Poll

What is it?

Changing grips
Cranks
Taking apart hub
Changing tires
Tweakin brakes

Author Topic: Most loathed part of bike work?  (Read 10375 times)

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Most loathed part of bike work?
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2008, 07:11:25 PM »
tires are a peace of cake for me, what i hate most is truing. with it being so time consuming i often lose concentration and end up doing double the work. :angry: :angry:
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline godsgreengrass

• Backpacker
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 07:17:57 PM »
most loathed part    the chain wheel och-- second that bottom gyro paart i dont use anymore

Offline Raymon

• Backpacker
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 07:58:57 PM »
why does every-one think tires are the most difficult i can get my freakking intergrated headsit right-_- can get the little cone over my tanaka forks -_- so i use the cone from a normal headset

put some grease on it first...then hammer gently. You could use a wide screwdriver to direct the blows on the inner edge of the fork-race (its not called a cone).

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 09:47:32 PM »
1) Broken spokes... nothing pees on my parade like looking down and seeing spokes swinging around, cause it then means I have to remove all sorts of crap to fix it.
2) Having to disassemble my whole front end any time I'm changing anything (bars, stem, spacers) since the brake cable has to come out. Soon to be remedied with some ideas that I'm going to be implementing, but nevertheless, a pain.
3) Stripped out anything. Although there's no getting around it, I hate threaded aluminum parts (brake levers, stems, etc.) for this reason.

Offline David (Toucan)

• Free Speech? Nahhh
  • Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2008, 06:55:19 AM »
2) Having to disassemble my whole front end any time I'm changing anything (bars, stem, spacers) since the brake cable has to come out. Soon to be remedied with some ideas that I'm going to be implementing, but nevertheless, a pain.

I hate that about the front end also :angry: :angry:
Bikes--> Put The Fun Between Your Legs

Offline PMJ Indy

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2008, 07:51:07 AM »
My first job was at Supreme Bicycles (now Circle City Bicycles) here in Indy and all I have to say on this particular topic is:  if you can change a tire on a wheel chair,  you can do anything.  That was back in the 80's and to this day,  my oldest brother,  who is overly macho,  and is empolyed by me.....,  says on a daily basis that I have "monkey grip fingers".

ahhh the storied I could tell.  I should start a thread.

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2008, 10:29:54 PM »

Drill out the compression bolt so the lever cable end thing can fit through it....Youll never have to unbolt the cable from the brake..

sh*t I dont even ride with my compression bolt on,I just use it to tighten the headset,after that it comes off and rests in my toolbox..No problems..

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2008, 12:23:51 AM »

Drill out the compression bolt so the lever cable end thing can fit through it....Youll never have to unbolt the cable from the brake..

**** I dont even ride with my compression bolt on,I just use it to tighten the headset,after that it comes off and rests in my toolbox..No problems..

I need to do that on my back up bike's older Odyssey fork compression bolt. Luckily, my 2008 came with the newer flush mount  compression bolt that can pass the cable through...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 12:27:00 AM by Ultraman Zoffy »