Author Topic: help: painting a frame  (Read 3245 times)

Offline (B)MX_4-Ever

• Cliffhanger
help: painting a frame
« on: May 19, 2008, 07:41:57 AM »
I have only heard that spraypaint is not your friend
but I wanta paint my frame
and I was wondernig what a reasonably cheap
yet efficient way was

I am considering having it powdercoated,
but I thought I would see if any of you have ideas
or stories of what you have done

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
Re: help: painting a frame
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 07:58:27 AM »
if your stuck at home with only your garage tools -
you can prep your frame to be painted -
and it should cost way less at a shop..$

spraypaint is what I use - and it scuffs off real eazy.
powder coat is where its at...$$$

there are chemical strippers out. ( search out air craft stripper ) they are nasty horrible chemicals that eat paint  - and turn it to mush - that can be easily brushed off of a bike frame.   it makes a nasty jelly like paste of the old paint and must be disposed of properly,,,
like not in your daily garbage bags for the city.   thats a biohazard no no.

if you feel like it - give it a try.   I have used it on a fiew hotwheels cars I customized.
read the directions and you shold be good.

if not then sanding off the old paint is also a must if you want the new paint to stick and not chip off real eazy.   sanding sucks.     media blasting would be soo much better.  ( like crushed walnut shells or baking soda ) - not sand blasting tho - that will eat away the metal a little bit and may cause frame brakage.

im about sick of having my bikes all look like crap slapped together,
so im going to set up my secondary bike to ride - and strip down my main bike to parts to have powdercoated.     I plan on doing as much prep work myself as I can to save cash.
will post pix when I get it going on. 
Old dudes can still rip

Offline lJohnnyTheFoxl

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 08:22:14 AM »
I spray-painted my handlebars, and it worked out fine.  A professional job will definitely look nicer, though.  You might at least want to get the paint stripped at shop, because otherwise, like brian said, you'll end up with a pile of green carcinogenic goo in your garage.  I don't think there's really an advantage to sanding off the paint, it'll just take way way more time.

Offline condemned bmx

• Deathtrucker
  • yo
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 09:01:28 AM »
stuff powder coating way to expecive, just use spray paint but do it well lots os coats n stuff
slater

Offline Gold

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 11:36:48 AM »
IMO Powder coat it and have it done once but right.

Frame, Bars, Cranks Arms, Fork and seat post should only cost you 100$

Plus the finish is brilliant and more durable. Otherwise you should sandblast or strip the paint. Primer the parts, then coat them and clear coat them twice or three times. Painting is an exact science just like anything else and results will vary with experience and knowledge.That will save you money but trust me on this and get it powdercoated, you won't regret it. Here is a picture of a motor I had coated.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 11:39:51 AM by Gold »
-GOLD

Thlayli

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 08:09:34 PM »
when I was younger and actually did this stuff (spray paint my frames), I never used paint remover at all. I used sandpaper.

This is not a good idea, unless you have a lot of time and patience. Or one of those little mouse power sanders. But it does eliminate the problem of having to call in a hazmat team.

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 09:21:10 PM »
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=30972

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40925

cheap blaster
and cheap blasting material.
if done right the left over material can be collected on a large sheet of plastic and re used.

harbor freight is the low end of tools.   cheap is their game.
if you want to - check the link to see what crap they offer for mini blasting guns and stuff.
under $25  could get you striping that frame eazy.
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?catPath=All%2BProducts%252F%252F%252F%252FUserSearch%253Dblast&currentPage=2&lastPage=2&isNext=false&isPrevious=false&category=&attributeValue=&attributeName=&requestedPage=1&resultsPerPage=50&resultsPerPageBottom=50
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 09:32:25 PM by brian84corvette »
Old dudes can still rip

Thlayli

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 11:07:26 PM »
dude, if you put that link into a tag, it won't be breaking the tables for the forum.

edit it as [ url = http://yourhugeunweildyurlhere ] Descriptive text of link [ / url ] except without the extra spaces I put in there, and it'll look right.

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 06:46:48 PM »
 I think the problem with spraypaint is it doesnt stick to the bare metal all that great..even if you use primer...
if you use the factory finish,just rough it up with 400 grit,scrub it clean spraypaint sticks good to that..i painted a frame with some duplicolor engine paint and it held up great..

of course its not like powdercoat.. but its not like the sh*tty scrape it off with your fingernail paint job that spraypaint is known for..
i even scraped it up with a penny and it didnt take the paint off..it was a great paintjob for the 15$ it cost

LOU4130

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 11:16:41 PM »
yea as lot of you know, ive been painting bikes for years, but alas, even I have given it up. You can get a semi durable finish from certain paints, but all in all,
like was said before, nothing will beat a good powdercoat. I offered to paint frames at one point, but to charge for the supplies and labor, it cost just shy of having it powder coated
To do it yourself, sureit will be chaeper, but you'd prolly have to re do it in a month if you ride regularly. So coming from a bike painter of many years, id say go with the powder coat
and do it right, it will last eons longer and look way better!

i myself may have my frame re-powdered over the winter, but we shall see.

GOLD, what color would that be on that engine you powdered? That is exactly the blue id want if i decide to go blue , if i decide to powder my frame, lol , over the winter.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 11:19:17 PM by LOU4130 »

Offline Gold

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 12:28:19 PM »
Lou4130 is def. right about powdering it, and doing it right the 1st time around for a long lasting amazing finish.

The color is not blue, it just looks that way in the picture since it was dark in the garage, its a translucent purple.

Here is a pic before I took the motor out

-GOLD

timk4130!

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 04:29:35 AM »
so sorry to say...but most of you are wrong...rattle can paint can work when applied in the right atmosphere and tecnique...allthough there are several ways to strip any part of metal..or even plactic...there isnt one over another...powdercoating will last alot longer because of the chemical reaction it has to adhere to any surface...i painted cars for well over twelve years...so if you run into any problems just shoot me a p.m. and ill do my best to help you out with your painting prodject....there truely is no need to have a show quality finish on any part that we will abuse one way or another in a few riding days...allthough you want the part to have a good cosmetic finish! good luck again with your prodject...and hope it turns out well...take care....tim

Offline misterpola

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 04:42:45 AM »
i painted my frame and bars with spray.. then spray glaze..
up to now i had no problems.. it only gets damaged if you hit the frame with something hard..