Author Topic: New KHE Stem: Minimalism  (Read 9310 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
New KHE Stem: Minimalism
« on: July 14, 2006, 05:22:57 PM »

At last years Eurobike KHE presented a new stem. Now they have a new prototype of this stem called Minimalism. It does not have minimal offset like the flat26 stem, because the screws were moved between the forkshaft and the handlebar. So it offers more space behind the stem instead of the minimal offset. More information are available here and at khebikes.com

At the beginning of the week agoride published some information about the prices of the KHE R.I.P. frame, Tantra frame and the Swissmiss handlebar.
R.I.P. frame: 360€
Tantra frame: 360€
Swissmiss handlebar: 90€

Offline Milenko2121

• GF Inhabitant
  • "Girls come and go, but bikes are forever"
Re: New KHE Stem: Minimalism
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 06:37:36 PM »
whens the minimalism coming out?
"Sometimes You Just Need To Do Something... Different"

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 09:08:29 PM »
i will stick w/  my odd format- i might even try to pick up a extra 1  from pat for shure!!!!

tim

rully

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 03:31:40 AM »
i never really like the idea of clamping system behind the bar like this or ryal's. the thing is... when you tighten the steerer tube clamp, the front end of the stem will be un parrallel with the bars. thus making a chance of stripping bigger. hmm get it? my english is sh*t

blindingsun

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 05:42:06 PM »
This stem could work,. but the Bolts that hold the clamps at the front of the stem would have to be "floating", that is to say, they would have to have a certain amount of play in them when slack so they would remain parallel when tightened. its been done by mountain bike companies i believe.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 04:14:47 PM »
This stem could work,. but the Bolts that hold the clamps at the front of the stem would have to be "floating", that is to say, they would have to have a certain amount of play in them when slack so they would remain parallel when tightened. its been done by mountain bike companies i believe.

interesting thought, but I dont see how floating front bolts would resolve the main problem that is the section were the bars fit in will never be 100% parallel with the bars. By placing the clamping bolts on the front, when you tighten them the front of the stem will "bend" in a inward V. The bars can never fit in 100% parallel. It's not the best design.

rully

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 05:40:50 AM »
^^^ exactly my thought

Offline jim

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 04:38:54 AM »
it seems there WOULD have to be play in the bolt, this is true, yet the part could be designed to be UNparallel before tightening, once tightened, parallel. did that make sense?

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 11:43:09 AM »
it seems there WOULD have to be play in the bolt, this is true, yet the part could be designed to be UNparallel before tightening, once tightened, parallel. did that make sense?
hum, imagine this, you have the bars on and the stem on and you want to remove the stem without removing or losening the bars, how is that going to work???

planck

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 03:40:18 PM »
hum, imagine this, you have the bars on and the stem on and you want to remove the stem without removing or losening the bars, how is that going to work???

I'd guess it won't, is the short answer. However if I want to remove my Bizhouse stem I have a similar problem, and that hasn't stopped the Dialyser from being a successful and much-praised stem :wink:

Ultimately, this stem is about trade-offs - good -vs- bad. Some will love it whilst  others will ridicule it. Such is life.

Si.