Author Topic: Damn you, light-bike-having b@stards!  (Read 8771 times)

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
Damn you, light-bike-having b@stards!
« on: July 11, 2008, 07:48:22 PM »
After lifting up yingyang's bike and seeing it weigh in at a feathery 23lbs. I already swapped out the pedals from some Ody Twisted PC pedals and I took my eBay earnings and bought some goodies:

Sunset Flatland Seat
Suelo V2 Fork
Sequence Hook Stem (26mm)
St Martin Holloflat Crank (145mm)
St Martin Ecoflat/Hollowflat Sprocket (26t)
St Martin Front U Brake

I guess me, and my bike, can afford to lose a few lbs. As far as bling is concerned, my bike will be green and black!

Offline bmx4lif3

• Cliffhanger
  • So-Cal
Re: Damn you, light-bike-having b@stards!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 08:09:12 PM »
lol my bike is going from 23.4... to 25 something, stupid gyro!
but i miss decades
and now that i am better, i wanna see if i can link stuff up! so i think its worth it then learn them brakeless eventually

Offline gtcesflat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 08:34:16 PM »
Dion Rides,
               Yeah, flatland definantly is a possitve in your life.  I had a Quamen (don't remember what year)  It was heavy as sin.....   I went to a comp. in TX (The Round-up) and picked up  Adam Diclaudio's KHE Tantra bike and realized my bike was way too heavy.  I bought a Ares Garuda and Scott told me that i may be a little on the heavy side for it.  I bought it anyway and lost 35 pounds.  So go for it!!!!!!   It's all good.

Offline APechon

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 09:22:11 PM »
Love It. I used to have this bike that was close to 38lbs. I could still pull some of the simple tricks and balance was waaay easy on it. This bike I have now is close to 23lbs. Much, much nicer for everything. Still trying to find balance on it after riding for close to a month lol. Damn weight changing crap!

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 09:34:02 PM »
I found that the SHOW I just sold was too light and too short.it was a svelte 22 lbs and considering my 230 lb ass =bad ratio. I just got my macneil TC frame and Im building it a bit heavier  around 25-26 lbs, a lil counter balance if you will. ;D :beer:

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 01:26:57 AM »
That maceil  is looking good.

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 02:11:12 AM »
yeah that travis frame is gona be a smoking ride for shure I bet.

I am a light bike having basterd.
built up on a shoe string budget - it currently weighs in at 21lb flat.  and im using a frame that weighs 4.80 by it self.  - its alot of good ride to it. - nice feeling across - like not light up front but heavy back , its pretty even across some how. - or at least thats how it feels to me.

I hope to pick up a zion luna frame  and drop from 4.8lb frame to 3.9lb frame
and get my bike to weigh in at under 20lb by a hair.   then it will be done.

since I used to be a skateboarder for all of my youth - I have severly damaged my wrists - and riding a heavy bike actually is verry un comftroble for me.   having to mussle around all that extra weight of the bike using parts of me that are damaged to the point of no return is not a good idea.     
when I had my 35lb aries ashura bike  I could ride an hour and be dead hurting after.
now I have 21lb feather to ride - and I can session 3 good hours and still go to work next day
Old dudes can still rip

rully

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 03:45:51 AM »
Dion Rides, wait till you get in the game just a little bit deeper...

or be in this forum for a little bit longer.

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 03:47:22 AM »
Hey Brian,

Yeah I read your bike is 21lbs! Craziness!

I still will be riding a front brake... not sure if I should lose the rear brake or not. I broke my cable with the stupid F-Set detangler and I rode without a rear brake with no probs. I just won't be able to do much old school stuff and I suck at rear wheel stuff anyway... might as well try to learn them without a handicap (brake).

Offline flatlanderic

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 03:55:20 AM »
my new bike weighs 18 pounds , it may be too light but its really easy to ride haha

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 04:08:14 AM »
Mine is in at around 20lbs right now. If I spent 300 bucks to switch out the crankset and got titanium bolts I'd guess I could push 18lbs on a 4.8lb frame.

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 04:32:45 AM »
 I had a light bike for 2 or 3 years...now im back on a heavier one..30 lbs at least.. doesnt really bother me at all...whipping the frame around seems harder...spinning seems better...

Its weird I remember when nobody really cared about bike weight..its like a mass o.c.d has hit bmx...

katobmx

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 05:18:07 AM »
My bikes about 20-22lbs but thats w/o cranks or brakes.I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions that I could use to retain the same weight I had If I put on cranks chain sprocket etc.

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 04:53:58 PM »
Well, after swapping out the fork and stem and losing the brakes (waiting for my front brake) my bike feels WAAAAAYYYYY lighter compared to the way it was. Jeez, when I throw on those St. Martin cranks and sprocket, it's really going to be much more flickable.

BTW, that crazy Sequence Hook stem was a BITCH to install. It was very difficult to get things lined up correctly, and I even had to tap it on with a rubber mallet slightly.

Offline HeavenlyGrippingBeast

• This all hurts....even when I land right....
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 11:21:19 PM »
 I hate Brian and his feathery bikes...he set me up to die when I tried to Hang Ten on it. : )  With the exception of someone with damaged wrists like his, I think you lose the counterbalance when you go too light. Toflat recalls when weight didn't matter and I have to say that for me it didn't either. I learned on Skyways and GT pro series Tours. We rocked almost every high difficulty trick back then as we do now.  Nobody even talked about weight unless you were just so small you couldn't pull certain tricks due to lack of muscle..... Brian just wants to see me die, next week he'll ask me to McCircle his new frame with holes drilled all through it to lighten it before telling me it only weighs 15 pounds.....Peace