Author Topic: feeling pretty crappy :(  (Read 6655 times)

Offline dylan13

• Backpacker
feeling pretty crappy :(
« on: July 03, 2008, 09:49:39 PM »
As some people know if you have read my other topics I had planned on buying wheels,tubes,tires,and pegs for a bike I want to build. Well my mom got home today and I told her what I had planned on buying and told her how much it was going to cost and she thinks its stupid. She doesnt like that its $200 for wheels and how every thing else is expensive too. So now I feel like it is a waste of money and I dont know if I really want to buy the stuff now. I dont expect people feel bad for me its just that I dont know if I even want to build the bike now.

NiteCamo

Re: feeling pretty crappy :(
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:54:16 PM »
I mow lawns at $25 per cut I have 3-4 lawns to cut a week. I clean my house for my parents at $15 a week. I save up and put all the money I earn towards my bike. (Good story eh? ^_^)

So what you should do is... work and find ways to make money then go to your parents with cash in hand and they can't say no.

Offline Lokalazeros

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:13:23 PM »
That's a good thing.
your mom told you it was stupid, so all the hype dissapered, and now you are wondering if it was worth it.the real question is, Will it be worth it to put X amount of money on the bike you own (or anything else, for the matter) ?
I don't know what setup your are runing nor do I know what you are planning to get, but try to figure out in a calm and peacefull state of mind if it is worth to spend that hard earned cash this way. If you end up thinking it is worth it, go for it. if not, look for cheaper alternatives or whatnot.

I have a dilema that make me feel this way. I am wondering if I should get a motorcycle license. Still have to figure out if the joy, fun, and freedom feeling is worth the risk to be killed in the simplest, stupidest ever crash...

Anywayy. bets advice I could give is take your time to think about all that. -_-
Quote from: Tj Perry
LISTEN TO THE SOUND MY TIRES MAKE ON THE PARKING LOT JESUS CHRIST, IT'S A RUBBER HOLOCAUST
Naw.  Flatland isn't difficult.  Getting a blowjob is harder.
Party All Night, Work All Day, Have Fun Everyday !

Offline dylan13

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:28:37 PM »
well see I have $400,I already have a bike but its not a real flatland bike and it only has two pegs. I also wanted to buy an Ipod for $150 and I was thinking if I dont buy the wheels and that that I would buy new drum heads for my drumset which would be $100. Now what Im thinking is that I should just buy two more pegs for that bike,drum heads and the I pod and keep the money left over and if I really get into flatland I could save up a little more with what I had left over and by the parts then. How does that sound?

NiteCamo

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 10:32:55 PM »
How does that sound?

I think you can make that decision on your own

Offline dylan13

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 10:36:48 PM »
lol,well it sounds pretty good to me,but I atleast want to get two more pegs for the bike thats all built up so I can really ride and I think the two more pegs would make it easier to do tricks. So that might be what I will do,but Im still thinking.

Offline dylan13

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 11:56:29 PM »
or, if your just posting silly sh*t to be a dick, then stop being an asshole and find someone elses garden to piss in.
what? I wasnt joking when I made this topic. All I said was that I was going to buy wheels,tubes,tires and pegs and my mom thinks its a waste of money. Now Im going to wait on that stuff and ride the bike I have right now to see if I really even like flatland before I go and put more money into it.

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 12:20:45 AM »
I assume the $150 ipod you want is a 4GB Nano? Get a refurbished 4GB Nano instead for $99
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?sf=wHF2F2PHCCCX72KDY&nclm=Certified

I have a lot of apple gear and everything I have ever bought has been refurbished by apple. Same warranty and any problems it had were fixed by techs at Apple in the US rather than where they are made overseas. Save yourself $50.

There are lots of good parts on sale right now. Spend you money wisely. Do your research and show your mom you are spending your money in a smart and frugal way rather than being quick to spend it.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

Offline AndyL

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 12:30:37 AM »
Dude, if your parents say no, that means go.  If i'm not sure about buying something then i'll ask my dad.  "i think i might buy new shocks for my car". dad replies "that's a stupid idea, you'll catch the bottom on speed humps". Since my dad thinks it's a bad idea, me being young, that obviously means it's a good idea!  When did you ever listen to your folks?  It's good that they instill some consideration in to you about splashing cash but you only live once man!

Offline flatlandfan

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 01:38:40 AM »
Buy one thing at a time for the bike.

I wish I had everything all at once, but I gotta space it out. Can't get wheels now cause I'm workin' on a frame. Still need new brakes too but they'll have to wait! One piece at a time cause some money has to go to other stuff.

Get some new pegs (never a bad purchase), your ipod and fix your drums, then get your wheels next month or whatever. You don't need a freecoaster for flatland.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 02:10:44 AM »
Its sometimes difficult to balance things when you live with your parents, if you said you wanted to spend $400 on drums she would say the same. Its your call, but you could get the $100 Ipod, your $100 drum, two odyssey freq g tyres and two pegs to make your bike flatworthy, and still have plenty of money left over.

Thats what I would do if I were you. Four pegs and good high pressure tyres are a must for flat. Then you can still ride flat and gradually update to more flat specific parts if you feel like it. Keep an eye out for sales on online stores and snap up a bargain on globalflats marketplace here and there.

Parents like to see balance, so $50 here or there wont hit her like a ton of bricks. $300 or $400 will make her backflip.  ^_^ Good luck and remember its your call.

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 05:15:09 AM »
every time I feel crappy

I watch this video.

Small | Large

its the video that I saw on you tube to make me intrested in flatland.
and the reason im here with yall now.
verry inspiring.
Old dudes can still rip

katobmx

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 05:28:34 AM »
I have the same problem.It sucks.and its not like I use any ones money I just use my moms credit card and give her the money.Tension kinda eased up after she saw how good I was

Offline Paul Chamberlain

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 06:19:54 AM »
Listen to your heart man. I know that it hurts a little bit when your parents think that your awesome ideas are stupid.

I've been riding BMX in some form for over 10 years. I've ridden in contests in flatland and at skateparks. I've been in DVD's, shows and a movie. Do you think that my mum has ever been to any of these events or even knows what I do or what flatland is? No. She just thinks that I have wasted my time that I could have spent becoming a faceless suit. She also thought - until I got married - that I needed to see a shrink to find out why I was riding so much even though it sometimes hurts my body.

My mum spends $150 every couple of months getting her hair cut, curled and coloured by some Martti Kuoppa hairdresser. Her and her husband go out to eat a fancy dinner in London and spend $400. She's got a fancy pants Sony Vaio laptop that she has never switched on. I have cut my own hair since I was 17 and last night I made carrot soup for my wife and I at a total cost of $5. We all choose how we want to live and what we value is something very personal to us.

I'm not saying that your mum is wrong but cheap and expensive/waste and necessary are peoples opinions. Do what you want to do but ask and consider your mums opinion BEARING IN MIND THAT SHE DOESN'T NEED A FREECOASTER ON HER VACUUM CLEANER...

ps: I can hook you up with a sweet haircut for $1. We can all do something to make money. Maybe there's some riders in your area that have some second hand but perfectly good parts lying around that they will sell for cheap cheap. Go and explore. On your bike!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 06:27:41 AM by FlatPaul »

Offline Dion

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 06:26:39 AM »
Dylan,

Try gathering up old stuff from around the house that you'd think people may want and sell it on eBay. Start building up your PayPal account and pretty soon you'll have enough money for all the stuff you want. You'd be suprised how fast it builds. Best of all, flatlandfuel accepts paypal!