Poll

What is it?

Changing grips
Cranks
Taking apart hub
Changing tires
Tweakin brakes

Author Topic: Most loathed part of bike work?  (Read 10298 times)

Offline lJohnnyTheFoxl

• Cliffhanger
Most loathed part of bike work?
« on: February 20, 2008, 05:39:44 AM »
what do you think?

Man I spent about 2 hours hammering my cranks on and another 2 later on trying to get them off.  Then I spend $30 total on a Profile crank tool and a Park Tool crank puller and now screwing around with them is so easy it's almost fun.

Offline stvnlpsly

• GF Inhabitant
  • Quest BMX
    • Quest BMX
Re: Most loathed part of bike work?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 06:21:48 AM »
I hate changing tires.  I think the biggest thing is having the proper tools.  Like you said, you couldnt get your cranks off or on and then you got the right tool and it was easy.  I voted tires...but as I write this I am reconsidering.  Tires aren't hard to change, I just don't have a plastic tire lever (metal jacks black rims up).  Brakes can be a pain and there is no tool for fine tuning brakes.  I voted tires in the poll but change my verbal vote to brakes!!

Offline Todd Loves Curry

• Team
  • Backpacker
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!!!
    • Flatland Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 06:25:13 AM »
I havn't got a problem with any of it. Its always a piece of piss.

I voted hub, because its the most messy, and time consuming. But I dont loathe it at all.

Offline Norky

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 07:08:21 AM »
I went taking hub apart, because when i tried it with my cassette, i lost 1/2 of the bearings...
it was gay.. now my wheel's getting repaired.

Offline Rob Shaw

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 07:08:47 AM »
I don't really like the thought of taking apart my hub, but once I get into it it's really not that bad, especially now that know all the tricks and techniques of taking apart the forsaken geisha. I also don't like changing tires. It's not getting tire off that bothers me, I have the tools for that, it's trying to get the wheel back exactly where i had it before that's annoying.

Offline HeadHoncho

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 07:47:23 AM »
Tough one.

Grips are usually a struggle, especially since I dry wrestle them on. No water, I hate throttle grip and I'm not patient enough to wait a to go riding. As much as I don't like to do them tho, I must be good, cause it never seems to take me too long.

Brakes are similar. I hate doing them, but eventually I can get em perfect. I ride brakeless in flatland for now so no worries there.

Tires can be a pain, but I find it alot easier if you get a set of those tire levers. I like the plastic ones because they dont beat up rims.

I don't mind doing hubs, they're abit intimidating at first when you don't know what your doing. I just keep track of where everything goes and make sure its all properly greased before it goes back together.

I voted for cranks. I hate getting them on and set up, I hate even more, trying to take them off. I don't work on them enough to have a tool but next time I have to, I'll prolly just buy one.

I'd also like to add Wheel Trueing. I true my own wheels and even tho I'm really good at it, I just don't look forward to truing them. It takes so long to get them perfect, but I can't bring myself to pay a shop to do it, since I'm perfectly capable. One of these days I'm going to either buy a cheap stand if I can find one, or make one myself, which should make things slightly easier.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 07:50:14 AM by HeadHoncho »

Offline Rob Shaw

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 08:14:41 AM »
Luckily I have access to a trueing stand so straightening my rim isn't a big deal ;D

Offline Axlepeg

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 11:28:14 AM »
I did't vote cuz 're-lacing' wheels wasn't there.

It's a pain in the butt but I can usually get a pretty gratifying feeling from a job well done.

Hubs are definately messier, but it's more of a tinkering-type-thing than tedious, for me anyway.

Offline flatlandfool

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 12:10:10 PM »
changing my broken freecoaster axle with no good tools to tighten it after... :angry:

timk4130!

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 12:21:21 PM »
Tough one.

Grips are usually a struggle, especially since I dry wrestle them on. No water, I hate throttle grip and I'm not patient enough to wait a to go riding. As much as I don't like to do them tho, I must be good, cause it never seems to take me too long.

ive never had a problem using wd-40, or compressed air with putting  on grips and having any slip or "throttle" to them except once.(and i think it was i used to much product of the wd-40)
and luckily jimmy levan was around to show me to  use  the cheapest spray bomb paint  to put grips on.
since using jimmy's paint tech tip, ive never once had a grip slip on me again!
but yet again , all 3 have worked wonders over the years to get grips on easily , and to keep grips to stay in place(and the 1st account of having one slip using wd-40 -like i said it was prob user error-lol)

hope this helped!

take care-

tim

timk4130!

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 12:22:25 PM »
changing my broken freecoaster axle with no good tools to tighten it after... :angry:

yeah ,not good- been there , done that!

its like  saying "

square peg, round hole!!!"

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 01:42:38 PM »
Tiers, but always cause i'm so stoaked to go ride on new tiers that I try and rush it and end up pinching the tube or somthing.

if I actually took my time and did it propper there would be no issue...  :rolleyes:
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 02:11:43 PM »
I hate getting the side to side play out of my nankai when I regrease it.

It takes me forever to get it dialed.

Other than that the rest is cake! :D

Offline Revan23

• Cliffhanger
  • stop raining!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 03:34:22 PM »
definatly brakes,  with everything else it either works or it doesn't... tweakin brakes is a nightmare cause no matter what you do they are never perfect

Offline bloodysabbath

• Forkglider
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 04:18:13 PM »
the most loathed eh?
i'd have to say having a bike that works perfectly fine while its more than god f*cking damn minus 30 degrees celcius out. that would have to be it for me.