Author Topic: Save the Southbank  (Read 6653 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Save the Southbank
« on: February 13, 2008, 06:17:02 PM »
John Findlay informed us about a petition to save the famous Southbank spot:

"According to DeathGrip the SouthBank spot in London is in jeopardy of being torn down for development. Phil Dolan once lived there, and who could forget James White´s section from Groundwork?
There is a petition to be signed, that you may wish to inform the globalflat readers about."

Dear readers, you are informed now ;-) It´s time to sign! More info here:
- http://blog.defgrip.net/archives/2132#more-2132
- http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/saveSB/

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Save the Southbank
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 06:30:22 PM »
Hasn't everyone pretty much migrated to the TGM by now though? Seems like even if Southbank gets plowed, the UK riders come out ahead with an even better spot...

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 06:34:40 PM »
It's more to do with the heritage and history that surrounds the spot.

Its not finding a place to ride thats the problem, there are loads of spots nearby to ride that are much better than SB. It's all about the history, where you saw your first BMX, how many photos have been taken there, whats gone down and who spotted who riding there in '88 etc etc.

Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

TJ Perry

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 06:39:31 PM »

Its not finding a place to ride thats the problem, there are loads of spots nearby to ride that are much better than SB. It's all about the history, where you saw your first BMX, how many photos have been taken there, whats gone down and who spotted who riding there in '88 etc etc.

Why are we so strung out on the history of a flat piece of concrete? Honestly the history comes from the riders and their accomplishments much more than any particular spot. I like James whites stuff from groundwork on that huge outdoor court more anyway.

byke

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 06:54:22 PM »
its in the heart of london and is a institution in regards to its history, both past and present.

Offline JAY1WM

• Cliffhanger
  • 1WM
    • 1WMBMX
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 07:19:04 PM »
if it was still rideable we (tgm) would still go there, save it pls we need your help, it was my 2nd home for years, and is still good in the summer.
so many good memory's i want some more.

byke

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 07:26:11 PM »
for anyone who hasnt seen the film "rollin through the decades" (skate film) .... watch it from a skaters point of you and just from this view you will understand it significance.

Offline Martin

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 07:30:49 PM »
Someone should add the Southbank to the spot section  o-o-o

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 07:50:15 PM »
its in the heart of london and is a institution in regards to its history, both past and present.
I heart SB! I've signed this already.

We seriously need to preserve the Southbank. I dare say without the SouthBank, none of this **** would never of happened!!

If it can be saved & redeveloped then BMX still has a CENTRAL LONDON Home for the scene to continually evolve and grow in a very public spot.

Honestly I go down there sometimes after work and see the Bmxers/Skaters doing their thing, is a very inspiring thing to still watch & see.

Long Live the South Bank even if it smelt of piss sometimes. ^_^

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 07:53:45 PM by Flatlandism »
Flat-ism

h_man

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 07:55:44 PM »
It was my second home from 1987-1992 had many a good time riding flat & street there .Its been a mecca for bmx'ers & skaters for years  i'm signing up for this cause .AJU i miss you man you are South Bank to me bro you were there 24-7 original flat brother , props.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:05:21 AM by Urban Trickery »

h_man

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 07:57:36 PM »
for anyone who hasnt seen the film "rollin through the decades" (skate film) .... watch it from a skaters point of you and just from this view you will understand it significance.

Watched it,i've got it a few of my friends are in it.The documentory Winston made is a fine piece of film. :beer:

h_man

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 07:59:42 PM »

Why are we so strung out on the history of a flat piece of concrete? Honestly the history comes from the riders and their accomplishments much more than any particular spot. I like James whites stuff from groundwork on that huge outdoor court more anyway.

Seriously TJ South Bank is more than a piece of concrete its part of the history that goes with it , it's legendary.

TJ Perry

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 08:24:56 PM »

Seriously TJ South Bank is more than a piece of concrete its part of the history that goes with it , it's legendary.
[/quote]

Hey trust me, I understand, but it's just going to be difficult to have the government preserve that area for skaters and bikers as opposed to money and redevelopment. just playing the devils advocate here.

timk4130

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 08:50:23 PM »
may be you could say it would be like taking the Alamo out of Texas............
and  more people would understand.......... i feel as this quote could pretty much have the same  meaning , just from a different perspective of people.

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
    • www.myspace/richardmccoy.com
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 08:52:36 PM »
JEEEZ can I get a petition to have ONE ridable spot in downtown ATL where security guards and homeless wont **** you outta your spot?

I personally wont sign a petition to preserve spot we dont hardly use.

That like getting kicked out of a tennis court no one plays tennis on.

:rolleyes:

Good cause but damn efforts could be spent elswhere.

I love some Johnny Findlay to!

I want to get a petition going to force the Varsity to repave their lott.

So flatlanders signpetition to help skaters out?

That kind of what I get from this. Good god skaters ben ****ing me outta spots for years.

Good luck though...I just think more good for more people would come from an actually taxable location than from allowing a shanty town to exist.

but im that dick..not the devils advocate...I rep me.

lol

Tim the Alamo still generates tax revenue and is more than simply nostalgic. Its not some demising location..

I dont think a petition is going to stop investors.

If you develope an idea where it can profit then you might have a chance.

Its not like some rare Speckled South Bank Beetle is going to go extinct if this were to happen.

Maybe we got spoiled a little after we convinced the worlds local government to build all those skateparks for us in the 80's..

oh yeah that was to solve the skate issue.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 08:54:43 PM by JFos »
Schramm’s Law: “The single most important contributor to a nation’s economic growth is the number of startups that grow to a billion dollars in revenue within 20 years.”