eBay to get back at least some of the money I spent. It's a horrible thing to do... I'd rather have that money go into my IRA account.

I'm going to have to gather everything and make a "lot" auction of BMX and road bike parts.

katobmx

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 12:22:12 AM »
I left my bike in the trunk of my moms car(during a texas summer) and found two flat tires

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 12:56:33 AM »
I flipped flopped my hub internals on my Nankai once and for 3 hours couldn't for the friggin damn life of me figure out why it would not engage! I was getting pissed and wanted to whip wrenches man!! lol

So finally after all else fails I flip it around and it worked.  :beer:

I now run a Geisha but that has absolutely nothing to do with anything here but I needed a random comment for the day.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 12:58:46 AM by Boosted One »

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 01:15:10 AM »
I threw my bike and broke 23 of 36 spokes, and ovalized  an Odyssey 7ka rim.
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline HUCK

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • www.huckindustries.com
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 02:18:16 AM »
Knocking in bearings and chipping or scuffing the frame sucks 10 fold. Anyone with me. Aaarrgghhhh!!! Now I know why park tools cost so much. Cause they're worth it.

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 02:41:15 AM »
 One time i put a bike together and put the drivetrain on the wrong side with the back wheel on backwards..I went to pedal and busted my knees open..

One time my buddy didnt tighten his front wheel i guess,we were riding down the street and his front wheel rolled away,into an intersection and it hit a moving car.

Offline Curmudgeon

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 06:04:43 AM »
i once forgot to put the driver bearings back into a nankai and then the guy whose hub it was rode it for a week the whole time wondering why the hub wasnt working that well and making a nasty crunching sound. it wasn't untill i cleaned up the mess from fixing the hub (a week later) and found the missing cage that we worked out why it was rooted.

Offline Bash

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 06:15:10 AM »
I broke a ton of hollow bolts on my stems, from over tightening.  I hate when parts move!

Offline (B)MX_4-Ever

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 06:25:11 AM »
Duno if this counts, but I was doin McCircles in the street, and I got too close to the curb withough knowing it, and I smacked into it backwards, and the bike like flipped over me, and I landed flat on my a$$.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 01:49:37 AM by (B)MX_4-Ever »

timk4130!

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 07:29:43 AM »
back in the late 80s early 90s i bought a bolt on plastic bash guard....because i couldnt afford a bully frame with one....so i broke it within five minutes of riding when i was about ten miles away from home...i ended up shattering the bash guard and tacoing my gt sprocket doing a sprocket stall on a rail from a grass bank!  on the way home...it f*cking poured....lol....so i had sh*tluck that day for sure....i spent twenty bucks for the bashguard...spent another twenty five bucks for a new sproket...but got a  free shower out of the deal!  i guess it all worked out! haha

Offline Milenko2121

• GF Inhabitant
  • "Girls come and go, but bikes are forever"
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 09:25:27 AM »
while replacing my front axle i smashed the bearing with a screw driver while trying to get it out.
"Sometimes You Just Need To Do Something... Different"

Offline morgan

• Team
  • Backpacker
  • Old fool on an old tool
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 11:15:55 AM »
A few years back, I replaced the busted cranks on my bike with a shiny new pair.  I spent a long time hammering in the BB cups (American BB...) and finally fitted the cranks.  When I tightened them up, they kept tightening.... I forgot the spacer!  Not being confident, I had to get a mate at a bike shop to set them up for me!

Oops!
More off than on, but still loving it! Flatland until you can't!

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 12:28:36 PM »
Yesturday I let my bike fall to the ground instead of catching it - I was frustrated.

When it hit, the nut ripped straight off the rear axle - I was lucky it was the nut that stripped and not the axle.

I didnt know untill now, but the rear nuts arn't screwing alot onto the axle due to my washer setup (long story) - so I guess in a way its good its warned me that my axle could break, but bad cause I need to find a new nut.

Goddammit.
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.