Author Topic: hey im a newbie  (Read 3271 times)

Offline korey_777

hey im a newbie
« on: April 23, 2008, 03:42:54 AM »
hey guys i just joined this forum and thought it would only be fair to introduce myself.  have been interested in flatlanding for a few years now. i  longboard/snowboard. only got the chance and money for biking  recently! based on the reading i've done it looks like im leaning towards the DK signal. but first im gona go to a local bmx shop and talk to the mechanics there. wish me luck!

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
Re: hey im a newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 04:02:28 AM »
Just a heads up; the people at the bike shop probably haven't even heard of flatland, and definitely don't know what a freecoaster is.

Offline korey_777

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 04:11:38 AM »
i was sort of skeptical about asking them to. i work at a skateshop and half the people i work with don't have a clue what there doing.

i found a small local bmx shop thats  run by some guy who owns 2 shops and does work for pro riders. i had a chance to talk to him on the phone, seemed pretty legit but i guess i won't know until i go. thanks for the heads up

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 04:32:29 AM »
im not saying dont support your local bike shop - with out them you may find your self in a pinch with no way out -   but you can also check out
www.flatlandfuel.com
super cool site - only carries the good stuff for flatlanding.   no bs there.

you should fill out your profile info -  like where you live and put your self on the member map  -   that way you can maby find local flatland ppl to check out.
see what's up with the scene in your area. - maby test out a fiew diffrent bikes other ppl ride  and see what feels good.

I just figured out that I like 0 offset forks and 26mm reach stem alot better than my old carp.
Old dudes can still rip

Offline korey_777

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 04:36:18 AM »
i found a guy offering a DK cleveland 06 for 250 CAD. now im just starting out and i heard starting flatland can be done on any bike. what do you guys think?

Offline Selected

• Hitchhiker
  • "I used to be an English major."
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 01:35:48 AM »
Yep - you can learn flatland on any bike with four pegs and a front brake. I don't know what kind of DK you're talking about, but for $25o you might be able to score a sweet deal off eBay. I got back into flatland with $25o. I bought a Ares Force with great flatland parts.

Start by learning a peg wheelie, backwards steam roller, squeaker, mCcircle, g-turn and learn how to get into and out of these tricks. You can learn all of these basics on any bike.

I actually noticed that riders who start with mediocre bikes seem to stick with riding and progress faster than people who start riding with Quamens... It might be because a Quamen with zero-offset requires intensive balance that a beginner won't have. I think it also has to do with not being spoiled and not blaming the bike for hard falls. Just my opinion...

So my final advice is to check the sales forum on this site and eBay for a great deal. $25o will get you a nice ride. Take advantage of the people who quit and sell their bikes. Ha.
Welcome to the truth of flatland. (Wilkes-Barre, Pa - Represent)

Offline Selected

• Hitchhiker
  • "I used to be an English major."
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 01:49:05 AM »
PS: the Dk Signal is a very nice bike to start with... I don't anything about the other Dk you mentioned.
Welcome to the truth of flatland. (Wilkes-Barre, Pa - Represent)