Author Topic: headset problems  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Ras Trent

• Backpacker
headset problems
« on: May 16, 2008, 03:00:24 AM »
My headset started to spin slower than it should a while ago.  If I loosen just a little it'll wobble. I've cleaned it out and put it back together and it still keeps doing this. Dunno what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I'm greasing the wrong part or something. I'm a little worried caused last time this happened my headset fell apart.  Also in the bottom portion this thin metal washer thing fell of slightly exposing the bearings, I don't think it's the issue though cause it was slow before that happened.

It's a Fuel Integrated headset, Fly Simple frame, stock Haro fork and stem.

LOU4130

Re: headset problems
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 03:08:23 AM »
hm, the thin metal washer thing, from what it sounds like, is the lower bearing race. That could be the problem right there. It may have cracked and thats why you were having that problem, and eventually it just fell off. you NEED to have that there or you will just mangle your bearing and possibly the headtube and/or fork. Id get that fixed up ASAP!

NiteCamo

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 03:40:44 AM »
hm, the thin metal washer thing, from what it sounds like, is the lower bearing race. That could be the problem right there. It may have cracked and thats why you were having that problem, and eventually it just fell off. you NEED to have that there or you will just mangle your bearing and possibly the headtube and/or fork. Id get that fixed up ASAP!

Wait... Where does that go? Under the bottom piece or above it? Mine got destroyed so I took it out and i'm experiencing a similar problem.

What is the correct name for it?

Offline Ras Trent

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 03:59:37 AM »
It's in the bottom of the bottom piece. It's not actually a washer, I don't really know what to call it. It's an extremely thin piece of metal which is covering it up. I don't think it really has much use other than preventing dirt & dust from entering as it is so thin. I'll try to get a picture of it and the exposed lower piece tomorrow.

LOU4130

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 06:11:16 AM »
Kevin, the piece i speak of, is called the "fork race", it goes under your lower bearing between the fork and the bearing. Its the piece that slides over the fork before you put it through the headtube. The lower bearing would rest on it once assembled.

Nikita- Ok, i may be talking about another part then. there sometimes is a thin ring, usually plastic that goes around the edge of the part i mentioned above, to keep the dirt out.BUT if thats not what your talking about,then it may be the race like i originally thought.

The one in the Fuel integrated is silver. Its flat, with a slight cone shape to the middle of it. the hole is the same size as a spacer for your stem.

The plastic dust cover, which i dont recall the Fuel integrated having, would be a much larger hole and a thin ring.