Author Topic: Taska BB Freecoaster Hub  (Read 3746 times)

Offline (B)MX_4-Ever

• Cliffhanger
Taska BB Freecoaster Hub
« on: July 13, 2008, 04:45:48 AM »
How is it? Is it decent?

I was getting a used full wheel with a Nankai, but the person never sent it to me and I am out $50. Thus, I do not have much to spend and came accross this. Lmk if I should evebn bother with it?

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Taska BB Freecoaster Hub
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 04:56:33 AM »
 Its not that bad.. if you know how to work on it..Its not really great either..

It works..

If you get it save up for a better fc in the meantime!!

Spare parts,just about any part from a junky kids bike coaster brake hubs work in it..

Offline (B)MX_4-Ever

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 05:08:05 AM »
Cool, thanks!

I have absolutely NO CLUE how to work on it...what tools would I need? How tough is it?

Offline flatlandfan

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 05:49:47 AM »
you talking about the unsealed taska?

It works, but leaves me thinking I could do better. I haven't tried any other freecoasters so I can't really say how well it works. Kinda noisy too  ;D

But hey it's a freecoaster and I haven't broken it yet. I've taken it apart a few times and it seems pretty solid inside. I don't see what could break if you maintain it right.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 05:53:09 AM by flatlandfan »

Offline (B)MX_4-Ever

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 05:56:56 AM »
you talking about the unsealed taska?

It works, but leaves me thinking I could do better. I haven't tried any other freecoasters so I can't really say how well it works. Kinda noisy too  ;D

But hey it's a freecoaster and I haven't broken it yet. I've taken it apart a few times and it seems pretty solid inside. I don't see what could break if you maintain it right.

Cool. How tough is it to maintain? What do you have to do?

(there is NO WAY its loader than my 6 yr old haro freewheel! lol)

Offline flatlandfan

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 06:02:23 AM »
If you're just ridin' around doing flatland you won't even notice the noise.

You need a 15mm flat (cone) wrench at the very least. You may also want a 13mm cone wrench and if you have 14mm axle adapters on it, the wernches (or socket) for the 14mm axle adapter nut.

It's not hard to adjust. The bearings are in "races" and not loose. Just pluck 'em out and regrease then lube up the clutch and all the springs and everything really good and slap it back together, then carefully adjust the cone nuts to the sweet spot as with any BB hub.

Rip it open once if you get one and you'll see how easy it is. 
Wipe and regrease like normal.

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 08:12:57 AM »
from time to time freecoasters seem to work their way loose or tight.
= meaning the jam nuts on it either loosen up - and the wheel will have a little "giggle" back and fourth in it - wich is terrible for the bearings and cone
OR- the nuts will tighten up a little and make the bearings in the hub too tight,  wich causes exessive friction heat and wear on the parts.

I have a taska in my dk signal wheel set I got from johnu773.   it works fine.
I took it apart,   and smeared good grease all up in it,  ( coated all moving parts )
and put it back together,   and set the jamb nuts on it good with the proper cone wrench
and it has been working fine ever since.

I believe the taska hub is under rated. - mostly due to the fact that newbs get it and dont ajust it ever - and it wears out -  and then everyone hates on it.
for $35  you cant beat that deal with a stick.
Old dudes can still rip

Offline FromOldSchool

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 08:30:15 AM »
Cool, thanks!

I have absolutely NO CLUE how to work on it...what tools would I need? How tough is it?

how does a freecoaster work? i took mine apart and it took me two days to figure it out how it works. i guess i'm a slow learner. when the driver engages or screws in the clutch. it squeezes the hub which makes it turn. in order to make that happen, there is a spring that holds the clutch still so that the driver can screw into it. if you take the spring out, guess what happens, you can pedal backwards and forwards but the the bike will go no where, try it.