Author Topic: I have a little dilemma...  (Read 6262 times)

Offline -JOE-

I have a little dilemma...
« on: May 02, 2008, 02:33:27 AM »
Ok, I love to ride bike. I have had a few bikes over the years but now I want something better. I have had 2 Mongooses both about $250, and a Diamondback that was about $300. None of them are enjoyable to ride. The brakes suck, and are all roughly 40lbs.

Here is my situation. I live in the country and have a big gravel lane, it is hard packed but there are still marble sized rocks everywhere. I don't like to jump but I like to wheelie, stoppie, and bunnyhop. I have now started trying some flatland tricks and it is very fun. But I am not sure if I should get a 100% flatland bike because they are not well suited for bunnyhops, wheelies, and fast riding?

What are you opinions on my situation? I am looking at either a DK Signal or a decent street bike.

blindingsun

Re: I have a little dilemma...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 02:36:56 AM »
find yourself somewhere close ish. and get a proper flatland bike

you know you wana!!!

DK ftw

Offline 1wheelin

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 02:48:38 AM »
Save your money and build a platform out of plywood and 2x4's. You live in the country... I'm sure there's somewhere to put it? As for wheelies, you have a driveway. Now get a flatbike

Offline -JOE-

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 02:55:34 AM »
But what if I just want to ride around? All I really care about is whether or not I am going to be "eating" my knees, because I have heard they are extremely short. I would also like to know if flatland bikes are safe over 20mph?

Offline 1wheelin

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 03:00:23 AM »
Dude...I'm 6'2 my frame is 18.9 and the city I live in is all hills. I keep up with traffic.. And my knees are fine, well better then when I rode street. Your shins are another story missing the pedal isn't all that fun.

Offline dylan13

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 03:04:43 AM »
Dude...I'm 6'2 my frame is 18.9 and the city I live in is all hills. I keep up with traffic.. And my knees are fine, well better then when I rode street. Your shins are another story missing the pedal isn't all that fun.
oh yeah, it really sucks when you hit part of the pedal and it spins around fast  :P

Offline 1wheelin

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 03:15:24 AM »
Its not fun... But anyway, ifi was youiwould get a dk signal. Hands down

Offline dylan13

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 03:18:29 AM »
yeah I heard that those were good bikes, but I didnt get it and right now Im stuck with a 37 lb street bike  ^_^

NiteCamo

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 03:22:44 AM »
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOONOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT GET A DK SIGNAL!!!!!!

Seriously my friend got one and well I mean it's a good bike and all but you're gonna NEED to upgrade it sooner or later and It'll end up costin alot

So i'd suggest getting a WTP Metric or OG Balance 3. I started with a WTP Metric you can still bunny hop and 180 or 360 and it won't break or weaken at all.

Get a Metric!!!!

Offline -JOE-

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 04:26:53 AM »
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOONOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT GET A DK SIGNAL!!!!!!

Seriously my friend got one and well I mean it's a good bike and all but you're gonna NEED to upgrade it sooner or later and It'll end up costin alot

So i'd suggest getting a WTP Metric or OG Balance 3. I started with a WTP Metric you can still bunny hop and 180 or 360 and it won't break or weaken at all.

Get a Metric!!!!

You have to remember I am coming from a few wal-mart specials, so any bike is probably going to feel like a mercedes. lol

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 07:03:20 AM »
if you end up getting a bike that feels a little bit short,
you could always get a "laid back" seat post to move the
seat rearwards a little bit.
I did that on my bike.  and it helps the knees from not smacking the stem.
Old dudes can still rip

Offline Sagaris

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 08:54:48 AM »
I seriously recommend getting a DK Signal, I've had one for 4 years nearly (new bars and wheels) and it's been great, even though now I want a change.

And of course you're going to upgrade it, whichever bike you first buy, you're gonna buy new parts for it anyway, the DK Signal frame has been so durable, I could probably ride it for another two years if I wanted. Same goes for the forks.

However, the one piece cranks broke in about two years on mine, but I just use some Street ones from an old Hoffman.

Referring to KevinL, if you don't wan't to spend alot of money upgrading your BMX, which eventually WILL happen, dont buy a BMX in the first place. :P

It's an expensive sport.

Offline -JOE-

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 01:57:44 PM »
Can I use a flatland bike for just everyday riding? My only thing is, I haven't ever rode on a flatland bike so I have no idea how they feel.

Offline 1wheelin

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 02:00:56 PM »
Dude, its just a bike...you buy it and get use to it.

Offline -JOE-

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 02:08:47 PM »
Dude, its just a bike...you buy it and get use to it.

I know, but I don't want the thing breaking on me. Aren't flatland bikes weaker than street/dirt bikes, because flatland bikes are made for staying in one spot and spinning the bike around and stuff?