Author Topic: Old schooler, bought a KHE Tantra frame to build - opinions on parts needed  (Read 5916 times)

Offline oldstreetthrasher

• Funky Chicken
Ok, so I'm an old school flatlander that ended up moving into street and park riding but I haven't forgotten my roots. I can still hop on a bike and pull cross footed whiplashes first try as well as double fire hydrants to decades, so I'm not completely hopeless. Been toying with building a custom flatland bike for awhile now since everything I have found for stock bikes is too heavy and has really crappy components on it. Found this site while searching around on flatlandfuel and was surprised to find a link to a KHE Tantra for only $179 so I jumped on that as I love the way the frame is designed. So now I need to build the rest of it up but I'm trying to keep the price around $1000 or less if I can help it. Any advice on what parts to use? I'm thinking of getting St. Martin Champagne forks since I can run them with a slight bit of offset - I'm not into the whole zero offset setups as I'm still used to old school bikes, although I did ride a Haro Master M6 for awhile and got used to the minimal offset on it. I'll also be running brakes front and rear and they will definitely be Ody Evo IIs since those seem to be the best bang for the buck. Crankwise, I'm digging the Sputnik cranks but I don't know much about them, so advice there would be appreciated. Any other help would be great!

Offline williamflat

• Backpacker
  • Williamflat

og vadja is a good fork too

160 crank

plastic pedal

magnesium pegs

etc
Face your fears and live your dreams

www.facebook.com/williflat

Offline Andy Marsh(Mallow)

• Backpacker
I've also ordered the Tantra for $160. 

I did some searching around the forum and found that since the chainstays are only 12", the pedals are in the way for large-footed people when on the rear pegs.  I've heard that a 145mm crank would be better for foot clearance on this frame.  I have not built mine up yet, but that's what I've heard. 

I like Sequence pegs myself. 

What I would do, (and have been doing) is checking out other posts on "post your bikes," or "post you KHE" for other ideas on popular setups, then go search flatlandfuel for the parts you see and evaluate their specs to your personal needs to make a decision.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 05:59:19 AM by RobinsonSST »
being small has it's advantages... :mellow:

NoSweatShop.com" BORDER="0

Offline lJohnnyTheFoxl

• Cliffhanger
KHE freecoasters are great + low maintenance.

Sputnik cranks look nice but I've never heard a thing about them, and I doubt that many people have.  I want to say they don't look so hot, but you should ask flatlandfuel about them before judging though, they could be great, and FF will be honest and cool about it.  Tried + true + LIGHT cranks are Profiles w/ titanium spindle and KHE Hindenburg.

I have the Suelo fork + handlebar and I recommend them, they're LIGHT and pretty tough.

KGB Rhythm grips are amazing, harder than most grips but not too hard, grips your hand like glue, no gimmicky designs to wear away.

plastic pedals rule, the brands aren't too different

g-man

whatever is on sale at flatland fuel

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Im sorry to say this, but the tantra is not a very good choice for an "oldschool" rider.
The short rear end will need getting used to...
You also have to use short cranks, 160mm or under.
Good luck on your bike and have fun!

Phatman

145 or under on the cranks. Backend is MEGA short i have one in my room.

Offline oldstreetthrasher

• Funky Chicken
My Master M6 had a short rearend and it wasn't too hard to get used to. I may be old school, but I'd like to learn newer tricks and having a short rear seems to be the way to go. I definitely will take the advice on the crank length though. Seems reasonable that a shorter crank would give more room on the rear pegs as well as knocking off some weight.

Phatman

Seriously if you have a size 10 shoe or above. you REALLY need to look into 145mm or shorter crank arms.. My friends going with 125mm Ares Ill Blends.

Phatman

There you go :) with Your Tantra Frame thats one fully decked out bike.

St Martin Champagne 2 Fork
Quamen I-Set Headset
Sequence Hook Stem
Sequence Xan Bars
Odyssey Monolever - Nokon - St Martin F.Brake
Odyssey M2 & Uppers - GTX-R - SST Deep V Lower Cables - Superstar R.Brake
Animal Edwin Grips - Odyssey Par Ends
Macneil Flatland O.G - Macneil 330 Post
KHE Minimalism Chain
Ares 18t Peace Ring Sprocket
Ares Ill Blend S 125mm Cranks
Odyssey Twisted P.C Pedals
Odyssey Frequency G Plyte Tyres
Presta Valve Inner Tubes
Sun Rhynolite XL Rims
G-Sport Marmoset with 17mm 3/8ths Bolts
Nankai Techno Lite 9t/Profile Alloy Shell/ London Ti Axle/Quamen Decoration Cap/Eastern Alloy Axle Nuts
Tree Alloy Flatland Pegs All Round..
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 10:02:11 PM by Phatman »

Offline CeltWolf13

I've also ordered the Tantra for $160. 

I did some searching around the forum and found that since the chainstays are only 12", the pedals are in the way for large-footed people when on the rear pegs.  I've heard that a 145mm crank would be better for foot clearance on this frame.  I have not built mine up yet, but that's what I've heard. 

I like Sequence pegs myself. 

What I would do, (and have been doing) is checking out other posts on "post your bikes," or "post you KHE" for other ideas on popular setups, then go search flatlandfuel for the parts you see and evaluate their specs to your personal needs to make a decision.

where did you pick up your frame?

Offline Matt Hulgan

• Backpacker
In my opinion there are things that are worth spending a little extra on and things you can get away with being skimpy with.

Here are some items you probably don't need to spend extra on.  Consider the Sale page at FF too:
1) Seatpost clamp
2) Headset
3) Bottom Bracket
4) brake cables (Odyssey slicks are cheap and super)
5) Chain
6) Bar Ends
7) tubes
8) Sprocket
9) pedals
10 Detanglers

Items I think are worth spending extra on are:
1) Wheels (especially the freecoaster)
2) Brake Pads
3) Handlebars
4) Seat
5) Grips
6) Tires

Here are a few more things to think about:

• There's no big need to buy chain tensioners at all so that can save $20-$30 there.

• Brakes are iffy.  I like having nice ones but if you compare a $19 dia-comp brake with a $70 Revenge brake you won't see that much of an increase in value.

Offline Andy Marsh(Mallow)

• Backpacker
where did you pick up your frame?

AEbikes.com, but they raised the price back up to $250 a few days after I ordered it...
being small has it's advantages... :mellow:

NoSweatShop.com" BORDER="0

Max S

Buy this and sell the frame.  You'll recoup your $200 to bring you back to your $1000 limit and you will have a REALLY light top notch bike.  I know that you said that you want to stay away from zero offset forks, but if you think about it they really make sense.  We spend a lot of time on both sides of the bars/forks so why not have it feel/ride the same.  You can easily get most of your money back out of the forks if you don't like them.  Come out of the dark and embrace the new skool!  Flatland has progressed to predominantly zero forks for a reason.:beer:Just my 2cents.

http://www.flatlandfuel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1123

Offline jason_21218

• Backpacker
Im an old schooler who just did the same thing

Heres the stuff I've gotten, and my bike is 23 lbs!

OG bars
New Quamen stem
OG forks (just go zero offset, it really is the way to go-it's totally cool)
Plegs,  FF will give you grip tape

Just get some profile cranks upgrade to ti spindle if you can
KGB pedals

I'll disagree with you on one thing, which is that you should get 990's for the front. They are far superior to Evovlers, and cheaper, and you really should lose all old school cred if you don't run a 990 on the front at least!

As for wheels, get those Geishas FF has, they look sweet.
KHE kevlar tires, VERY light and nice

Pivotal seat/post combo

That setup will give you a really light, kick arse bike, have fun!