Author Topic: Question on Top Tube Length (new here, not newb)  (Read 5542 times)

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
Question on Top Tube Length (new here, not newb)
« on: June 25, 2008, 06:21:36 PM »
Hey all -

So stoked to have found this forum. I'm fairly old school and had taken a lay off and am getting back into things. I have a GT Show currently, and am looking for something new school. As I've been told, like alot of others, I'm eyeing the KGB Palmero. It's appeal is the dual top tube w the benefits of alot of new school engineering.

That all said, I find myself having a bit of a hard time with the shorter top tube length of the GT. I'm 5'7 - 5'8 w a lil beer gut (lol not for long) I weigh about 225. I'm a moderate flatlander so pardon the question.

If I go to do Frontyards and step over the bars (keep in mind I'm using old school GT Show bars)I have a hard time lifting my foot over to scuff the front tire. It finally dawned on me what I had changed from riding an Ozone or Master or whatever, to now. It isn't that I just grew, but the shorter tt was effing w me a lil. I know some frames come longer w 19 and up. Would I fair better w a different frame or overall do you think this is something that can be gotten used to? Thx in advance and again awesome site.

Rai //
www.MySpace.com/FarewellRadiance
I'm like the brown LL Cool J.

Offline pulsar

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Question on Top Tube Length (new here, not newb)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 01:05:10 AM »
glad you could make it back......... :beer:

while i don't care for the style, the palmero i'm sure is a nice ride. if you think you might like it, run it. as far as top tubes go, i just put together a 19" and will be taking it for a test spin tonight. my last ride was a 18.75 which i thought was perfect for me. a quarter inch shouldn't be too different i'm thinking. i will say that after riding a 18.75 i would never go smaller and i'm 5'-8"......5'-9".
though seat tube angle as well as head tube angle have a tendency to make a bike feel smaller or larger. for instance my last frame was a 76.5 degree HT 18.75 TT. had the head tube been something like 75 or 74 degrees, this would have brought the bars closer towards the seat.

anyhow..........enjoy :beer:

Offline Tweekend

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 01:22:32 AM »
I'm 6'1, and about 85kgs, with an Equilibrium frame (18.8TT).  Im nursing a dislocated knee at the moment, so I haven't ridden in 5 weeks, but i'm going to order the Travis Collier frame from FF, which is a 19.5TT and a slightly longer CS than my current frame.  I think it will suit my height better than my current one, and act as a better counter balance, too. 
At your height, however, anything 18.8 and up will suit you.  Given ur weight, though, ur going to want something with a little weight, so ur back end isn't always flinging up when doing front wheel stuff.  Thats the problem I've had with my Equilibrium.

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
    • www.myspace/richardmccoy.com
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 01:33:28 AM »
We have six footers on 18.75 and 5'8" ers on 19.1............  .!.

You will have to find your own path.
Sorry.
Schramm’s Law: “The single most important contributor to a nation’s economic growth is the number of startups that grow to a billion dollars in revenue within 20 years.”

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 04:04:34 AM »
Totally cool guys. Thanks for all the advice and sharing your experience. I can't explain it. The first time on my Show I was like did I get that fat lol? But really like my shoe clips the bars as I go to put it over so I'm guessing maybe the shorter TT might be an issue for me. ugh the search goes on lol I'll have to hit KGB up and *beg* they make a 19 something Palmero. lol for some reason single top tubes just feel weird for me to get used to having been a rider of twin top tube frames for so long. Again guys thx!

R. //

Max S

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 06:34:10 AM »
You can also get a set of bars with a really low crossbar like Sick Child Metal Years.  Give the smaller frames some time and you'll adjust.  More advantages than disadvantages IMO.

Offline Channy

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 11:12:46 AM »
I really dont see the difference sometimes. I ride a 18.8 simple, and last night i rode a 19.4 st martin class x. The st martin felt nicer to ride, but i think that was because of the swiss miss bars on it. Really though, theres f*ck all in it. I bet if every one who rode a 18.8 had there frame swapped to an identical one but in 19.4. they wouldn't even notice.
Sorry... If I make another video I will put more crashes in there so you don't feel bad.

Offline condemned bmx

• Deathtrucker
  • yo
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 11:20:11 AM »
i say when it comes to top tube length stop fanying about and just stick with 19, and if theres a frame tht u like and it only comes in 18.8 or 19.4 who gives a shlt buy it anyway
slater

Offline Channy

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 11:41:06 AM »
i say when it comes to top tube length stop fanying about and just stick with 19, and if theres a frame tht u like and it only comes in 18.8 or 19.4 who gives a shlt buy it anyway

exactly :beer:
Sorry... If I make another video I will put more crashes in there so you don't feel bad.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 01:29:01 PM »
You can also get a set of bars with a really low crossbar like Sick Child Metal Years.  Give the smaller frames some time and you'll adjust.  More advantages than disadvantages IMO.

A longer tt may help, but as silky says, a lower crossbar on your handlebars is the best solution.
Check out london bars or sick child metal years, etc.  :mellow:

Another thing is to keep your left foot on the pedal, put your right foot over the bars, and then put your left foot on the peg.

Some do it the other way, with left foot on the peg first, then right foot over. When your a youngster, this is ok, but after some retirement, this way is awkward. {I too stopped riding for awhile, 7 years}.  :rolleyes:

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 02:17:15 PM »
lol yea this is how I was doing them, left foot on pedal, rt foot over bars first. I think I'm at that point of just saying f*ck it. I've been mulling it over in my head which frames to get. Strowler, Bad Thing etc even old school Morales. I eventually came to just f*ck it. I def. plan on painting the Palmero 1st thing. Again guys thx!

A longer tt may help, but as silky says, a lower crossbar on your handlebars is the best solution.
Check out london bars or sick child metal years, etc.  :mellow:

Another thing is to keep your left foot on the pedal, put your right foot over the bars, and then put your left foot on the peg.

Some do it the other way, with left foot on the peg first, then right foot over. When your a youngster, this is ok, but after some retirement, this way is awkward. {I too stopped riding for awhile, 7 years}.  :rolleyes: