Author Topic: Landing a Tailwhip Help  (Read 3757 times)

Offline sfelaccio

Landing a Tailwhip Help
« on: June 21, 2008, 09:01:43 PM »
Before anyone says to search for it first, I already did. I'm having trouble landing a tailwhip, I just started about 2 weeks ago and can't seem to land this. I can get the bike around easy then when I go to step on the frame I always fall back and have to put my right foot down. Any tips on landing it?

Offline flatlanderic

• Backpacker
Re: Landing a Tailwhip Help
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 09:06:58 PM »
really all you have to do is hop as high as you can and lift you legs up as high as you can and just land it anyway possible

SCOTTISHFLAT

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 10:06:24 PM »
Im guesing ur using the foot on the tyre method, either way doesnt matter dot worry about landing on the frame, when the bikes comes round just land ur feet on the ground at first keep doing that and eventally ull be landing on the pedals, some times get a freind to film u on a phne and play it bck over and over agin u mite pick up where u r going wrong, cld be summit silly u havent noticed

Offline griOt

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 11:01:56 PM »
Before anyone says to search for it first, I already did. I'm having trouble landing a tailwhip, I just started about 2 weeks ago and can't seem to land this. I can get the bike around easy then when I go to step on the frame I always fall back and have to put my right foot down. Any tips on landing it?

Press the brake when the seat passes the handlebar grip. You'll stay up longer
the few, the proud, the flatlanders

Offline Muse

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 11:07:54 PM »

Press the brake when the seat passes the handlebar grip. You'll stay up longer

Thats true, but i do it even earlier man. Like as soon as i put my foot in the tire/fork part, i hit the brake. And make sure you remember to let go of the brake before you ride away -_-

Offline TsEthan

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 04:00:02 AM »
IF you have front and read brakes i find it easyer to use both when doing a tailwhip. when the frame swings arround stick your foot out and catch it. Obvisly you have the whip down. Practice, it will come young padawon

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 10:19:05 PM »
you don't need brakes

you just have to get use to staying up there on the front tire long enough to let the frame com all the way around underneath you.  You should get it to where you are landing 1 foot on the TT and 1 foot on the pedal at the same time.  Make sure the pedal you land on is set up so when your weight lands on it, it pushes down for momentum on the rideout.

Also if you can get to where you have 1 foot on a pedal and 1 on the tt, if you feel out of control on the landing you can just kind of let the bike lay down with you still standing on it's side.  Then just regain control and pop it back up. :)

Offline sfelaccio

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 12:03:59 AM »
Thanks for all the help. Haven't landed it yet but still trying. I think my problem is I'm not staying on it long enough for it to get under me, just to like 7/8 of the way around so when I step on the bike it I end up pushing it over. Any tips or techniques to stay balanced longer?

Offline flatlandfan

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 05:37:21 AM »
7/8ths of the way is enough to land it.
I've landed them when the frame only goes around 3/4 of the way.

You just have to keep balance long enough to step on the top tube. It doesn't matter how far around the frame went. Work on your endo balance.

Which ever way you are falling when you whip it, you need to lean into it the opposite way when you kick.

You don't need brakes.
Slam your foot in the tire and kick with the other foot somewhat hard.
This is where your balance comes in. Keep balance until your foot is on the frame, drop the other foot to the pedal and ride away.

Landing a tailwhip comes easy and quick. it's landing them EVERY time that gets tricky. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 05:44:53 AM by flatlandfan »