Author Topic: elusion dvd  (Read 13848 times)

Offline bhaverchuck

• Deathtrucker
elusion dvd
« on: April 19, 2008, 05:56:15 AM »
anyone seen this yet?

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
Re: elusion dvd
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 06:46:25 AM »
I saw it during the screening. I liked it, I enjoyed the fact that a lot of the North American riders I've seen in the video I've personally met and usually ride with. Its a nice little momento. And for Day Smiths 1 knee glide..its probably worth it. But if your dissapointed with short movies, steer clear. The sound track isnt bad either.

Offline brigade4130

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 01:17:51 PM »
I have the video. There is some awesome riding in it. I do love Day Smiths, knee in the bars nothing hang five thingy <lol> I don't know what it's called. Still, nothing I have never seen him do.  The video is good quality, but so are others. The music is well... Matilda the composer does a good job at what she does. However, I could care less for these wanta be artsy fartsy type vids. This is just me and my opinion guys. The video is extremelly short. I didn't realize how long it was before I ordered it when Pat first got them in. The shortness of the video sucks big time. You only see each rider pull one or two links or tricks. I wanted to see Day Smith more than twice among others. The sound track I will never listen to. I like classical and composed music and Matilda does a fairly good job. Again, as far as bike vid goes. I dont' want the artsy fartsy crap at all. This vid does not motivate to ride. Even if I could ride right now.  If I want arsty fartsy I will head to the country club plaza for dinner then to the lyric opera house afterwards in KC. 

I think there is way to much hype with this video and nobody is saying much about it after it's release. Well, for the screnings at different events and it's probably good for that. After all it is very short. Hyped as a future document of myths and legends for future generations?  I highly doubt this will be the video that future generations look back to.  Is it a good video? yes on some points. Is it made well? yes, but I hate the music. The music is good for other things, but it doesn't do it for me in a bike video. Does it really document anything? nope!  it doesn't even tell you who's who when their riding. If you were a future genteration rider you would learn nothing about the riders in this vid and there are better vids to look back on for just looking at riding. Is the riding good? yes and no. There are some things that are really cool, but only seeing that rider very breifly once or twice sucks. Is is worth the 20 dollars? Not even close!!!  If it were double the length in time then the money spent would have been worth it. Even then, it would still be a video I would only watch a couple of times.  If you want this video I will sell it to you for ten dollars. Also, the bonus sections are just viewing the video with commentary over it and it's super lame. Again as a "so called" documentry it would have been nice for them to talk a little about the riders along with what it took to shoot it. Instead they just talk about the shot, how they seem to like each and every shot as their favorite and seemed to spend half the time on how hard it was to get the coloring right and that type of crap. Thats nice to hear and all, but what about the riders? Nothing! Nothing! Nothing!!!  The deleted scenes were dump and nothing special at all. <lol> there was no music for it even. Then if you just really dig the soundtrack you can listen to Matilda's commentary about her music over the vid. That was even more boring than the commentary over the vid by Tex and herself.

She needs to pimp her soundtrack at starbucks or Barnes And Noble and she may do ok. Still I don't think she actually plays the instruments in her music and used a computer to compose everything by sound bites. I could be wrong, but from the way she speaks of her music is what it seems to me.

All in all, I just don't care for this video much at all. There are so many cons that out weigh the pros. I still think many of you guys may like it, but after that first night of watching it. I doubt if I will ever put in my player again.
Ramps are rad and skateparks are scary, but flatland freestyle redefines the term "insane"

Harold "Mcgoo" McGruther - 1986 RadTV The Sequel

Offline Flatpanda

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 02:54:22 PM »
"Day Smiths 1 knee glide"

Cool. There was a pic of this about 2 years ago in rideUK, (it's on my bedroom wall)
Can't wait to see it rolling

louisflat

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 04:10:25 AM »
i just want to see ross smith bust out.

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 04:25:11 AM »
Unfortunately when I talked to Tex about why the film was so short, the fact that it was short made it easier for regular people to watch. It wasn't made for the general flatland knowledgable viewer to watch, it was made for the common folk to gather round the old tube tv, and watch as outsiders and have their attention gripped to what was going on. Thus- no names, no talking, no long link after link of the same rider, just every different rider in North America doing one link. I'm not defending it, I'm just stating what was said. Even though I myself liked the movie to begin with which is why I bought it, now its going on my mp3 player to watch on the train and such.

louisflat

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 04:37:15 AM »
anyone know anything about ross smith in the video?

Offline williamflat

• Backpacker
  • Williamflat
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 04:55:42 AM »

i have one ....nice production

good riders
Face your fears and live your dreams

www.facebook.com/williflat

louisflat

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 02:55:26 PM »
i heard it comes with a second disc. anyone know anything about it?

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 03:03:21 PM »
second disc is the soundtrack. the first disc has bonus features that include a bit of unused footage (With no music or sound which is stupid) and commentary.

louisflat

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 03:29:24 PM »
oh damn. so is thing even worth getting?

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 07:49:06 PM »
it was ok

to be honest, with all the hype it had I was a little dissapointed.

I enjoy watching back wheel more and not really the type of back wheel that is seen on this dvd.  I dunno, I guess I just like japanese style riding more than american.

And I thought the soundtrack would be something upbeat that I could actualy ride to but when watching the vid all the audio just seemed very mellow.

And being that I don't follow riders closely 3/4 of the riders I saw on there, I had no idea who I was watching without any names listed.  Could someone lists the riders names in the order that they appear on the vid so I can get a clue?

Offline Fat Tony

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 07:54:30 PM »
Got my copy in today. I'm going to review it for the magazine... Looking forward to watching it.
-fat

Offline ToneBone

• Hitchhiker
  • Lion in Zion
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 03:35:34 PM »
I liked it a lot probably because it was such a departure from the vids previous (although I'm a big fan of the OG vids).
I do echo the same issues posted here in regards to length and content but why have vids that are all the same style/format?...well, the shortness was a bummer..period.
All in all I thought it was a well-made, unique production with a creative instramental soundtrack that kept me wanting more after the 15 or so mins.
Bravo!
Ride in the Wind

Offline ColinSmith

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 05:33:56 PM »
My copy is still on the way here.

In theory I am really looking forward to the different productions style, mix of riders and just a fresh type of video in general...... we'll see how it works out in practice  :P

From what I have read about the production though, you have no idea how much extra effort Tex put in, and just for that, I was always going to buy it.