Author Topic: Make your own parts...  (Read 4306 times)

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Make your own parts...
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 11:25:38 PM »
they look good for a first attempt, but then again you have skills in welding.

Alot of people would like to do this but they dont have the skills or resources to achive it.

I know welders, but my views are that if I buy a handlebar from a company, someone else has had to run the risk of losing teeth from faulty design.

I would like to design my own stuff but its so hit and miss as to whether you can create somthing functional and sturdy, which is why I leave it to people who get paid to do that.

Not diss you bars at all tho man, they look really nice. I hope they last you along while and wish you luck for future projects!
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline Laan-daan

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 06:32:19 PM »
The re-modeling continues...

10 hours of wet & dry sanding with 3M 400,
2 coats primer, 5 coats color & a can of satin varnish.
Can't really tell the true shade in the photo,
will hopefully be going for a session on Sun. with Mizo & get a good one.

Thanks to Flo @ Kunstform for his perseverance with DHL.
Check the specials out: 2x Suelo breaks for cheapŁ$€!

Offline fritz

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 07:01:26 PM »
thats a nice lookin' bike man :wub:

Offline Dee.

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 09:03:35 PM »
Nice one m8  ;D.

As someone whos spent too many years welding and painting. The only real worry i got is the heat treatment process that the manufacturers put their products through 'after' the've been welded, especially the lite stuff, would be worth looking into. The other thing is guess its only really worth scratch building something thats different otherwise its so easy to get into reinventing the wheel territory.

Top marks tho mon. They look niiiice! :beer:  -_-

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 09:20:02 PM »
one of the benefits of heat treating is to relieve weld tension as a welder myself and im sure you can testify that even a small tack weld pulls when it cools so the process of POST HEAT TREATING IS TO HEAT THE ENTIRE PIECE TO A PREDETERMINED TEMP.LET IT ALL COOL EVENLY BY AIR OR LIQUID METHODS, SO ALL WELD TENSION IS RELIEVED EQUALLY THRU OUT THE PIECE. ;D :beer:

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 03:33:39 AM »
Looks much nicer!!  :beer:

Offline Dee.

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 02:56:38 PM »
as a welder myself and im sure you can testify that even a small tack weld pulls when it cools so the process of POST HEAT TREATING IS TO HEAT THE ENTIRE PIECE TO A PREDETERMINED TEMP.LET IT ALL COOL EVENLY BY AIR OR LIQUID METHODS, SO ALL WELD TENSION IS RELIEVED EQUALLY THRU OUT THE PIECE. ;D :beer:

Ahhh cheers for that, makes a lot o sense, ive never really needed to look into heat treatment etc doing what i do. Am aware of weld tension you describe, just up end some steel strap on a plate n tack it one side, then watch lean over as it cools! ;D.
Another thing im fuzzy on is how different materials are affected by heat treatment ie changing properties etc as well as stress relief but i really dont know. As someone already said before its possible to lose teeth if a barend snaps!! eeeek.

A tip to anyone looking to paint a sh frame thats in a bad way paintwise is get it sand blasted before you start! much easier than messing about rubbing tubes. Perfect clean base to coat it up from too. Best to use an etching primer on bare metal btw(wear a decent mask in a well ventilated area!!), visit your local paint factor and they should be able to mix a spray can for you if you got no kit.