Author Topic: TUFFNECK Rollacoaster  (Read 18836 times)

Offline azflatlander

• Backpacker
Re: TUFFNECK Rollacoaster
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 10:25:13 AM »
I want this Hub!  :beer: Lets Hope its not a leat down!

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 01:48:57 PM »
how long have you been riding it for paul.
   How often do you need to work on the hub to maintain it?
Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 10:25:55 PM »
I agree,  it sucks being let down by crappy freecoasters.

im the proud owner of 1 taska
and 4 naki's
and they all let me down in some way or another.

I killed one naki due to my in experience with cone wrenches,
but the other 3 also just blow,  and never quite work just right.

I like the idea of how this works,  but I think ill wait for more guine pigs to test it out for me.
before I go blow a wad of cash on another coaster that will let me down in the long run.
Old dudes can still rip

timk4130!

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 07:15:23 AM »
there are two new back hubs that are being tested by some individuals....i know one is a gimmik...the other looks to be promising....sorry ...cant say who...or what comp is working on what right now....but hopefully the first gimmik hub...gets a lift to a different design....anywho...take care...i think ive said enough....tim

Offline kkmk

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 08:30:36 AM »
thats one really worthwhile post...

"There are new hubs coming out. Im not allowed to talk about them..."

Phatman

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 09:09:20 PM »
G-Sport Homercoaster needs to hurry the fudge up!!!!

Budz

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 09:26:33 PM »
G-Sport Homercoaster needs to hurry the fudge up!!!!
agreed! ;D :beer:

Offline FlatismŽ

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 11:43:32 PM »
Sounds promising..If it comes with a 9t option, I'm all over it.
Flat-ism

Offline Curmudgeon

• Backpacker
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 04:18:19 AM »
Tuff Neck used to make some garbage back in the 80s. hope this holds up better than their older stuff.
howz the axle? strong? heat treated?
and how much will it cost here in the US?

diffrent tuffnek, the tuffnek in Australia (the company that made this hub) were the australian distro for the old US tuffnek back in the day, but the old crap tuffnek went under for some reason - talk to the FBI, so ECI regestered the tuffnek brand in Oz after the US brand went under, and that's the story of why this hub is labled tuffnek

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 09:20:19 PM »
This hub is well known within the bike industry. The reason you don't see it everywhere is because it does not work well at all. Plus 10T is the smallest option. There are several companies working on modifying it to work better but as it is now it is not ready for market.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

Offline Curmudgeon

• Backpacker
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 02:26:22 AM »
the feedback i'm getting on this hub is that it works well if you know how to maintain it but if you don't it is very easy to f*ck. i know of about 10 people that run them and at least three have had "issues" with them. the guy i ride with had one but for some reason took it apart and when we tried to get it to work it just wouldnt!

plus, if i wanted to hear clicking everywhere i went i'd join the Jets or the Sharks

Offline Paul Chamberlain

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 03:04:47 AM »
Jay - I haven't been riding it for very long - just a few weeks. I will let everybody know how it goes over time. I have to say that it is working way better then my KHE hubs were after four weeks though.

Yes it is an existing design - Tuffneck aren't trying to claim it. Some street riders here broke the axle but those guys are breaking the axle in every hub. We all know that if you bend or break an axle it will mess the hub up.

Ali. Judging by how badly both of your bikes are set up I wouldn't expect anything that you guys take apart to ever work again. I can't accept that after a couple of weeks of riding flatland that freecoaster would not work.

I'm not trying to sell it. It's just that that's all the info on the hub and I don't understand the workings of it well enough to explain it to all the freecoaster buffs.

Offline Paul Chamberlain

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 03:23:53 AM »
the feedback i'm getting on this hub is that it works well if you know how to maintain it but if you don't it is very easy to f*ck. i know of about 10 people that run them and at least three have had "issues" with them. the guy i ride with had one but for some reason took it apart and when we tried to get it to work it just wouldnt!

plus, if i wanted to hear clicking everywhere i went i'd join the Jets or the Sharks

There's one piece inside that causes slip if it comes loose. Basically, straight out of the factory that piece is not very tight. I lock tighted mine in place.

I took a lot of convincing to start using this hub. I don't like to change - I'm still running 48's. Anyway, these are my friends words:

"LISTEN TO ME! I've had nine freecoasters! This is the best one and all I do is 180 spines."

I'm not saying it's perfect and not claiming that in five years it will work as good as a trusty old Nankai - but it might be the best thing - and I hope it does work.

The key to all of the "issues" is that they occurred after the people took the hub apart. So the hub was working and then they took it apart and put it back together. Then it wasn't working... I'm not seeing a problem with the hub at this point in time.   

Anybody who has issues should get the hub back to ECI so that Paul can look at it. He wants to find out what they have done. A few people have called up but they don't know what happened and haven't been able to explain the problem - It's all been street riders that have wrecked to hub.

By the way - it only clicks when you pedal backwards...

Offline Paul Chamberlain

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 03:26:56 AM »
I agree,  it sucks being let down by crappy freecoasters.

im the proud owner of 1 taska
and 4 naki's
and they all let me down in some way or another.

I killed one naki due to my in experience with cone wrenches,
but the other 3 also just blow,  and never quite work just right.

I like the idea of how this works,  but I think ill wait for more guine pigs to test it out for me.
before I go blow a wad of cash on another coaster that will let me down in the long run.

I'm totally with you and I completely agree. I just want to show people what's out there at the moment. If I were you I wouldn't buy it at this point in time either.

Offline Paul Chamberlain

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 03:29:16 AM »
This hub is well known within the bike industry. The reason you don't see it everywhere is because it does not work well at all.

Pat, you're way more experienced than me in the freecoaster tech field. What do you see as being a problem with this mechanism?