Author Topic: super small drive train.  (Read 1364 times)

Offline 1wheelin

• Backpacker
super small drive train.
« on: June 06, 2008, 05:25:21 AM »
Back in my street/park days 9t drivers were cool but, because of the excessive torque from the small size caused the hub to self-distruct.now I'm in the market for a new drivetrain. Since ill be running 18t/9t compared to 25t/9t, I just wanna know if anyone has fried a 9t hub from this problem?

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
Re: super small drive train.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 04:14:05 PM »
Back in my street/park days 9t drivers were cool but, because of the excessive torque from the small size caused the hub to self-distruct.now I'm in the market for a new drivetrain. Since ill be running 18t/9t compared to 25t/9t, I just wanna know if anyone has fried a 9t hub from this problem?
  I run both no problems as of yet...don't ride the 25/9 much though spare bike..
Hey Meg...check this out.

Thlayli

Re: super small drive train.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 11:34:50 PM »
Truth be told, the part that the small drive train puts the most extra stress on is the chain. Obviously, we don't exert as much stress as other types of riding, so it's not as much of an issue... but that's why the BMX racers, who are even bigger weight whores than we are, still run the "normal" 44-16 type of gearing; the weight loss of using smaller sprockets and such isn't enough to offset the risk of having a chain snap at the gate, or cranking full-speed along the track.